interesting copy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know thats a copy of a stihl 070 rather than a 076 which looks quite different. They were advertised on ebay a while ago for around $250 US new - sent from china.
Its a bit heavy for 107cc saw but it could make a fun project saw if you put a cheap after market 090 137cc P & C on it.

If you want to run Stihl out of business that's the way to do it, just buy a cheap Chinese clone. That's what's happening to most reputable manufacturers because the Chinese have no sense of morality. They buy 1 item, disassemble it, and manufacture all the parts and put it back together, sometimes using the original label, sometimes using a label of their own. In America we have trademark and patent laws but apparently China doesn't play that game.

If you want to run Stihl out of business that's the way to do it, just buy a cheap Chinese clone. That's what's happening to most reputable manufacturers because the Chinese have no sense of morality. They buy 1 item, disassemble it, and manufacture all the parts and put it back together, sometimes using the original label, sometimes using a label of their own. In America we have trademark and patent laws but apparently China doesn't play that game.

I guess you know Stihl doesn't make this saw anymore, it's hard to steal business from them if they don't make "that" saw....

there is nothing new about patents expiring and other companys producing parts.

If its a popular item and the original manufacturer does not build it anymore
than more power to them.

Check our favorite site sponsor Baileys for 070-090 parts and find out where those parts come from.

My favorite of many repop items is that you can buy a
brand new 1947 harley knucklehead that does not have a single harley part on it. :)

aftermarket parts is a bazillion dollar industry.

Last edited:
Little hard to get my hands on one of those though Bill, I do understand what you guys are talking about though. I really like to keep my money in this country, local if possible.

Little hard to get my hands on one of those though Bill, I do understand what you guys are talking about though. I really like to keep my money in this country, local if possible.

I do not think getting one would be as paying for one.

Bill

There is no right or wrong in this. If we applied the logic of "no one other than GM can make parts for GM cars" then most of us would be up in arms about being stung for GM brand brake pads, when the EBC ones are half the price and better. The fact that other companies can produce parts increases the competition and forces Stihl or GM to innovate and become smarter.

The reality is that, just like Japan, China will eventually produce parts that are as good, if not better than the originals. Look at Honda GX engines - I'd take them over a B&S or Kohler any day, but 20 years ago, Japanese stuff was poor quality and cheap.

Where I draw the line is the blatant attempts to pass off products as originating from the original manufacturer. Right now, their quality is also far too variable and generally poor, so I don't buy Chinese stuff if I can possibly help it. What they will find is that by starting to embrace more western styles of employment (which cost more), their quality will rise, but so will the price. They won't be cheap rubbish anymore, they will be mid priced quality.

I posted this as a subject for discussion. The saw isnt being sold as counterfeit as it clearly states it is `based on`a saw by a known manufacturer, rather than being passed off as a legitimate article for which you would pay a higher price.
Things are frequently copied but the quality is unlikely to be as good and most folk want the real deal so will pay for it. The problem arises where deception is involved.

I thought 070`s and 090`s were no longer made by Stihl.If they are, then why do older ones remain valuable?Surely new ones can be independantly imported.I would suspect they are only sold in poorer countries at a much cheaper price point and no safety regulations.

Just curious.:)

I thought 070`s and 090`s were no longer made by Stihl.If they are, then why do older ones remain valuable?Surely new ones can be independantly imported.I would suspect they are only sold in poorer countries at a much cheaper price point and no safety regulations.

Well even though the 070 is still sold new in some countries that does not mean they are sold at a discount. I believe you find that the 070 is a very expensive saw no matter where it is sold. I would imagine that a new 070 in Mexico would cost as much if not more than a new MS880 here in the USA. Then add in the hassle of trying to get them here and it gets much more expensive.

Bill

Well even though the 070 is still sold new in some countries that does not mean they are sold at a discount. I believe you find that the 070 is a very expensive saw no matter where it is sold. I would imagine that a new 070 in Mexico would cost as much if not more than a new MS880 here in the USA. Then add in the hassle of trying to get them here and it gets much more expensive.

Bill

Last time I checked(2-3 months ago)
Stihl MS 070, straight from Juan in Mexico is around $1100-1200 out the cantina!

I posted this as a subject for discussion. The saw isnt being sold as counterfeit as it clearly states it is `based on`a saw by a known manufacturer, rather than being passed off as a legitimate article for which you would pay a higher price.
Things are frequently copied but the quality is unlikely to be as good and most folk want the real deal so will pay for it. The problem arises where deception is involved.

As BillG said, they are not cheap in other countries!
There are bought for the specific use were a cheap knock off would not last.
And the cost of carrying it into the mostly remote spot it is used, quality does matter.
Keep in mind I own Harbor Freight tools! LOL!!!

What I was trying to say before is that if I am paying the price for a Stihl chainsaw, which are pricy chainsaws, I want to get a Stihl chainsaw even if it is a model no longer in production, rather than a cheap knockoff made in China. If it says "Stihl" model whatever on the label it should be made by Stihl. Now if they make a saw similar to a Stihl that says Hang Wong on the label that's a different matter, but I still wouldn't buy it because their intent is obvious (to me). That's my opinion of how companies get run out of business; people see a chainsaw that looks just like a Stihl but sells for $129 instead of $369 so they fall for it. It doesn't matter that the saw is made of inferior materials and the engine won't last half as long, the damage is done because Stihl lost a potential sale. Like stated, eventually the quality of the knock off is just as good as the original as the fake company gains experience and the original company has to cut costs in order to compete.

What I was trying to say before is that if I am paying the price for a Stihl chainsaw, which are pricy chainsaws, I want to get a Stihl chainsaw even if it is a model no longer in production, rather than a cheap knockoff made in China. If it says "Stihl" model whatever on the label it should be made by Stihl. Now if they make a saw similar to a Stihl that says Hang Wong on the label that's a different matter, but I still wouldn't buy it because their intent is obvious (to me). That's my opinion of how companies get run out of business; people see a chainsaw that looks just like a Stihl but sells for $129 instead of $369 so they fall for it. It doesn't matter that the saw is made of inferior materials and the engine won't last half as long, the damage is done because Stihl lost a potential sale. Like stated, eventually the quality of the knock off is just as good as the original as the fake company gains experience and the original company has to cut costs in order to compete.

+1
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten!

I donnot see much deception in this ad. I think it is up to the consumer to make the wise choice. Just remember that it is here in North America and other capitalist countries who are always promoting free markets. If other companies can make a cheaper product and find a market for them; more power to them. All the China bashing gets a little old after a while--more often than not is our own North American companies that outsource parts and products to other countries to boost profits for share holders--people like us. The alternative is huge government protectionism and Fordist type economics--we all know how well that worked out--just ask the big three! In the end the cunsumer has to make the most informed choice--more often than not you get what you pay for.

Tim

I donnot see much deception in this ad. I think it is up to the consumer to make the wise choice. Just remember that it is here in North America and other capitalist countries who are always promoting free markets. If other companies can make a cheaper product and find a market for them; more power to them. All the China bashing gets a little old after a while--more often than not is our own North American companies that outsource parts and products to other countries to boost profits for share holders--people like us. The alternative is huge government protectionism and Fordist type economics--we all know how well that worked out--just ask the big three! In the end the cunsumer has to make the most informed choice--more often than not you get what you pay for.

Tim
I guess I should be talking to people who understand R & D and how much it costs to bring a product to market.

"Stihl 070" China chainsaw

If you want to buy one of the cheap Chinese knock off chain saws then go to www.Alibaba.com and get it for about $250.00. Don't make some middleman rich selling junk, nice margin buy 10 at $250.00 each and eBay them at $1000.00 each. Check out all the suppliers at Alibaba most have min orders, some of the saws say Stihl and some other brand names like Emas but they are knock off Stihl 070 saws. Be careful, as the quality from one supplier to the next can go from sorta OK to total junk.
Brad H

Latest posts

Back