is a 024 worth $200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big4runr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a chance to buy a 024 with 16" bar for 200$ from my local shop. It's got a new bar, chain, sprocket, piston, redone carb. Pretty much everything checked over or new. Cosmetically it looks about average. Not rough but not perfect. Is it worth $200 out the door?
I was planning on getting a 026 but don't know now. Whats the difference in the 26 and 24 in terms of weight and power?
thanks

I don't know anything about an O24. We have several O21's in the five-six year old range. Residential pruning/removals. We did 1.9 million in sales last year. I'd say that is a little more than occassional use on a "homeowner" model saw. Would love to step up to the O26, but the dang 21's are just lasting to long to justify the extra $$.

Just talked to our local dealer, MS250 is as close as you can come to the O24 now. New the MS 250 goes between $256 and $280. 45.4cc 2.2kW(3.0bhp) 10.3lbs
MS O26 is $375 to $400. 48.7cc 2.6kW(3.5bhp) 10.6lbs
New MS 210 $225 to $239. 35.2cc 1.5kW(1.7bhp) 9.9lbs

My guess is it's probably worth it, if they have a good reputation and you trust their work. If it was too good a deal, I'd be running scared, waiting for that other shoe to drop on me.

Louie Hampton

It is a great saw and the little brother of the 026 as many parts
are interchangeable, but it is old so $200 is a little high. A new
piston indicates it had a meltdown in its recent past, so you
would need a little warranty that they fixed the problem that
caused the piston damage. A new bar, chain, and sprocket is
a definite plus. Offer $150 and see what they do.

The 024 is a great saw. Having said that, I would not pay $200 for it. Try Fish's idea...............you never know until you ask
Good luck!

Thanks for the help

More I think about it, that is probly pretty high price for an old saw. Thanks for yalls help.
-Freddy

Whip it out and show it to the seller when you make your cash offer. Does wonders.

Originally posted by Grateful11
>Whip it out............

I sure needed a laugh today! You guys crack me up! I sure hate being sick.
Grateful

Laughter is the best medicine. Just wait till you get our bill...

Back