Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.5 hours, might be tough to swing that one by the wife.
If our wives got along you could guys could come down Friday night... hmmm... Friday night smells like a bottle of bourbon and big beef roast, and chain sharpening...?? Sat. your misses can stay with my misses for the day, and we could load up and head to Carthage! Split gas and give the savings to the ladies to keep them occupied while were gone. :hmm3grin2orange: :msp_thumbsup:

PS: we have a guest room with private bathroom...

Last edited:
For those of you interested in the chain races, I got a message from Gregg @ Baileys today that he will be sending 9 loops 72dl for the chain race. So now we can compare Stihl, Woodland Pro (carlton), and Oregon in square grind, round ground, and semi chisel out of the box side by side on the same saw. The winners in each category will get a new loop as a prize for winning!! Hopefully one winner WON"T take them all home!:hmm3grin2orange:

I could ship you some nice corner posts,but the freight would be a killer.:smile2:

i would love to have some of those posts jim! bring a load up when ya come,just kiddin. ive not dealt with hedge before. was hoping to get some of those logs that mike and shaun cut,pulled up before the snow.......didnt happen. :msp_mad: have run the 560 hybrid a couple more times,smooth awesome power,love it:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

For those of you interested in the chain races, I got a message from Gregg @ Baileys today that he will be sending 9 loops 72dl for the chain race. So now we can compare Stihl, Woodland Pro (carlton), and Oregon in square grind, round ground, and semi chisel out of the box side by side on the same saw. The winners in each category will get a new loop as a prize for winning!! Hopefully one winner WON"T take them all home!:hmm3grin2orange:

You should also have the same operator run the saw for each chain or your results will be meaningless as the operator can make a world of difference.

That means I'll need to go buy one. My 20inch chains are 78dl .050 .325

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I suck plus don't see any way I can make it.

But, when you said you were giving away chains to the winner, it sounded like you would be having different people using the chain. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey Wendell,
Sorry for the confusion... The chain race is where everyone that wants to be in the race sharpen in any way they can a 72dl chain in any gauge any flavor and we race them on 2 saws (one for round one for squarechisel) with one operator and we record the times. Baileys donated the "control" chains so we could compare brands and cutters and then give the winners of the fastest chain a prize. Its like a chain sharpen off with a new chain as the prize. We will have 2 saws that just have muffler mods and tuned identical and only those 2 operators will run them. Un biased operator = fair race.

Would anyone like to add anything I missed?

What do you run on that 2171?

I runs on the bench. It currently doesn't run anything but temper. I replaced the top end and it won't run. Crank seals are fine. I'll just save cash and send it off. Not because I'm not capable of fixing it, I'm just so annoyed with it I can't concentrate on it.

I runs on the bench. It currently doesn't run anything but temper. I replaced the top end and it won't run. Crank seals are fine. I'll just save cash and send it off. Not because I'm not capable of fixing it, I'm just so annoyed with it I can't concentrate on it.

Bring it to the gtg, I bet someone would be more than happy to help you out!

I just found this thread looking for someone to rebuild a couple 200t's. When and where is the next Iowa GTG, im from over by Sioux City.

:bowdown: this true. The big bore kit I bought for it I believe is the problem. I've tried different carbs coils vac and compression tested. I'm to the point where I may port it with a 308

I just found this thread looking for someone to rebuild a couple 200t's. When and where is the next Iowa GTG, im from over by Sioux City.

It's up by Chelsea IA. Southeast of marshalltown a bit. The address is in the last few pages if you flip back...

Back