Interesting Chat with Stihl Dealer today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're missing out - my dealer keeps used saws and parts, and when they get caught up in the service department, they make rebuilt saws out of the parts saws, and then sell them in the store or on eBay. They also strip saws and resell the parts on eBay from time to time.

Some used stuff is junk, obviously, but a lot of it is cash waiting to be made.

The real value here really is in the used parts. We sell them for half the cost of new, so it's a win-win for both us and the customers. We make more money on a dead saw than a new one.

I like building saws from the junkers for myself, but business wise, it's far less profitable than selling the parts. Plus, it's tough to really warranty any of these creations so I stay away from selling them.

The real value here really is in the used parts. We sell them for half the cost of new, so it's a win-win for both us and the customers. We make more money on a dead saw than a new one.

I like building saws from the junkers for myself, but business wise, it's far less profitable than selling the parts. Plus, it's tough to really warranty any of these creations so I stay away from selling them.

This warranty part is one that I hadn't thought of.

Over here, saws that turn out to be basket cases and are abandoned at dealers turn up on the bay as spares or repairs and sell for silly money. I`m always on the sniff for saws but apart from a stack of homelites that a farming mate dug out of his barn and i can have, the trail is cold.
It would be a shame to think of quality, but busted saws having a 10lb sledge applied to them and sent to landfill, but if its anything like `white goods`(fridges/freezers) here, they offer to take away the old one when you buy new. On the face of it its great, but they just want to reduce the amount of used items in circulation so folk are forced to buy new.

Back