Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my 2260 but be careful with the recoil an decomp. Did this Sat......
725653e9f56c99610bee61771dc5408a.jpg
broke the post clean off!

What a bummer! Another reason I like magnesium saws. I'd rather pack the extra 1/2 pound than replace a bunch of broken plastic parts. Sorry for your luck on the recoil.

OK, finally some "inside" pictures.

I've been running Maxima K2 lately and noticing that it seems to smoke more than normal on a cold startup. I think I just found why. The insides of this 555 are majorly coated in oil. That's a good thing!

IMG_4040-L.jpg

IMG_4041-L.jpg

There is some carbon buildup already, after 1 1/2 tanks. I'm not sure what to thing about that. Probably normal.
IMG_4042-L.jpg

IMG_4043-L.jpg

There's a puddle of oil on the rod. It doesn't show up well in the picture.
IMG_4045-L.jpg

IMG_4046-L.jpg

IMG_4048-L.jpg

IMG_4049-L.jpg

IMG_4053-L.jpg

IMG_4056-L.jpg

IMG_4057-L.jpg

IMG_4058-L.jpg

IMG_4060-L.jpg

Here's the offending stepped squish band. The very outer band is .008" tall, then the next band is .009" tall.
IMG_4068-L.jpg

IMG_4071-L.jpg

IMG_4072-L.jpg

Here's the squishband post cleanup. It doesn't show well in the pic, but the steps are completely removed. What looks like a small ridge in the middle of the band is actually polished NiSi. I tried to get past that and it was just polishing it.
IMG_4082-L.jpg

Sorry about the poor lighting. Not much detail left.
IMG_4088-L.jpg

IMG_4090-L.jpg

IMG_4091-L.jpg

K2 leaves a good film. I think better than belray and about the same as motul.

It runs just a little on the dirty side as well. Perhaps that's not a bad thing after all.
I'm not worried about the dirty running stuff after tearing down. A saw with 5-6 gallons of the klotz. It was a thin coating on the piston.

I'm not liking the carbon after 1 1/2 tanks. Haven't seen anything as clean running as belray. Nice pics keep em coming :)

Normally I wouldn't either. This was enough difference to get my attention. If it's due to a superior coating of oil, I'm cool with that!

I have experienced the opposite, less smoke/smell period, when compared to the other oils I've used. Do you think maybe the AT is still adjusting itself, and is running rich at idle and maybe WOT as well?

Glad you finally got your hands on one of those smoking hot little Husky 60cc saw.:D

You might be right Andy....my AT saws smoke little more when cold than the adjustable carb saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not liking the carbon after 1 1/2 tanks. Haven't seen anything as clean running as belray. Nice pics keep em coming :)

I have ran numerous oils from OEM to the high end stuff. The piston crowns all look similar. The ports and combustion chamber is where full synthetics shine. Fuel comes into play as well.

Enough with this oil ****. Is the saw ported yet? I figured you'd be out cutting in the nice warm weather.

Latest posts

Back