Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I intended to take pics. But once I get going, I don't like to slow down. It'll probably be back apart again. I've got a set of 562 transfer covers coming. I want to see if they make much difference.
Well either the larger covers will flow better, or because the saw lacks crank stuffers, the charge will slowdown. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Well either the larger covers will flow better, or because the saw lacks crank stuffers, the charge will slowdown. It will be interesting to see what happens.

All things equal, the charge will be at a lower pressure and travel slower with larger (volume) covers. However, if you get more charge in (longer intake duration) to fill the larger volume, you should see a benefit feeding the bigger transfers. At least that is how I see it.

Well, I don't know what to think. Cut times don't show any improvement. However, I'm moving towards a large knot in the wood, and the wood is now frozen. We've had 10° weather since the first vids and the wood has been covered with snow since Sunday night. When listening to the before and after vids, back to back, I can hear a significant improvement in in the wood RPMs. I'm still not happy though. It does not run like the ported 562s I've ran from both Randy and Terry. I'm bummed :( On the bright side, it runs absolutely perfectly. It started in 3 pulls from cold and has no hesitation of any kind.

BTW, I made 10 cuts on the other end of this log before making the test cuts. As well as it runs, I really don't it has anything to do with it learning. I could be wrong though.

I'm thinking I should buy a 2260 and swap topends. I'll wait and see how these 562 transfer covers help first. This is why I originally said I should start with either a 562 or 2260. Right now I don't know if it's my porting or the saw itself.

get out your syringe and some oil, then you can tell us. :)

Yours look cast. Brad's look stamped.

Out of interest is the only mods you've done the ones in the pics? I have found both the inlet and exhaust ports are far more closed up than the previous models, whilst you've also left a lot in the transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the covers I have.......are they different?
My right side cover is 6931 01/4.

IMG_3901-L.jpg

I'm gonna be doing my shipping on Friday Brad. I'll get those covers out then.

If you can hear the improvement......then it's there. The wood may be killing it.
I just went back out and ran it again. Maybe it is learning. It seemed to feel a little stronger. It'll hold 11,000-11,500 with a light/medium load and 9,500 when pushing on it. That's not so bad.

Out of interest is the only mods you've done the ones in the pics? I have found both the inlet and exhaust ports are far more closed up than the previous models, whilst you've also left a lot in the transfers.

This saw is modded identically to the 550s I do, which is identical to this saw in every way I can see. That is except the transfer covers and lack of crank stuffers.

These saws are a little different than the older saws. They operate on velocity rather than volume. Brad is on the right track.......trust me on that. I've done about 50 562s and a slew of 550s.

They are different Brad. I'll get em in the mail in the morning. I just finished boxing them up. |

There looks like a lot of difference in the depth of them to me.
You da man! Thanks Randy. This pic that Mitch took shows both cover PNs with the 555 on the left and 562 on the right. You definitely have the covers I need!

8312322594_6b2766d72c_c.jpg

Back