Internet Scams. Or If looks too good to be true...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Reaction score
Saw this ad on Craigslist in my area:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/288608591.html

Stihl MS 440 Chain Saw 20 in. bar Never Used Brand New - $450 (san jose east)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date: 2007-03-05, 3:24AM PST

Here it is (minus the pics) in case Craigslist kills the listing, which they probably will:

We purchased this in March because we were buying a piece of timber to build a home on. However, the deal fell through and we ended up building in a development and didn't have any need for a chain saw like this. The saw was non-returnable from the dealer we purchased it at. It has never been used!
This is a Stihl 20 inch MS 440 Magnum gas chain saw. Included with the chain saw are a storage case, an extra $30 oilomatic saw chain, a gallon of BAR oil, a 6-pack of 2-cycle oil, the instruction and safety manual, a blade cap, and a certified warranty that lasts until March of '07! We payed over $800 for the package from a John Deere deeler. The photos feature everything included!
This would make an excellent Christmas gift!!!

There were several pics of a BRAND NEW MS440Mag, a chain in Stihl OE packaging, a Stihl hardcase, bottles of oil...

All in all an extremely tempting situation. I thought it odd that the ad had, "would make an excellent Christmas gift!!!" and mentioned a warrantee that expires in March 2007 when the ad was posted 3/05/07. However, people have cut/pasted their old ads to repost before, so I thought it was no big deal.

I emailed the seller three times trying to get them to send me a phone# or call me on my cell. They replied twice with the same poorly typed/phrased response:

Hello

First I want to tell you that all my units are brand new and come with The Manufacturer's International Warranty. All accessories included.
I'm selling it for 450 US dollars. It is very important for me to protect my clients. I have 3 units available .I have big discounts for buying more than one unit. About the shipping, what can I say...I want to be safe and i think you do to. For that reason I chose escrow companies because they protect the buyer and the seller…..I deposit first the package, you verify it and send the payment to the escrow company. I will not receive the payment until you get the package, inspect it and sign for it. That way we are bout protected. If you are not familiar with this shipping way i could give you all the info that implies it.
REFOUND ---After the package arrives you have an 15 days period in which you can send the package back for an full and NO QUESTION refund, but you will pay for the shipping and handling back to me.

If you are interested in buying my item please email me ASAP.

Thank you

DANGER DANGER DANGER.

Suddenly, a listing for San Jose, California (USA) was being handled by some international dude with "clients", multiple "units" (what happened to the ONE saw purchased but never used?), and "escrow" companies.

Ahah. Yet another international BS scam...

They probably coppied a legitimate ad (undoubtably posted sometime before Christmas), then pasted said ad into their new posting. They modified the price to a "throw caution to the wind" level and put in their own contact info.

I reported this scam to Craigslist, and the posting can no longer be found with a "Chainsaw" or "Chain saw" search. I saved the URL, so for the moment it still comes up. It'll probably be dumped shortly.

The other ads that chap my hide are the ones that say, "MS360PRO, LOOK" or something similar. There's no mention of price. You've gotta click on the "MS360 PRO" which brings you to an EBay brokering listing containing many many saws from many diferent sellers. Often the original saw in question isn't even there.

Then there's the people that put "not Stihl, Husky, Echo, Pruner, Engine, etc......." in their post to gum up my searches. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! :bang:

OK, time to burn the soapbox!!! :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Gullible,

I am General Scamaderi Mospamm. Your relative, Deadguy, passed away recently, leaving a warehouse full of NOS Stihl 090 chainsaws. You are being his only survivable next or relative. In order to smuggle these saws out of my country to your rightful ownership, I require 97 bazillion dollars to bribe corrupt customs officials.

Honestly yours,
General Scamaderi Mospamm

Dear Mr. Gullible,

I am General Scamaderi Mospamm. Your relative, Deadguy, passed away recently, leaving a warehouse full of NOS Stihl 090 chainsaws. You are being his only survivable next or relative. In order to smuggle these saws out of my country to your rightful ownership, I require 97 bazillion dollars to bribe corrupt customs officials.

Honestly yours,
General Scamaderi Mospamm

:laugh: :ices_rofl: :laugh:

I just saw this scam relisted on Craigslist. This time he's in Santa Clara. Flagged that one too.

The last URL no longer comes up. It now takes you to a message from Craigslist stating "This posting has been flagged".

Bastard won't give up though... :spam: :chainsaw:

ebay fun

One thing that always bugs me is to see a great saw on ebay, with a low reserve or even BIN... but nobody's bidding. I always wonder what everybody else knows about the saw or the seller that I don't. :(

That, and the people selling Stihl owner's manuals. Hello? You can get those free from Stihl. Of course, if somebody wants to buy them...

One thing that always bugs me is to see a great saw on ebay, with a low reserve or even BIN... but nobody's bidding. I always wonder what everybody else knows about the saw or the seller that I don't. :(

That, and the people selling Stihl owner's manuals. Hello? You can get those free from Stihl. Of course, if somebody wants to buy them...

I agree but the funny thing is that all the best deals that I have gotten on ebay have been these items. It is usually because the seller has something strange either in his feedback or has done something weird in the wording of the listing.

I bought the MS361 for $300.00 that way and am very pleased with it.

Each time I have tried to contract the seller and get some information and get a feel for them by their return email and then bid in the last 30 seconds of the auction as it seems that items with no bids scare people off and if you bid early then others will bid as well.

Of course I realize that I am taking a big chance on these items and am prepared to take a hit if my fears come true. So far I have been very lucky as in every case I have been pleasantly surprised.

Then there are those guys that just misrepresent or have no idea what they are selling and I have gotten many items that just aren't what they are supposed to be, some better , some worse. I always take that into account when I bid.

I bought some computer memory that was defective but the manufacturer replaced it and the vendor came up with the shipping costs so that worked out ok.

With Ebay you take your chances so I am puzzled when people pay close to retail for stuff.

Of course it seems to me that lots of people care more about "Winning" on ebay than on getting good value. This goes back to the mentality of if no bids than someone must know something and if I get the item I am not winning but losing so stay away from those items. If someone else bids than I can "Win" the item from him.

I just saw this scam relisted on Craigslist. This time he's in Santa Clara. Flagged that one too.

The last URL no longer comes up. It now takes you to a message from Craigslist stating "This posting has been flagged".

Bastard won't give up though... :spam: :chainsaw:

He's back at it. Bastard is persistant. Listed as Novato this time...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/grd/313551614.html

Upped the price to $500.00. Otherwise, it's exactly the same as before...

Last edited:
And to think that I never knew I had folks in Nigeria.

He also got me a killer deal on pills to make my schwantz bigger and guaranteed me that I can make $30,000 in a month using his proven methods.

Chuck
LOL.
Um, yours died? Shame, mine just had inoperatable cancers (many I think), hm, never did get my 'big huge trunk of US dollars' but I guess fu u r reported wasn't the answer he expected :laugh: :laugh:

And to think that I never knew I had folks in Nigeria.

He also got me a killer deal on pills to make my schwantz bigger and guaranteed me that I can make $30,000 in a month using his proven methods.

Chuck
LOL.
Um, yours died? Shame, mine just had inoperatable cancers (many I think), hm, never did get my 'big huge trunk of US dollars' but I guess fu u r reported wasn't the answer he expected :laugh: :laugh:

So, is this the new tactic for dumping the Sthil knock-offs? Should be interesting imo.

;)

Latest posts

Back