Interesting ebay auction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatsnext said:
You've been listening to your Snap-On rep a little too much. If you choose not to buy chinese goods for political reasons I have to respect that but to claim this is a bottom of the barrel tool is nonsense unless you have used one and it doesn't sound like that is the case. .
I have used these cheap plasma cutters. The rep that was selling them i told him that if it would last 4 months in my shop i would buy 10 of them. little over 2 months go by and it goes down because of the main board . It offers a second one and it made it 3.5 months . They were not used very hard becuse the performace was not good at all . I speak for myself and what i know , not what a dealer has to tell me . Also I'm not saying ALL China stuff is down right JUNK . Just most of it. 95% of what Harbor Freight sells is JUNK . This cheap China plasma cutter , tig welder , mig welder we talk about are JUNK . I'm not going to keep going on this topic because what said is said . I'm not going to change my mind and wish i had bought the cheaper garbage and your not going to wish you went with the good quality tool . ( untell it breaks down and or you cant get service for it ) So we will just go our ways about it and on the then next topic .

ebay saw and other view

Since I have a Dolmar 5100s, 401, and a Husky 359 , this saw is essential. When family or friends ask for a saw, this China made saw is what they get to use. It is functional, easy to start and I don't have to worry about my good saws getting ruined by raw gas:( . The 100 bucks is SO worth my peace of mind.;)

If you are on this site, you need a loaner saw. Necessary and just another reason to have an extra saw.:cheers:

try finding something that says made in japan now.

good luck.those were the good old days.as for plasma cutters and tools in general,you get waht you pay for.i have set V8 engine on top of my snap on tool box and it's fine.i wouldn't set a microwave on top of a craftsman.

i do 4x4 fab work and cut up many cars and trucks for parts.i can't count how many vehicles i have cut up and solid axle conversions i have done with the thermal dynamics.i bet you can count on one hand how many you can cut up with that chinese machine.the chinese made a few decent guns but that is it.i still prefer american and german guns.italian guns are nice too.the french can kiss my A$$! i ain't buying nothing from them!

Rspike said:
Exapmle: I bought a Webber Gas grill 10 years ago and still have it and it looks and works like it is still new . My brother buys the cheap $150. grill's at Wal-Mart every other year as they break down , fall apart , paint comes off ect ..ect... Now if you figure over 10 years he has now paid OVER $350. MORE than i did for the good quality grill . Mine was $450. 10 years ago and he has spent $750. in 10 years with lesser quality every year. Most of the time the lesser quality items ends up costing more in the long run . You are not saving money buying the cheaper quality items. You can hate me for it but it still does not change the facts .

You both are suckers. I have a Brinkman smoker. Paid $20 new. Use scrap wood FOR FREE. 8 years old.

AND my BBQ tastes better. Don't cut the wood with a wild thang though.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHa

Fred

Stepping Stones

Cheap tools 'can' be stepping stones when used for personal/hobby use. Each has to measure his own risk and what his hobby time is worth/hr. Add what you can when you can and upgrade as opportunity allows.

I ran a 115v import mig for a couple of years and then traded it and some other tools for a 230v Hobart which I used for several years and then sold and bought a 230v Miller. Every machine has paid it's way and given me the time to kick in a few bucks and move up. You could do similar w/ the Chinese plasma assuming you don't try and do work that exceeds its ability.

Shops can't take a chance on cheap tools - bad business plan. The cost of even a $2500 plasma can be lost in a few days of downtime. Plus the equipment generates income and is deductible, etc... just a different patch of onions...

Cost vs. downtime is how I got my 066 :biggrinbounce2: . Tree service lean seized it or otherwise smoked it and just bought a new saw. Time was far more costly than a saw (parts cost aside) and that 1998 066 had long since paid it's way for them anyway.

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Shops can't take a chance on cheap tools - bad business plan. The cost of even a $2500 plasma can be lost in a few days of downtime. Plus the equipment generates income and is deductible, etc... just a different patch of onions...

Chaser

Exactly, but in this case it's unlikely I would ever need a $2500 machine because I'm really happy with this one and that's the only reason I replied to Dean. It's very likely that both mine and Rspike's machine will be totally outdated in five years when I will loose almost nothing if I buy whatever's new. Not to say either machine won't work then there will just be something 'new and improved" for probably an even lower price. The MTBF of electronic devices is a pretty well known commodity and if these plasmas were as big a piece of junk as some here would think it's likely there would be many failures already.
John..

Last edited:
Mr. said:
You both are suckers. I have a Brinkman smoker. Paid $20 new. Use scrap wood FOR FREE. 8 years old.

AND my BBQ tastes better. Don't cut the wood with a wild thang though.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHa

Fred
O' , Now i didint said i didnt have a smoker , Ha . Cant live on gas alone . Gas is quick , but not the same . My smoker is "Rspike" brand . When you can fabricate you can build what you like . Well , most of the time . :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back