Is a 346xp enough of a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am nubie and have a Stihl 026 that I use for cutting firewood. I have that "cutting through oak like butter" experience BUT my trees are typically 14-18" in diameter. I am hesitant to directly compare the 346 and the 026 because I am tired of listening to that fight, but if the 346 is comparable to or even slightly better than the 026, I still think it would be a pain in the ass to cut a lot of 24" wood and I would be looking at a bigger saw.

Maybe the 346xp could hack it, especially if it were modified, but I think it would be at the upper end of the saws intended use, rather than easy work for a bigger saw.

Steve

PS - That 029 felt like a boat anchor to me - but what do I know.

while i prefer stihl for the large saws 76cc plus, i like huskys small saws (50cc down) better than the stihls, in the 55-65cc class to me it doesn't matter i like'm both. and you're right about the 346's upper limits of about 24'' in that size would i prefer either a stihl 036 (GREAT SAW by the way) or a husky 357xp with a 20'' bar and round chisel chain
:angel:

Is a 346 enough saw ???
I have a 2149G that I have cut 6 cord of wood with in the last 3 days......

I run a 20'' bar with 72lg chain (and keep it sharp every tank of gas)

I cut up a 30'' pinoak today (from both sides) bar buried ...... if you let the saw do the work and keep the RPM's Up you would be very impressed....
This has to be one of the best light weight saw on the market (after Greffardizing)

The Poulan Pro 380 is currently available for $300 mail order equipped with a 20" bar. That's a 60cc, 13,500 rpm professional saw. Might be the perfect saw for you considering your $$ limitations.:)

concerning the poulan pro 380 i have the 335. and have owned several . they cut alright. but everyone ive had, had very poor anyti vibe. since im not familar w husky ,ive wondered if they are better.
the 335 has 2 rings so i think it was meant to be a pro saw..

I've used Poulan's! I'm not interested in going that way!

It looks like I'll go ahead with the 346xp. Sounds like a great LITTLE saw. I'll let you know how it rates once it tasts wood!

Paper, you're going to LOVE that saw and rest assured that you have bought a very good saw!!! let it idle through its first tank of gas to help it brake in better. it should be completely broken it after abou 10-15 tanks

I don't think, A 346xp or 260 is going to make enough of a difference over an 029, especiallay in bigger wood.

The 260 and 346xp are both lighter higher RPM pro saws and are much better overall than a 290 (for many reasons), but that still is not going to make enough difference if the wood is big.

But you still have an 029 right!, and as long as it still runs strong, spend the money on a larger saw 70-90CC. If one day the 029 gives up or you have the extra cash in hand get a 346xp or 260 to replace the 029.

I use a 260 for limbing, brushing, and cutting fire wood from the tree tops up to about 6" anything bigger I put the 066 to work.

If your 029 has RM chain on it get some RS, it will cut quicker in all but the most dirty or frozen wood, And if the muffler is stock open it up and the 029 will run stronger and cooler.

Timberwolf

346XP

I don't think I would choose a 346 as my primary firewood cutter. Especially for cutting up to 24" dia. The 346 is a great saw for backing up a bigger saw IMO. I just think that for the money a better choice could be made. Maybe the 55R you mentioned, a 357XP,359 or Stihl ms360. Just my 2 cents.

if i could only own one saw to do every thing (on the ground that is) it would be either a stihl 036 or a husky 357xp, i would consider a 372 but for fire wood you don't need anything more than an 036 or 357 IMHO:angel:

Bit of a rethink, a 70+cc saw is more than required for normal fire wood cutting, if it was to be down to a only a single saw a 036 would likely fit the bill.

I have not cut fire wood with an 036, but have used it as a rescue saw for fire fighting, fairly light for the size and enough power to cut quick and seem to take the abuse well.

If $$$ were no option I'd take a 460 just a little heavier but more powerfull

TW

the 036 holds up very well and takes lots of abuse!! if you just open up the muffler you will see a big differance in power but if you just really want to blow through the wood then get a ms460 with a 20'' bar:angel: or if you just love a huge saw then get an 066 and send it to Dennis, i just got mine today and does he ever build a mean saw!!! :D

I run two 036 pros for bucking saws in my tree bus. With the muffler modified (easy to do with a dremel, possible with a drill and file) these saws kick butt. I run 20" bars and Rapid Super chains. If you really pull on the dogs you can stall the chain. If you apply modest pressure they cut very fast and don't slow down. If I was cutting 5 cords of fire wood this is the saw I would prefer. The larger saws 70+ cc's will cut a bit faster but unless you are using a 24" or bigger bar they are a bit of overkill.

Don't let money be the deciding factor. If you need to save for a few months do it and get the saw you want/need. If you maintain a saw that cuts 5 cords a year it should last 10 to 15 years.

A $550 saw that last 10 years only cost $4.58 an month. If it last for 15 years it cost $3.05 a month. This doesn't include gas, oil, maintenance but hopefully the wife won't think of that when you tell her "It will only cost $3.00 a month". Don't forget "Think of all of the money we'll save heating with wood". And "I'm suprised the gas and electric company doesn't offer rebates for not owning a chainsaw". This is very important that you lay this ground work or you never get an 088KD, not to mention, a lob splitter, a bob cat or a skidder.

If all else fails.....you can always use the "Gypo and Xanders wives let them get 088's"!!!

Xander, thats right about longevity of the saw with proper mantinance. there are a lot of people down here stihl running 1970's models of the 031av and they love them, you see most of them set up with 16'' bars and they still pull strong. just remember its all in how well you treat your equipment, if you treat it like crap, then in a couple of years crap is what you will have IMHO

Robyn,

Sure glad you did'nt make John wear that big old 090 of his last weekend. We really would miss all his antics. :dizzy:

Robyn, I think I saw some old pics on John's picture library at the old server (photo....?). Everyone was using it at the time they went under (and everyone lost everything!). Anyway, would love to see some more - as I remember you were holding mostly huskies, they suited your hair very well..

PS. You looked god with the Stihl's too....:angel:

Wow, the 360 really does sound like a nice saw, and I would seriously consider it but my local Stihl dealer has a pretty bad reputation. They're new at the business as, and are still learning the ropes I guess. Most people just take their Stihl's to the Husky dealer!!!!!

I'm taking a second look at a bit of a bigger saw then the 346. Seems like it would just be too small in the long run, and I'd really wish for a power upgrade. I still haven't heard anyone say much about the 359! Maybe it's just too new?

Back