Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost everyone is looking for efficiency. Kuuma's appear to be one of the most efficient however two problems for me were A. The price and B. their smaller furnace (which is all that I would need) will only take 16" wood. Having a 3 yr supply of 18" to 20" wood narrows furnace choice down. Everyone is going to plug in their criteria and look for a device that closely meets their needs. This is why "numbers" are inconsequential to the extent of finite comparisons. I burn 5 cords per year to heat my home from Oct - Apr for 1800 sq ft (not including the cellar) and this was previously done with an epa stove in the cellar. I want to burn that or less. I have a budget otherwise I'd get the largest Kuuma as I think that is one of the most efficient devices out there. Since I cannot, I want an efficient device at a price point I can afford and that seems to be the Tundra. Anything else is simply drivel to me.

True that...

At the end of the day specs are specs and while we reps like to get hung up on numbers and splitting hairs, the customer will choose based on their budget and their requirement.

Now if someone would be so kind and explain something to me since I do not have hot air I'd appreciate it. I have to retro fit ducting in my cellar for the new furnace. It will be simple with two outlets on either side of the house. Does "cold air" return mean air that has been already heated and rotates back to the furnace from within the home or is cold air considered what the furnace sucks in from the cellar? In other words do I have to provide a cold air register incorporated within the heated living space that is ducted to the furnace giving me a total of 3 registers. 2 outputs and one return?

Last edited:
Now if someone would be so kind and explain something to me since I do not have hot air. I have to retro fit ducting in my cellar for the new furnace. It will be simple with two outlets on either side of the house. Does "cold air" return mean air that has been already heated and rotates back to the furnace from within the home or is cold air considered what the furnace sucks in from the cellar? In other words do I have to provide a cold air register incorporated within the heated living space that is ducted to the furnace giving me a total of 3 registers. 2 outputs and one return?

If you currently have a furnace with a cold air return then you could just connect the ductwork with the optional cold-air return kit. have you had a chance to download the manual? http://www.drolet.ca/upload/documents/manuels/45656A_27-06-2013.pdf

If you do not, dont worry. Many wood furnace users do not use a cold air return in their house and do without. It is always preferable to have a return system. There's many reasons for that.

The following link explains the idea behind it.

HowStuffWorks "Heating and Cooling System Basics: Tips and Guidelines"

Last edited:
Correction on my previous comments...

Okay, with all that was written, I felt the need to clarify what was said before by having a direct conversation with the test lab people at the manufacturer. They work on various industry committees, including the one involving the new NSPS. So here it is:

1) The PSG Caddy is certified to EPA Wood stove standard ie below 7.5 gr/hr. This is listed on the EPA web site page 12. http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...tifiedwood.pdf

2) Since the Tundra and Heatmax use the same firebox (with a different aesthetic), the manufacturer filed for EPA certification on those two models and submitted the paperwork. They are awaiting certification (i.e. addition of those two models on their existing Caddy certificate). In the meantime, they have agreed to remove claims regarding EPA certification. Such claims can only be made when the actual EPA updated certificate has been re-issued. The manufacturer expects the new certificate to be re-issued soon.

3) EPA certification applies to wood heaters. However, it does not restrict the type of wood heater to which the standard is applied. EPA Method 28 is an 'emissions' standard that was created initially for freestanding wood stoves. Nevertheless, nothing prevents a manufacturer to test a wood furnace to the wood heater standard and obtain EPA certification. The same goes for fireplaces. There are many EPA-certified wood fireplaces on the market (BIS, RSF, etc.). In other words, one needs to see EPA-certified fireplaces as wood heaters “designed” as a fireplace.

4) EPA’s decision to remove exemption on furnaces in the upcoming NSPS was in part influenced by the fact that some manufacturers were already able to make clean-burning, EPA-certified wood furnaces. Some EPA representatives have visited the PSG booth during the HPBA Show at more than one occasion to take a closer look at the technology and they have praised the initiative by some manufacturers to clean their combustion even though they were not obligated to do so.

So if I can sum up:

1) There are currently no EPA emissions standard specific to central systems. However, manufacturers can chose to have their central systems (furnaces, boilers) certified to the "wood heater standard" which requires emissions below 7.5 gr/hr. Same logic applies to wood fireplaces.

2) In the new NSPS, EPA is likely to introduce an emissions standard similar to CSA B415.1-10 which will be around 0.40 gr/MJ of heat output. This is subject to review, but it is consistent with the comments Gil Wood made at a presentation to the industry at the 2013 HPBA Show in Orlando.

Almost everyone is looking for efficiency. Kuuma's appear to be one of the most efficient however two problems for me were A. The price and B. their smaller furnace (which is all that I would need) will only take 16" wood. Having a 3 yr supply of 18" to 20" wood narrows furnace choice down. Everyone is going to plug in their criteria and look for a device that closely meets their needs. This is why "numbers" are inconsequential to the extent of finite comparisons. I burn 5 cords per year to heat my home from Oct - Apr for 1800 sq ft (not including the cellar) and this was previously done with an epa stove in the cellar. I want to burn that or less. I have a budget otherwise I'd get the largest Kuuma as I think that is one of the most efficient devices out there. Since I cannot, I want an efficient device at a price point I can afford and that seems to be the Tundra. Anything else is simply drivel to me.

This is very spot on for me as well. I cut wood with my dad and he likes the longer pieces. Having a short firebox just isn't practical for me.

In addition I would like to add that I love the fact that Kuuma's built in America. I think its the best quality hot air furnace made. I wish they would offer a glass door but respect their desire to maintain maximum efficiency. I'll be placing the furnace in an area more appropriate for a nice looking wood stove so the glass door is a big bonus.

Now if you guys would start making V shaped ash pans like the bigger Yukons I think you could get a competitive advantage. Nobody gets that design until you use it and it's far superior IMO. Shouldn't add to the cost as it is one less weld/bend.

Last edited:
This is very spot on for me as well. I cut wood with my dad and he likes the longer pieces. Having a short firebox just isn't practical for me.

In addition I would like to add that I love the fact that Kuuma's are made of 100% stainless steel and are built in America. I think its the best quality hot air furnace made. I wish they would offer a glass door but respect their desire to maintain maximum efficiency. I'll be placing the furnace in an area more appropriate for a nice looking wood stove so the glass door is a big bonus.

Now if you guys would start making V shaped ash pans like the bigger Yukons I think you could get a competitive advantage. Nobody gets that design until you use it and it's far superior IMO. Shouldn't add to the cost as it is one less weld/bend.

I don't think so...

American made steel from Louis Industries in Paynesville, MN. We only use stainless steel on our Kuuma electric sauna stoves. :)

"All the internal parts are stainless steel and replaceable (ceiling, back, brick holders & straps, front). It's a life time furnace design."

Is that not accurate?

Yes and no. See above...

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Kuuma "Smokeless" Vapor-Fire High Efficiency Wood Gasification Furnaces & Fantasic Sauna Stoves by Lamppa Manufacturing Inc.

Do an on page search (Ctrl F) for "stainless". It clearly states that all internals are stainless on the 100 and 200.

Is this not accurate?

Sorry, I was doing from my phone earlier and didn't read thoroughly and see how it could be misinterpreted. It is accurate on all the internal parts. I was talking about the exterior body.

Also please try to post any other Kuuma questions in a Kuuma thread. I'm sure Fryebug doesn't appreciate it as I wouldn't as well. I only wanted to make everyone aware of the updated EPA certification regarding the Drolet.

Last edited:
Huh, how 'bout that, guess I got schooled! :laugh: Well, I guess if it is just the internals, that is a lot less than than 100%, as the post that started all this stated, which I see has been edited now. Still impressive though. Explains some of the cost...

Alright, 'sposin we need to be gettin back on topic here...so when is Menerds gonna get 'em summa dem new Tundras?! :D

Sorry, I was doing from my phone earlier and didn't read thoroughly and see how it could be misinterpreted. It is accurate on all the internal parts. I was talking about the exterior body.

Also please try to post any other Kuuma questions in a Kuuma thread. I'm sure Fryebug doesn't appreciate it as I wouldn't as well. I only wanted to make everyone aware of the updated EPA certification regarding the Drolet.

well the drolet is better...

well the drolet is better...

Thanks for the compliment but.... I'm sure many of you are getting tired of the furnace sniping back and forth.

Let me state for the record Kuuma seem to make an excellent product. Their test shows it burns clean and its efficient. Since I've never seen one myself, I'm am relying on a few users on this forum who rave about theirs. It's also made in the USA by a small company that provides outstanding service. This matters to many folks.

There are some very large MFG's who are still trying to figure out how to make a wood furnace to burn clean. Kudos have to go for a small company that is able to accomplish this much.

Both Garrett and I are passionate about our products and you will not go wrong with either products. They both have their value proposition and its up to you - the consumer - to decide what is important to you.

Thanks for the compliment but.... I'm sure many of you are getting tired of the furnace sniping back and forth.

Let me state for the record Kuuma seem to make an excellent product. Their test shows it burns clean and its efficient. Since I've never seen one myself, I'm am relying on a few users on this forum who rave about theirs. It's also made in the USA by a small company that provides outstanding service. This matters to many folks.

There are some very large MFG's who are still trying to figure out how to make a wood furnace to burn clean. Kudos have to go for a small company that is able to accomplish this much.

Both Garrett and I are passionate about our products and you will not go wrong with either products. They both have their value proposition and its up to you - the consumer - to decide what is important to you.

Quality is quality, Good for you to be real with it. I like your honesty. Stand up guy to me.

Is there any information as to which stores
Actually have the drolet tundra /heatmax in stock to sell???
If I understand correctly the tax credit is good till dec .31 /2013
If the epa certification doesn't "go through" by then does that mean
The tundra purchaser can't get their credit for this year ??it is my understanding
The credit is 10% of purchase price up to 300$ that means the most credit
Incentive I could see on the purchase is 180$ not 300$????i would love to get
One of these my only gripe is I wish drolet would have ironed out
The epa thing before introducing the furnace to the public
Now people are up in the air as to their tax credit status,also
Some of us " need to know" that the unit in fact has passed certification before we buy it

Last edited:
Is there any information as to which stores Actually have the drolet tundra /heatmax in stock to sell???

If I understand correctly the tax credit is good till dec .31 /2013

The Heatmax or Tundra are currently available at the following etailers. Menards, Family Farm, Northern Tools and if you live in PA at Heating World near Altoona. Online at Northern Tools and soon Lowes. Other etailers are coming on board with it as well.

Because it's a relatively new product and we only started shipping a couple of weeks ago distribution is limited this year but likely to change next year.

The tax credit for furnaces is not tied to EPA but efficiencies. Any wood burning furnaces above 75% efficiencies qualifies. So we're good to go as is.

Hope this helped.

The Heatmax or Tundra are currently available at the following etailers. Menards, Family Farm, Northern Tools and if you live in PA at Heating World near Altoona. Online at Northern Tools and soon Lowes. Other etailers are coming on board with it as well.

Because it's a relatively new product and we only started shipping a couple of weeks ago distribution is limited this year but likely to change next year.

The tax credit for furnaces is not tied to EPA but efficiencies. Any wood burning furnaces above 75% efficiencies qualifies. So we're good to go as is.

Hope this helped.

A local stove shop near me (Preston Trading Post) has just signed an agreement with SBI to get Drolet appliances. They said they will try to get me a Tundra. What are my chances of getting one at the end of the month?

Back