Is 026 up for it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend has asked me to help clear out a few pine trees out of her lot. They have been killed by the pine beetle and she is concerned about them falling on the cabin or burning up in the next fire. She said there are about 70 of them but only some 5-10 are really close to the cabin that she is worried about; the rest can stand for a while longer. I recon they are about 12"-14" on average. Do you think my new to me 026 with a 16" bar will be enough to fell them and cut them up? I only fired it up today for the first time after receiving it from ebay, and it runs nicely, but I have only one bar and chain, so I figured I need at least one more chain before I pay her a visit. What do you all think?

If your chain is not down to its last sharpening and you have a file your good to go.I only have one chain for each bar and sharpen them when they start to feel dull.:givebeer: :chainsaw:

A friend has asked me to help clear out a few pine trees out of her lot. They have been killed by the pine beetle and she is concerned about them falling on the cabin or burning up in the next fire. She said there are about 70 of them but only some 5-10 are really close to the cabin that she is worried about; the rest can stand for a while longer. I recon they are about 12"-14" on average. Do you think my new to me 026 with a 16" bar will be enough to fell them and cut them up? I only fired it up today for the first time after receiving it from ebay, and it runs nicely, but I have only one bar and chain, so I figured I need at least one more chain before I pay her a visit. What do you all think?

are you on steep ground? a longer bar will be your friend if you limb going downhill.

take some pics if you can.

how far are you from grand lake?
i cut for a logging crew there back in the summer

Her property is near Winter Park. I think it is on level ground, so no tricky felling. I have no experience so it will not be fast but small trees should be good to learn on. I may use my small Partner to limb or let her boyfriend get some exercise with an axe ;)
The chain is a Stihl, don't know which type, and it is probably 95% good, maybe had one sharpening. I looked closely on the Stihl site but can't seem to find that exact chain; it looks like a RM but has small humpy links between cutters. I think I should get a RSC for felling and bucking the clean standing pine.

Her property is near Winter Park. I think it is on level ground, so no tricky felling. I have no experience so it will not be fast but small trees should be good to learn on. I may use my small Partner to limb or let her boyfriend get some exercise with an axe ;)
The chain is a Stihl, don't know which type, and it is probably 95% good, maybe had one sharpening. I looked closely on the Stihl site but can't seem to find that exact chain; it looks like a RM but has small humpy links between cutters. I think I should get a RSC for felling and bucking the clean standing pine.

I think your 026 will easily handle it. But I'm a little concerned. Did you say you have no experience and your taking out trees that are "close in" to the cabin? Or did I misunderstand you?

I think your 026 will easily handle it. But I'm a little concerned. Did you say you have no experience and your taking out trees that are "close in" to the cabin? Or did I misunderstand you?

+1- Although if they're 12-14" it's unlikely they'll have enough weight to do serious damage to the cabin in a worst case scenario. Yes, get the RSC chain. The RM chain is about only good for cutting roots or clearing along fencerows.

Take a rope with you and tie them off if you're concerned about driving any wood towards the cabin.

I do almost all my cutting with RM. I almost always cut in dirt, mud, salvage and crap conditions, but you can actually cut real live trees down with that stuff too. A lot of fallers I knew in central Oregon with Stihls used RMF chain. Popular stuff, that. :cheers:

I think your 026 will be up to it, we use the 025's mainly at work and they can deal with most things we ask of them. We also have a 026c although i have never used it but it is classed as more of a professional saw than the 025's so it should cope adequately with what you ask of it. Plus you have the Partner as a back up saw and could always use this to limb as you suggested and this will keep your chain on the 026 good for a bit longer. If you have a file then take it with you nd you can always sharpen it if it starts to dull.

As mentoned take lots of rope with you to pull them over if you're concerned about where they're going to land or just for your safety if nothing else. :)

Post up some pics, it will be good to see some befores and afters. Good luck buddy. :)

You might get a couple of short plastic wedges. They can be used for falling and bucking. Some personal protective equipment would be a good investment.

Your chain sounds like it is the discontinued (for good reasons) RM2 "safety" chain - get a couple RSC chains and fitting files, and you are ready to go.

Use the RM2 on any wood that is dirty, or better get a RMC as well as the RSC ones.

The saw sure will do it, if it is in order.

Last edited:
Boy, with the storms passing through here, the OP might consider postponing the job until next spring.:dizzy:

if you have no experience with falling hazard trees... i'd pass... find someone who knows what they're doing and watch and learn

get some wedges also

I appreciate everybody's replies!
First off, I don't think there are trees that would reach the cabin if dropped, and if there are I am not touching them, not until I know what I am doing. I have no experience and I am not planning to start off with the one of dropping a tree on a house :dizzy: She simply asked to cut down a few pines for them to use as firewood this winter, and the rest would be done later. I am itching to try the 026 so I may just drive out there to cut down two or three; there might be a lot of snow there now, so I may have to clean up the stumps in the spring. They have been burning leftover construction lumber for the last year and are running out, she said. So NO, I am not cutting down hazard trees!
I will definitely get PPE, chaps for a fact and maybe even a helmet. Not that much money compared to stitches and the cost of a hospital visit for my wife with a heart attack if I get a kickback or a limb falls on my head. My wife works in a safety office and she is determined to set me up right on this.
I will get wedges! I didn't even think about that. Ropes as well; secondary saw is on hand but I may get another bar as advised above, maybe an 18" sprocket nose since I have the 16" already?
I will get RS and RM chains, I will want to have those on hand in the future regardless of this particular undertaking. So I recon a visit to a dealer is in order, I am not seeing much mail order Stihl stuff anywhere. Perhaps I can look at the PPE at the same time. I have a round 7/32 and flat files, and they are coming with me for a field touch-up, but I guess I need other files from the dealer to work on RS chains? I will look that up on the web.
Is there a going preference against say Northern Tool helmets and chaps? Seem to be fairly inexpensive compared to Huskies I see at a nearby box store.

Last edited:
I appreciate everybody's replies!
First off, I don't think there are trees that would reach the cabin if dropped, and if there are I am not touching them, not until I know what I am doing. I have no experience and I am not planning to start off with the one of dropping a tree on a house :dizzy: She simply asked to cut down a few pines for them to use as firewood this winter, and the rest would be done later. I am itching to try the 026 so I may just drive out there to cut down two or three; there might be a lot of snow there now, so I may have to clean up the stumps in the spring. They have been burning leftover construction lumber for the last year and are running out, she said. So NO, I am not cutting down hazard trees!
I will definitely get PPE, chaps for a fact and maybe even a helmet. Not that much money compared to stitches and the cost of a hospital visit for my wife with a heart attack if I get a kickback or a limb falls on my head. My wife works in a safety office and she is determined to set me up right on this.
I will get wedges! I didn't even think about that. Ropes as well; secondary saw is on hand but I may get another bar as advised above, maybe an 18" sprocket nose since I have the 16" already?
I will get RS and RM chains, I will want to have those on hand in the future regardless of this particular undertaking. So I recon a visit to a dealer is in order, I am not seeing much mail order Stihl stuff anywhere. Perhaps I can look at the PPE at the same time. I have a round 7/32 and flat files, and they are coming with me for a field touch-up, but I guess I need other files from the dealer to work on RS chains? I will look that up on the web.
Is there a going preference against say Northern Tool helmets and chaps? Seem to be fairly inexpensive compared to Huskies I see at a nearby box store.

7/32" files will fit both RSC ans RM, provided they are 3/8" chains, as will 13/64" ones - if they are .325 3/16" files are the right ones.

Cool! Sounds like you've got it figured out. Good on ya for helping a neighbor, and here's wishing you many happy years with that 026!:clap:

Latest posts

Back