Iowa GTG ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent so much time talking to everyone, I barely ran my saws. My 2163 and 372 both had a tank of fuel run through them and I barely got to touch em LOL. I did get a chance to bury the bar on my 088 before it found a new home though.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK2fn9lzZfY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK2fn9lzZfY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Many fast saws to run this weekend and I thank everyone for giving me the opportunity to run em.

A big thanks to Mitch for putting this together. At the end of the day after we all had fun cutting and making a mess, we left Mitch with all of the clean up. It was a great day, probably had 25 or so different folks drift through. Some stayed all day, some didn't, but everyone agreed it was a great time and looking forward to doing it again next year.

I see some of the guys got home in a hurry. I may have lived the closest, but it's taken me a little while to get these ready. A few will be very similar but here we go...

Jeff's entire 600 Series McCulloch collection
attachment.php

A few of mine in the trailer
attachment.php

Grizzly Adams saws for today
attachment.php

BillG and son Nathan getting suited up. While it was sunny today, the breeze had quite a chill in the morning.
attachment.php

Mweba's (Mitch) had a few saws here today as well, guess he should have since it was his place (actually they are renting the two houses on the property so Mitch lives a couple of towns away). Wendell (Steve) showing no respect for the camera in the background.
attachment.php

Mark

My many thanks to all that put this GTG together. I had a wonderful time. A little windshield time is good every once in a while.
The food was terrific and the BS was plentiful.

Now Wendell shows his face. Somehow it seems he get to work on that Homelite at every GTG.
attachment.php

Every McMan's dream, Super 250's in a head to head race. Here Grizzly Adams...
attachment.php

And here am I on the other end...
attachment.php

A pair of McCulloch Super 250's. We tried to keep them far enough apart when running to avoid any sort of sonic disturbance that might result in all of the trees falling down in fright.
attachment.php

Homelite 410's (Mike) Dad running a good looking red and white Homelite.
attachment.php

More to come...

Mark

Younger son Josh (JoshH), I think that is is 2095 making a pile of chips
attachment.php

Josh and Shaun (srcarr52) going head to head, they will have to fill in the saws, I think Josh is still running his 2095.
attachment.php

Shaun, I may have teased you a bit about the Husky's but they were fine running saws and you showed that you know how to handle them. Thanks for joining us today.

JR (JRA1100) putting his Stihl in the ash
attachment.php

Homelite410 (Mike) with one of his favorite saws. I learned a new technical term today from redlinefever - that "muffler" is a "weed burner".
attachment.php

Here is one of the technical session that took place before lunch.
attachment.php

Mark

Back safe and sound. A great time as always and a huge thank you to Mitch and Mark for putting this on and for the guided tour of the Mac museum!

Mark, it's funny you mention the 2 250's as that was one of my highlights of the day. I'm not sure how many were around when you 2 were running them but there were several moments when they did hit a really cool harmonic together that was awesome to hear.

Thanks to all who attended who made it such a great day (obviously this excludes a few certain individuals from somewhere in Wisconsin :hmm3grin2orange: )

I sure wish I had the property to take my turn hosting one but if I had it here, I guarantee the old lady down the street would have a heart attack.

Part of JR's saws today, 6401 and 390? Not pictured here were his fine running 920 Jonsered, and an SP125 that needs just a little shop time to make it strong again.
attachment.php

Another technical session, this one centered on the Stihl BLK. BillG, Nathan, my big brother Ray (RHeima), and JR
attachment.php

Bill and the stealth Homelite 990. Notice the unique bar adaptation on that one.
attachment.php

Part of BillG's collection for the day, hiding in there are an 090G and a KMS
attachment.php

Mike (Homelite410) with another vintage beauty, the Zip
attachment.php

Mark

Ryan (redlinefever) had a few nice running saws here today as well. Fact is, I think he went home with different ones than he came with. Hiding on in the back of the truck is a hot rod 260 with a custom made pipe.
attachment.php

And here is a better view of the saw. You can't see some of the features like the removeable head and the piston work inside...
attachment.php

Josh and JR going at it, 65 cc's of Jonsered vs 64 cc's of Makita/Dolmar
attachment.php

Wendell and Mikes Dad with a "6401" and (I think) a 372
attachment.php

Mitch and Shaun with 65 and 72 cc's, well they were 65 and 72 at one point in time...
attachment.php

Mark

Tall Guy (Greg) brought a fine collection of vintage saws included the little Orlin hiding in there and a beautifully restored Sears/David Bradley. The blue and with Remington at the 3:00 position was one of the loudest saws of the day.
attachment.php

It is hard to get Tall Guy and his saws all in one photo
attachment.php

Why not be happy, JR gets to work on his SP125
attachment.php

Mitch and Steve (one of the local Stihl dealers) going at it. On every other occasion the 066 was the fastest saw but not today...
attachment.php

Bill and Nathan putting on a display with the Diston
attachment.php

Mark

Now this is real GTG material, a Super 250 and a 660 (the same engine but with a gear box added). Steve got the 660 going very well and did some damage to the big logs.
attachment.php

Mike gives Ray's baby Stihl a spin, I think that was Ray's.
attachment.php

Steve with a D-36, this was a fine running saw as well for being 60 years old.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Tall Guy inflict a little cottonwood damage of his own with a DB Three Sixty
attachment.php

Mark

Ryan practicing his Samari moves with his 7900. I ran that saw a little bit and decided if I ever have to get another saw for cutting firewood the 7900 will be first in line.
attachment.php

More technical discussions as the shadows begin to lengthen
attachment.php

Mike, Mitch, Shaun, and Jason (a guy we'll have to recruit to this site, a local with a nice collection of saws and may even be willing to sell a McCulloch)
attachment.php

Now this one was very technical with discussion of pistons, rods, bearings, and Tree Monkeys - Tim, Mark, Mike, Ray, Ryan, Wendell, Ryan's pal, and Tall Guy
attachment.php

And now the whole gang: L-R Jeff, Nathan, Bill, Ryan, Ray, Josh, Tall Guy, Tim, Ryan's pal, Steve, JR, Jason (in the back), Mike, Mike's Dad, Wendell, and Shaun.
attachment.php

If you've ever been to a GTG you know how you get busy having fun and forget to get pictures of everyone in the action. I want to give a special word of thanks to son Jeff for his help during the day, an in particular unloading everything when I got home while I was conducting Tim, Wendell, Ryan and his pal on a tour of my place. I will have to get some more action shots of Jeff running his 600 Series McCullochs, they make a great team and he seems to have very good experiences getting them to start and run for him.

Mark

Last edited:
well made it home unloaded the saws . special thanks to mitch and mark and whoever else that made this possible my friend tyler had a blast . like the old saws . Mark the garage is amazing wish i could have stayed longer but still had a ways to go one of these days ill have to have on i guess

Mark,
I did manage to get a vid of Jeff running one of his 600 series.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BcU3uoVFjsY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BcU3uoVFjsY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Also a short vid of the Merc running

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsebTOQlLPk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsebTOQlLPk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wendal and his 395. Redline, Tyler, Josh H, and Shaun in the background.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T4kexyH6M9k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T4kexyH6M9k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Those pictures are great! Looks like I missed a good one. I would have loved to meet some new people and see some that I have met before.

Time and distance didn't work out for me this time but this one was one I wanted to make bad.

Those pictures are great! Looks like I missed a good one. I would have loved to meet some new people and see some that I have met before.

Time and distance didn't work out for me this time but this one was one I wanted to make bad.

Put it on your schedule for next year. Might try to do it a little earlier though, that wind was sharp!

Thanks for that video Mitch, you know that Jeff and the 600 Series saws have a lot in common, not too flashy, maybe a bit heavy, but pretty reliable where it's needed.

Modified Mark - I am sure we could find a place for you to spend a night, you might have to sleep in my shop with the McCulloch's however...

Mark

Mark,

Jason (Mac guy you said we need to recruit) just sent me a text. Seems he has been a member since 08 LOL. He just forgot.

I see a few I know Beefie, Mweba, Heimannm, redlinefever, Wendell?, GrizzlyAdams looks like I missed a good one!!!

That's not Beefie, That's Bill G, These is something about those 090G's that makes you shave your head & grow a ZZ top beard i guess. I ain't asking about tattoos, I don't want to know.

Back