Introduce myself and my toys (w/pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striderzz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy,

After lurking around here forever I thought it was time to say hi and start contributing to the site some more. And it is always a lot more fun to look at pictures than read my ramblings so here we go.

These are the kids. The Husky 445 has been with me fore several years now. And the Stihl 460 is brand new in this pic, just arrived home and hadn't touched wood yet. I used AS to do a lot of research before I got the 460 and I am VERY happy I did. I almost went with a cheaper, small, non-pro saw until I started reading this site. You'all convinced me to go big and bring it home!
xuGuHxn.jpg

So of course, after I had the new 460 I had to spiff it up a little. So I bought the larger dogs, larger clutch cover, roller catcher and installed them a few days ago. Also got a tach (as recommended here) so I can monitor my tuning. Here she is before the install.
uS4IJCe.jpg

And here she is after.
jMHvtkW.jpg

Also got the case and kit fitted out. Here is the case for her. Everything I need for a day of cutting fits in the case. I also drilled small holes and used velcro and pop rivets to secure all the parts in place. So file guide, screwdriver, scrench, wedges, stump vise, and the handle of the saw all stay in place with the velcro holding them.
2fd1HC6.jpg

Here it is all packed up. My local forest requires you have a fire extinguisher at all times when cutting so I found these small can extinguishers on the internet for pretty cheap. Keep one with each saw and a back-up in the truck. The first-aid kit has large gauze pads, tape, rolled gauze and (2) Quik-Clot sponges just in case.
BRkXGCt.jpg

Velcro straps also hold my rolled up chaps on the back of the case. So when it's time to go cut, all I grab is the saw case, a jug of bar oil and a fuel can. The case is pretty heavy but not un-manageable. And I would rather carry one heavy case in one trip then run back and forth to the truck for files, PPE, extinguisher, First-aid, etc...
sRPVB7N.jpg

Some forest shots. Sugar Pine.
7vj4dY9.jpg

Black Oak.
KnHs9jm.jpg

The next plan for the 460 is a muffler mod. The problem is my friends say the Forest Service around here is pretty strict and will check your equipment so I can't do a MM myself. I need to find a dual port Muffler cover for my 460 so it stays pretty stock. And I can't find one to save my life since I live in California. If anyone knows where I can pick up a stock Stihl DP Muffler cover, please let me know. Since I am still under warranty I want to stay stock Stihl until the warranty runs out. After the MM and re-tune I think I am done with mods until the warranty runs out and then maybe a woods port is in order!

That's all I have for now. I think my girlfriend is terrified that full blown CAD is in progress. Me? I am pretty excited.

stay safe
-n

welcome to AS!

nice job adding pics for all of us to see!

I know you did your research but you might want to consider adding a little metal to the muffler baffel on the clutch side so that it won't torch out your saftey handle every time it is running. Heat cycling that plastic will end with a brittle cracked saftey handle. Just a little tip to keep the saw looking nice!

heres a quick reference pic: look at the exhaust baffel on the left side that has some sheet metal added to extend the baffel forward...
046mufflermod_zps16b1ac7e.jpg

Cheers
Nate

Last edited:
Welcome and that's a good start to a 35 saw plan :jester: they probably serve your needs pretty well.

Welcome.....Nice saws. If you open up the muffler, you will have to remove the limiter caps and retune the carb (there goes your warranty). If you are worried about warranty, don't make any mods. If you are not worried about warranty, watsonr (the weedeaterman logo at the top of the page) has after market dual port muffler covers for your 460 muffler. There is no need to replace the entire muffler (just the cover). Saw on :chainsaw:

Great first post; pictures, concise and readable. Pretty soon you will be crowing about bringing home 5 saws at once.

Last edited:
Welcome.....Nice saws. If you open up the muffler, you will have to remove the limiter caps and retune the carb (there goes your warranty). If you are worried about warranty, don't make any mods. If you are not worried about warranty, watsonr (the weedeaterman logo at the top of the page) has after market dual port muffler covers for your 460 muffler. There is no need to replace the entire muffler (just the cover). Saw on :chainsaw:

to be clear i was suggesting just bringing the baffel forward to protect the saw handle... I didn't suggest opening it in case he does like his warrenty...

welcome to the sight,,,, that 460 is a POS so just send it to me for proper disposal :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

welcome to AS!
I know you did your research but you might want to consider adding a little metal to the muffler baffel on the clutch side so that it won't torch out your saftey handle every time it is running. Heat cycling that plastic will end with a brittle cracked saftey handle. Just a little tip to keep the saw looking nice!
Cheers
Nate

Nate, thanks for the suggestions. It's petty funny, I have researched and search the 460 all over AS and read dozens of threads about mods and tuning and improvements, etc... but have never read about the exhaust port/handle problem. Thanks for the heads up!. If I can't find a DP cover pretty soon then I will definitely need to think about that.

Thanks for cluing me in! I knew that if I put the DP muffler on I would have to do the limiter cap thing but it didn't click in my head that would void the warranty also. Interestingly enough, my Stihl dealer said he would do the limiter cap adjustment and carb tuning for me if I wanted, he just was not legally allowed to order the DP Muffler cover. What I did not ask him is if him doing the adjustment for me would void the warranty. I need to ask him.

And thanks to everyone for the welcome. When I get off work tonight or tomorrow I will try to find some more pictures to add to the thread for fun.

And if anyone has any suggestions or comments on how to make a 460 even better (other than painting it Yellow or getting it make in Sweden!) let me know! I searched/read a ton of threads here about the 460 and things to watch-out for but there is always more to learn. I am even thinking about tinkering with my little 445 and seeing if I can make a beast out of her. I don't want her to feel neglected!

-n

Welcome to the Madness...

Soon you will find a saw that you just cannot live without..
and you will start scrounging parts, eyeing CL, E-bay and newspapers.
Coming here often, very often..
Eventually you will get all your pieces and parts, put your saw together, run it.
and start all over again.

There are some of the best people that I have ever talked to here on AS.
Ask away, any question you may have.
You will get a answer.. sometimes they are very SA though:)

Tell your GF, that you will not get CAD, but you just found a saw that some guy said that it ran the last time he ran it (15 years ago)
and you"NEED" it! Not to cut with, as your Husky will do that fine, but just to have.. in case the ZOMBIES attack :)

Welcome to AS. Tell your girlfriend nothing, she has nothing to fear. CAD is all in the name of science.

Welcome aboard! Nice kit you put together with your saw box!! If you feed your cad with freebies, it doesn't cost as much. There are a lot of old saws out there that deserve saving from the scrap heap!

Cool box and saw customization man!

If the saw needs richer, DO IT! What you want is to *never have to use a warranty* in the first place. You want the saw to run cool and correctly.

Welcome Aboard :cheers: You will love that 460...I run a 25"Es with full skip chisel on mine...Fast with a lot of torque...It's going for some port work when my 440 is done...See it never ends..First bigger dawgs than dual port muffler than porting than ETC..ETC.. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back