Is a stihl 038 a good saw and what's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came in 3 flavors: 038, 038S, and 038M. All were very well built but the 038S and 038M are more sought after as they have larger engines ( 67cc and 72cc).

200 is a good price if it's a clean running saw, especially a 038M.

Got a picture?

Came in 3 flavors: 038, 038S, and 038M. All were very well built but the 038S and 038M are more sought after as they have larger engines ( 67cc and 72cc).

Got a picture?
Yeah hold on

His pics aren't great. I should say it looks worn but not best to death. So I dunno

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180804-102818_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20180804-102818_OfferUp.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20180804-102834_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20180804-102834_OfferUp.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20180804-102813_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20180804-102813_OfferUp.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 87
Here and on the west coast seems stihl fetch more money I guess. I'm from Washington that's pretty much all they run.
Like if you're a framer you run a skil 77 worm drive. A sidewinder saw will get you laughed at.

Got a picture?
It's a mag. He sent me some more pictures and maybe I shouldn't have asked but we determined it was a magnum because of the faded lettering so he didn't know it was a magnum until now
How old are these laws and when did they stop making them

Attachments

• 01111.jpg
    01111.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 55
It's a mag. He sent me some more pictures and maybe I shouldn't have asked but we determined it was a magnum because of the faded lettering so he didn't know it was a magnum until now
How old are these laws and when did they stop making them

Just because it has the lettering doesn't mean it's a magnum. The top covers are interchangeable, as are the pistons and cylinders. Only way to know for sure is to measure the bore. Perhaps you can tell from the outside of the cylinder (fin count or something), but I don't know.

Personally, I'd probably pay $200 for a Magnum if I needed a 70cc saw for occasional firewood use. For something that's gonna get used frequently, I'd much rather have a newer saw. These saws were made in the 80s. They're heavy, AV isn't great, air filters suck, etc. Built like a tank, yes. They'll still do the job if you need a big saw, but you're not gonna see a big advantage in power versus your Dolkita.

Just because it has the lettering doesn't mean it's a magnum. The top covers are interchangeable, as are the pistons and cylinders. Only way to know for sure is to measure the bore. Perhaps you can tell from the outside of the cylinder (fin count or something), but I don't know.

Personally, I'd probably pay $200 for a Magnum if I needed a 70cc saw for occasional firewood use. For something that's gonna get used frequently, I'd much rather have a newer saw. These saws were made in the 80s. They're heavy, AV isn't great, air filters suck, etc. Built like a tank, yes. They'll still do the job if you need a big saw, but you're not gonna see a big advantage in power versus your Dolkita.
Dang I hadn't thought of that maybe that's why they rubbed It Off..hmm
Well the guy may sell for less. His car has a issue I may be able to quickly fix diagnose. So we will see. Same guy has a 090 saw .

Dang I hadn't thought of that maybe that's why they rubbed It Off..hmm
Well the guy may sell for less. His car has a issue I may be able to quickly fix diagnose. So we will see. Same guy has a 090 saw .

090?

If that's available at good price PM me. I'll pay finder fee and shipping.

Back to OP. Most likely a 038S or 038M, the plain 038 had metal tanks, but those can get switched out too just like the covers.

If you can pull ex off ( t27 torx), rotate engine until ex port is open, put a plastic straw in until it hit intake side of cyl, turn until the piston pinches straw at top of export, remove straw, measure to pinch point. That will give you bore dia crudely. You are looking for 48, 50, or 52mm.

090?

If that's available at good price PM me. I'll pay finder fee and shipping.

Back to OP. Most likely a 038S or 038M, the plain 038 had metal tanks, but those can get switched out too just like the covers.

If you can pull ex off ( t27 torx), rotate engine until ex port is open, put a plastic straw in until it hit intake side of cyl, turn until the piston pinches straw at top of export, remove straw, measure to pinch point. That will give you bore dia crudely. You are looking for 48, 50, or 52mm.
Genius...I'll ask him if he wants to sell it. I think it has a 32 bar

So assuming it's a magnum what year was the last year they made the saws

Stihl is stihl making them. But not for USA, re-badged and spruced up as MS380/381. The 038M was made right up until they changed to MS/XXX, but NLA in USA. I think USA discontinued when 044 came out (1993?).

Brad may not have a high opinion of them as he has too many newer saws, others denigrate them as they have only encountered used/abused 038s as > 30 year old saws.

If you get the 038M running properly they will run with a 044, but a bit heavier and not as good AF. But I think for the LONG RUN they were built better. I have enough old german stihl saws that I'll NEVER need a new one, with chi-com stuff.

Stihl is stihl making them. But not for USA, re-badged and spruced up as MS380/381. The 038M was made right up until they changed to MS/XXX, but NLA in USA. I think USA discontinued when 044 came out (1993?).

Brad may not have a high opinion of them as he has too many newer saws, others denigrate them as they have only encountered used/abused 038s as > 30 year old saws.

If you get the 038M running properly they will run with a 044, but a bit heavier and not as good AF. But I think for the LONG RUN they were built better. I have enough old german stihl saws that I'll NEVER need a new one, with chi-com stuff.
Probably so. I dont want a newer saw. I dont know alot about them but I see and read far less issues with the 80s 90s saws than these new MSxxx saws
I'm waiting on the guy to drive up from Phoenix. I live in northern Arizona where theres trees not cactus. He has family here. Normally I would have just drove down there with the log in the back of my truck and my tools and went and looked at it myself. If I like how it cuts I'll buy it for sure even if I cant get it less than 200
I've never seen any decent saw for 200 or less around here but I totally get why you guys say that it's better to buy them off of this site that anywhere else cuz you're going to get the best deal on a professional saw
I'm at the point now where I don't really need anything I just really like buying stuff and playing around with stuff so if it's saw isn't less than $200 it's probably going to be too much for me to consider buying I've just got too many things over here already I'm not running a tree trimming company or anything like that so all this stuff is pretty much overkill for my firewood hobby

Back