Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duhhhh,

remember your old avi there?

Clowns still creep me out:laugh:

Oh..U mean this guy?

pennywise-clown-it.jpg

I was waiting for someone to cry, lol. It works! I've seen no evidence at all to suggest that there is a measurable difference in performance between cutting the squishband and making a popup. From what I see, cutting the squishband is a useful method when needing to lower exhaust or transfer port timing, or when wanting more compression than can be had with a popup. Neither of those are a requirement for this build.

Lame....

Man up already!!!

You forgot the other .023

Seriously, I've done both. The chamber cut ones are on a different level. Real, usable, rpm maintaining torque to go with those rpm. 8 pin torque.

But I digress...
Same compression and port timing in both? In other words, did you isolate it to popup vs squishband cut? I have not seen that done.

You forgot the other .023

Seriously, I've done both. The chamber cut ones are on a different level. Real, usable, rpm maintaining torque to go with those rpm. 8 pin torque.

But I digress...
Could you explain this a little better? What's the other .023? The way Brads doing it would get the ports back near stock without having to cut them. Cutting the squish out of the cyl would result in lower port timing, right? Is it the lower port timing numbers you like better?

Jeremy is twisting my arm to do something I've wanted to for a long time. I'm going to finish building this saw with a popup, just like I do most of my saws. What he's trying to talk me into doing is replacing the piston and then cutting the squishband the same as the height of my popup. Hopefully compression would come out close. I want to isolate this change, as much as possible, to just the popup vs squishband cut. I'm just not sure I want to go back in there and raise the exhaust and transfers up that .040". I guess this as accurate of a test as you could make it. Only one way to find out..right? Besides, it's all for the good of the community!:ices_rofl:

Oh thank heavens, I thought he just didn't like you. well i feel much better now.
noah clown.JPG My sons halloween costume even scarier he was carrying a mac 10-10 filled with dino mix at 52.5:1 most likely it would never start so the bigger hazard is if he threw it at you

Please excuse my ignorance, I am very non mechanical, but what is a pop up? Is this the little ledge on top of the piston, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of this type of piston?

Back