Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really like it if some one would put a Homelite 1050 clutch cover on the swap trailer!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I think I'll put a complete C7 on the trailer... maybe a C5 as well if I go pick it up. I think it's time to clean up my haven't had time to mess with them pile. I'm really hoping to leave with less then what I came with like I did last year but it was hard trying to find someone who would take a clean, running XL12 for free.

I think I'll put a complete C7 on the trailer... maybe a C5 as well if I go pick it up. I think it's time to clean up my haven't had time to mess with them pile. I'm really hoping to leave with less then what I came with like I did last year but it was hard trying to find someone who would take a clean, running XL12 for free.

I must have missed that as I might have taken it:msp_sad:

Didn't know that either. It doesn't look like your Stealth Swapping worked very well.

Iowa GTG II

When we are speeding along hwy 30 will we be turning North or South to get to the GTG?

Ray

Is that a pending you being able to cross the state line:cry:

I would love to make it.:msp_biggrin: There are some great guys and gals in the great state of Iowa. I have my issues with Iowa just like Mark does with what he calls the Communist Republic of Illinois. They other main issue is April 28 is prime planting

SERIOUSLY why that date:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

All jokes aside I wish I could be there especially if we were shooting. Oh wait there comes in the damm Iowa Law

Bill

They other main issue is April 28 is prime planting

Bill

Probably because the Iowegians plan to have their state planted by then. :D

My renter planted my place and one other on Saturday, been rained out ever since. 8320 JD and 16 row planter still parked out back. It's a nice rig, but my little fields are much better suited to 6 row equipment.

Probably because the Iowegians plan to have their state planted by then. :D

My renter planted my place and one other on Saturday, been rained out ever since. 8320 JD and 16 row planter still parked out back. It's a nice rig, but my little fields are much better suited to 6 row equipment.

Well that is fine but since we have had no moisture here there is nothing to germinate the seed. If we did it is April 17th and it still could turn cold and take care of any newly germinated seed. It is best to wait a bit in my mind.

Where are you at in Northwest Wisconsin that guys are planting on April 14th?????? I know this spring has gave a false sense of security to early planting but clear up north and corn in the ground on April 14th WOW that is skirting the fringe. What is the Federal date for you folks?

Bill

Believe it's the 12th. I'm on the Polk/St Croix county line, just east of St. Paul/Mpls and about 20 miles north of I94.

I'm on high ground, so a little less likely to freeze hard than in the hollows. I've always planted as soon as the ground was warmed up and dried out, and with my sand hills, all the head start it can get in the spring is needed when the rains turn off in the fall. Over the years, I remember replanting due to frost once, and that freeze came in mid May.

It's a risk, but one they're willing to take. I cash rent, if I was on shares, I might worry more.

BTW, it was popcorn fart dry up here till last weekend, then .75" Sat night, 1.5" Sunday into Monday, and coming down again now.

Last edited:
I would love to make it.:msp_biggrin: There are some great guys and gals in the great state of Iowa. I have my issues with Iowa just like Mark does with what he calls the Communist Republic of Illinois. They other main issue is April 28 is prime planting

All jokes aside I wish I could be there especially if we were shooting. Oh wait there comes in the damm Iowa Law

Bill

Bill, maybe I should clairfy something, being from NW IN that Illinois thing is a common joking going on around here.

Maybe that dont translate here to most. I have nothing against the good folks of Illionis in general, but it will be a cold day before I live in NE Illionis.

Well that is fine but since we have had no moisture here there is nothing to germinate the seed. If we did it is April 17th and it still could turn cold and take care of any newly germinated seed. It is best to wait a bit in my mind.

Where are you at in Northwest Wisconsin that guys are planting on April 14th?????? I know this spring has gave a false sense of security to early planting but clear up north and corn in the ground on April 14th WOW that is skirting the fringe. What is the Federal date for you folks?

Bill

We have been hoarding the storms here and not allowing them to pass on to IL. I would have thought by now you would have figuered that out:msp_biggrin: We are currently only allowing whispy clouds to pass over you and tease you with thoughts of moisture:msp_razz:

Bill, maybe I should clairfy something, being from NW IN that Illinois thing is a common joking going on around here.

Maybe that dont translate here to most. I have nothing against the good folks of Illionis in general, but it will be a cold day before I live in NE Illionis.

The joking comes with every state border, it is a natural thing.:msp_smile: Heck I would not want to live in the Chicago area either. I am on top of the Mississippi bluff looking at Iowa. We have the same type of joking between Iowa and Illinois. Up until about 6 years ago our mailing address was Iowa but we lived in Illinois. Try explaining that to someone.

I have not ran into any problems with the gun laws between the states. I do not know what Indiana gun laws are like. I can buy guns in Illinois or Iowa without a problem. We have to abide by the one day waiting period. That applies to gun auctions also unless you have a FFL. I can order guns over the internet without a problem and pick them up at the local hardware store. We can go to gun shows and buy whatever we want. We are supposed to abide by the waiting period there also but many do not.

The problem we run into here is with livestock. The two states have problems with transferring livestock across the borders. I know years ago we could not bring hogs in from Iowa at all. I believe that has changed now. We buy our chickens from Iowa without problems but a few years ago I bought some ducks and the vet said I could not take them to Illinois. We discussed it a bit and I politely said thank you and took the ducks with me.

If we haul grain or livestock from Illinois to Iowa we have to have USDOT numbers and keep a log book.. This applies to pickups and all types of trailers. The truck has to have your name town and USDOT number on it. It is true that many do it haul without it but I will assure you that the Iowa DOT will chase you down. The Illinois DOT sits at the foot of the bridge and stops trucks headed to Iowa. It is complete harassment but we have to put up with it.

If I took a trailer load of saws to the Iowa GTG it would not be unheard of for the Iowa DOT to stop me and that would be on the 2 lane headed to the interstate. They pulled me over one time just to give me sh;t about my load. The officer said my lights were only working part of the time. What a crock of sh;t. The lights did not work at all.

Reminded DW that next weekend it is chainsaw time so she could not say I never told her until the last minute:msp_mad:

Said I would like to leave on Friday to tent overnight if it works out schedule wise. Her response uh do you even know these people. Well yeah some I do. I did not bring up the sweat pants thing though. Seeing as that was corrected at the last event:laugh:

Or that Tallguy completely beat me out of a saw and might car pool together although I don't think there is enough room for all the saws in one vehicle.

Latest posts

Back