Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
you didnt want to be known as a ****?:p steven.. good choice:D:chop:

Yeah it took 5 min of 6 grade to know that I was going by my middle name.;) :ices_rofl: Hell and that was 20 years ago. Nah, im a "II" never really deserved to be named after my Dad. I did a lot of wrong in my teens and brought shame to my parents name being stupid (nothing illegal). I have spent the last 11 ears trying to make atonement. Now that I have 3 children of my own, I appreciate my parents very much. Enough of that spill though!:D

blsnelling
She's all done and running like a dream. It fired right up, idled perfectly, and has instant throttle response, just like a ported saw should. What's not to like? Unfortunately, it's too late to cut with it. I can't wait to get this thing in some wood!

Here are the final port timings:
Exhaust - 103°
Transfers - 114°
Intake - 79°
Compression - 180 PSI

This saw is a clone of a 550 in every way I see. The port timings on this saw are within 1° of what I put in that last 550 that ran so well. I'm also within 1° of where this saw would have been stock before any machining, with the exception of the intake being lower from dropping the jug. I'm very pleased with the compression. I'm up 35 PSI from where I started.

blsnelling
I personally think 180-190 psi is ideal for a strong woods saw.

Going to show any pictures of the port work?
I intended to take pics. But once I get going, I don't like to slow down. It'll probably be back apart again. I've got a set of 562 transfer covers coming. I want to see if they make much difference.

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
Could you explain this a little better? What's the other .023? The way Brads doing it would get the ports back near stock without having to cut them. Cutting the squish out of the cyl would result in lower port timing, right?

I'm all about accheiving a higher compression ratio, without hindering flow across the piston crown. A popup will hinder flow. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Heavy carbon buildup, uneven piston wash and even detonation.

How many saws came factory with a pop-up piston? Only one that I'm aware of, the 028 super.

Nobody ever wonders why?

Is it the lower port timing numbers you like better?

On some saws, yes. Others, no.

Latest posts