Inside the MS462C - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel Usage??? Power and Noise, come'on man, get with the program. If you could cut a 30" log in 13 seconds, would you hesitate to spend several $100s in modifications, and use 2 times (or 3 or 4 or 5 times) as much gas to cut the same log in 12 seconds??? Duh!!! I thought not.

I am on pins and needles waiting for Reagan's StarWars Technology to make it to our level of application, so I can incinerate and entire tree in a micro second. The hell with burning wood, when we can just vaporize it!!! :)
The world just rotated back 10 * degrees! Agree with your post !:yes::drinkingcoffee:

With a tuned pipe ;)

Tonight I hope! I get home from work about 5:00 and sunset is at 5:13. That should give me enough daylight to make a few cuts.
Attention! Attention! Everyone synchronize your watch ... between 5 and 5:13 today we shall finally see the “piece de la resistance “

the strato ports were added to 2strokes to purge the exhaust gas from the cylinder before the fresh charge enters the cylinder. it seems to me that gutting the stratos is just pumping fuel out the muffler. if i'm wrong, please explain

Would widening the transfers to reduce velocity help in that regard, or do you think that you would wind up with more residual exhaust gas?

the strato ports were added to 2strokes to purge the exhaust gas from the cylinder before the fresh charge enters the cylinder. it seems to me that gutting the stratos is just pumping fuel out the muffler. if i'm wrong, please explain
I agree ... now if you left them stock and allowed a tiny bit of mix into the stratos via tunnel or hole maybe at high-rpm you wood get some performance gain but not suffer the drawbacks ... just an opinion

Attention! Attention! Everyone synchronize your watch ... between 5 and 5:13 today we shall finally see the “piece de la resistance “

It might take him a few minutes to get back in the house lets give him till 6. BTW none of the big Stihl distributers here in wa are selling them yet.. Madsens has a couple crews using them for feedback but they aren't available to purchase yet. And usually Madsens will be the first. Looks like the 500 might have some clutch problems the 462 is doing well but the fallers are preferring the 461 ATM.... Of course fallers hate any change.

It might take him a few minutes to get back in the house lets give him till 6. BTW none of the big Stihl distributers here in wa are selling them yet.. Madsens has a couple crews using them for feedback but they aren't available to purchase yet. And usually Madsens will be the first. Looks like the 500 might have some clutch problems the 462 is doing well but the fallers are preferring the 461 ATM.... Of course fallers hate any change.
Yah , 461 is an excellent Saw ... especially when modded ! Word is the 462cm might not be as well suited to a longer (28-32”) bar ... several builders have commented on this .... they are available in Canada as of Nov 1st .... heard Jan/Feb ish for 462cm R model in USA

It's just a short three cut video, but it's all I can give you for now. As before, cut times are very inconsistent due to the wood changing size, a big knot in the wood, and purposefully varying the load in order to demonstrate the powerband. Never the less, I'm guessing that I have maybe a 20%-25% going over muffler mod and timing advance. The saw runs perfectly with WAY more lugging power than stock.

Yah , 461 is an excellent Saw ... especially when modded ! Word is the 462cm might not be as well suited to a longer (28-32”) bar ... several builders have commented on this .... they are available in Canada as of Nov 1st .... heard Jan/Feb ish for 462cm R model in USA
It's more about heavy vs light than long vs short. More 'pacifically' Stihl lite.
Its less in counter weight and likely the leverage design but a 36" Stihl lite would be appropriate. Better than a 36 heavy on a 461 by a long shot and that would not have being out of the ordinary.
I ran heavy Oregon on 372 before lite bars.
That's hard to level while extending your arms fully by the 5th hour of the day.

That's when I would 'go fishig' cast the saw higher than you want to cut and and stick the dog then drag it
down and set level off the dogs.
Try when you have to do it all one handed and walk it down.
Nose in a slot for finger grips and lean out and do all that with one hand and one foot at day end. After the second time, one things "I should have stayed in school.

Yeah lite bars are the answer. It may not like a 26" heavy bar? Doesn't matter.

As far as oiling a longer bar for falling ?That shouldn't be an issue at all.
The work is proportionate.
That's why the saw builds are proportionate. No 'one trick pony' builds

You cut in thirds, you build in thirds.
Kind of like saws are tested.

Back