Installing electronic module on 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
031AV fix on a bad condensor use a WIMA 630 chip fale safe app (No Timing or Carb Adjustments Needed)..cost $1.85

031AVE fix with module use a yellow Atom chip form NAPA auto (No Timing Adjustments Needed)..cost $19.00
Mounting of the module under the inside top cover is fine to earth the module take 15 minutes once you remove the top cover

Search using Google

In your search do it like this

"Stihl 031AV aboristsite" and it will give you the 031 hits on this web site first.

031AV fix on a bad condensor use a WIMA 630 chip fale safe app (No Timing or Carb Adjustments Needed)..cost $1.85

031AVE fix with module use a yellow Atom chip form NAPA auto (No Timing Adjustments Needed)..cost $19.00
Mounting of the module under the inside top cover is fine to earth the module take 15 minutes once you remove the top cover

What we need to know on the WIMA capacitor is what uf capacitance it is? Also is it a polyester film, polypropylene film, pulse film, or a SMD film capacitor. All you have given is the voltage at 630 volts.

A person can then go to Mouser Electronics and get some of these.

Thanks

I searched on Google for the arboristsite and found it. Thanks to Flyboy

Capacitor, polypropylene film WIMA MKP4 0.22uF 630Volt 10% tolerance

Then the problem comes to finding one? Seems like >250V will be OK?

Mouser's number is 800 346 6873

You glue it down with silicone where the original capacitor was and solder the wires to it. One wire to the points and one to the block.
Here's what it looks like . . .
attachment.php

Installing an electronic unit(update) on the 031 was always a tight fit! I used to install the little Stihl unit(About the size of the Atom),it mounted on top of the coil sort of,and was a tight fit to get the saw back together but they worked. I also installed some Atom modules in the 031 too,I mounted them the same way,it was a tight fit,a miserable job but they worked. One thing I remember,on the Atom instructions it mentioned in rare cases you had to reverse the 2 Atom wires to get spark and the 031 was one of the few saws I had to do that sometimes.
So sometimes it's easier just to put points and condenser back in them,they were reliable and would run for years. A handy tool for a points job was to have an old points flywheel and knock the center out of it-the points cam. Then you can install the points and set them easy without the flywheel in the way,then when they are set ,take the cam off and install the flywheel.

Note: On a few old points 031's they had weak spark even with all new components,the "magneto edge gap" was out of whack. The cure was to set the points with less gap,about .014"

This may be an old thread, but I like how folks will always have more input and details to add that really help with DIY fixes for these older saws.

I mounted the module I got from napa under the air filter cover and it worked just great once I changed the flywheel timing.

You have to take the flywheel key out and advance the flywheel about 1&1/2 key widths or switch to an electronic flywheel which is timed right for you aftermarket module. There is a thread here somewhere but I couldn't find it when I searched. I thought the thread was called "031 flywheels revealed!" but it didn't come up in my search.

Is this flywheel adjustment spec. (1 and 1/2) key width also true for the 032?

I searched on Google for the arboristsite and found it. Thanks to Flyboy

Capacitor, polypropylene film WIMA MKP4 0.22uF 630Volt 10% tolerance

Then the problem comes to finding one? Seems like >250V will be OK?

Mouser's number is 800 346 6873

You glue it down with silicone where the original capacitor was and solder the wires to it. One wire to the points and one to the block.
Here's what it looks like . . .
attachment.php

I have lots of the 0.22uf 630Volt 10% tolerance WIMA chips in both sizes for this app I use the small one for the 031 app. I do not have any WIMA chips with the 0.47uf as pictured...PM if anybody needs one

What is an omega module from napa, is there a part number It might fix my saw.

SME 701749 is the Napa part I used. I'm pretty sure the flywheel thing is only for the 031 with points. The 031 electronic flywheel has the timing change built into it.

I have lots of the 0.22uf 630Volt 10% tolerance WIMA chips in both sizes for this app I use the small one for the 031 app. I do not have any WIMA chips with the 0.47uf as pictured...PM if anybody needs one

Yes I have a couple hundred of the small 630v 0.22uf 10% tolerance in stock for all chainsaws apps...I bought them all:rock:

Latest posts

Back