Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one 3 years ago and had the stumble off of idle to full throttle for awhile . Took it to the dealer and they coulnt get it to stumble so I ran it some more cause it only had 3 tanks thru it at the time. I have used it this past summer with no issues. the more I ran it the better it was. thanks for this review brad .

I watched your video Brad, and was shocked to see the OE branded Powermatch bar. Do the extra few ounces throw the balance off and make the saw handle poorly? How is it wearing after 2 tanks...about wore out? :p

The original 555s known as 'Triple Nickels' were an all-Black parachute infantry that served as smokejumpers during wartime (WWII). They jumped 36 fires. Wonder if the Swedes had any knowledge of that American history when they chose the model number on this saw?

Thanks for your technical contribution to the forum.

Do they run a limited coil to keep the saw from overreving?
That would protect the saw from itself.
It would run it's best but not rev to the point of slinging itself apart.

You just have to trust this magic smoke stuff, just don't let it escape!

I watched your video Brad, and was shocked to see the OE branded Powermatch bar. Do the extra few ounces throw the balance off and make the saw handle poorly? How is it wearing after 2 tanks...about wore out? :p
Actually, it balances very nicely with this bar. My Tsumura T&L won't be here until later this week and I wanted a bar now. This was the next best thing local.

The original 555s known as 'Triple Nickels' were an all-Black parachute infantry that served as smokejumpers during wartime (WWII). They jumped 36 fires. Wonder if the Swedes had any knowledge of that American history when they chose the model number on this saw?
Are you saying that I need to paint this saw black? I could start a new trend of "Theme Saws":ices_rofl::rock:

It signals the servo that replaces the H needle in the carb to either add or pull fuel. Depending on how that affects RPM, it will make another adjustment, thereby constantly tuning for max RPMs. There are no other parameters besides RPMs for WOT tuning.
?Wouldn't it hit max RPMs near a lean seizure limit? There have to be some other controls or limits to prevent this.

Just trying to understand.

Philbert

So if I'm understanding this right, you have to put a husky AT saw through some kind of learning sequence to tune itself, right? So does it keep tuning itself as it runs afterward? Do you have to put an Mtronic saw through a similar learning mode or does it do it all on the go?

They remember the last run time parameters.

That is great most of the time......but if you were last running the saw at 25F and you get it out next time when it's 95F, it's gonna take it a little while to start behaving correctly.

Max RPMs in the cut is not the same as max RPMs at WOT, then trying to cut with it. What I explained is right out of a Stihl tech document.

And I am not challenging you Brad, just trying to understand. How does the saw 'know' that it is in a cut versus WOT? Any idea? There must be some kind of sensor or value it measures to know this.

Thanks.

Philbert

When we port these saws we increase their demand for airflow. That increased airflow pulls more fuel from the carb......it is still just a carbed engine.
Then we need to add a cold air intake so we can get more incoming air

Back