Introduce myself and my toys (w/pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your girlfriend is worried about you having CAD,you have a bigger problem than CAD.

I was joking when I said my girlfriend was terrified. We each have our hobbies and support each other. We always have a good laugh when we remember that her newest hobby is paddle boarding and her gear cost $1100. My saw cost $1000. Her's is a giant hunk of foam and plastic. Mine is a complex mechanical machine.

Just have to ask again...anyone have a lead on a stock Stihl DP muffler? Are they even sold anymore?

Thanks
-n

Nate, thanks for the suggestions. It's petty funny, I have researched and search the 460 all over AS and read dozens of threads about mods and tuning and improvements, etc... but have never read about the exhaust port/handle problem. Thanks for the heads up!. If I can't find a DP cover pretty soon then I will definitely need to think about that.

I think I need to clear you up on this... A dual port cover won't fix the problem. Here look at this AM muffler from Baileys...

http://www.baileysonline.com/prod_images/QA_11281_400616_XL.jpg

See how the whole side of the muffler baffel is cut away like a stock muffler? if your side exhaust looks like this it will end up torching the inside of your saftey/brake handle. The heat cycles will make the plastic look bad at least and at most will make it brittle and prone to braking. At least from my experiance anyhow... The 066/660's have the same problem so when ever I run into a muffler like this (on a USED saw), I enlarge the exhaust opening and add extra baffle material to make the exhaust flow more forward (past the handle). What is the solution if you are worried about warranty and fixing the problem...???

New Dual Port Muffler for Stihl 044 MS440 046 MS460 Chainsaw | eBay

Get a $20 muffler off ebay and do the muffler baffle fix, and heck it even includes a dual port muffler cover! If you ever have a maintence/warranty issue, put the OEM muffler back on before you take it back to the dealer. That might be considered a little dishonest by some but the truth is this problem should have been fixed from the factory with and extra 1/10th of a cent in steel. I have a theory that they designed the muffler that way so that the emissions would disperse quicker (helpful for Stihl to pass EPA emissions testing), but I can't prove it... Either way if you go back to the muffler pic I posted you'll see how the edge of the baffle has been carried forward by welding in a small piece of sheet tin/steel thus deleting the Stihl baffle cut-out.

Enjoy the saws and Cheers!

Nate

Latest posts

Back