Is Anyone Interested In Seeing How I Port A 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said.......this is just the rough in. I use a fluted milling bit to rough it the cylinder walls. I just take about .080 off here. I've found that raising them too much is going backward in this saw.....at least the way I port them.

I have used the fluted end mills for years in my die grinder. Once you get used to them you have very little clean up work to do. How many time did you get the end mill flopping around in the ports until you got used to it? LOL

Later
Dan

I have used the fluted end mills for years in my die grinder. Once you get used to them you have very little clean up work to do. How many time did you get the end mill flopping around in the ports until you got used to it? LOL

Later
Dan

Still happens to me when I try to use the side facing away from the angle die grinder. Left and right sides are controllable, lol.

Sorta tough to see but there's a step in the floor of this outlet. Terry Landrum first showed me this in an XPW he had......that saw was a bad dude.

I've done it with and without this step.......but I think it makes enough difference to be worth the time.....

TLandrum is a good dood!!!! And Stuff,,, Gh!!! And BTW,,, that Gun totin Monkey Is A-OK His own self!!! Just sayin!!!

Last edited:
:rock: You are humble, admit that there is more to learn, and have such a level headed approach to your builds and the way that you present them on AS- I think that is a good part of the reason you are well respected here IMO. I don't ever remember you carrying a "better than thou attitude", or demeaning anyone looking to learn. I feel like I have learned quite a bit from you, just from reading and watching your work intently in these build threads. I think many of us have. I'm not butt kissin' here, but I think there are more than a couple reasons guys here are keeping you working around the clock, and your attitude is probably #1.

You can learn a lot from Randy's threads.

Some of it about saw building, more of it about life.

Do I mention that I've tried hogging the transfers out before?

Hogging out the transfers on the XPW jugs makes them lose a lot of torque. I have two jugs here from a "bike tuner" that ran like crap. They don't build any velocity at 5k RPM or above because the transfers are big enough to put your thumb in.

I never do much work on the lower-mid 71cc transfers. The uppers need some work but that's about it. I'm running a 71cc that's the best saw I've ever had at 8,000' elevation and it has a mild port work-over and a Wiseco thin-ring piston.

That's a Top Notch Kraut saw killer right there Clarkie :chainsawguy:
Really keen port work , impecable. It's obvious the 100's of hrs. you've spent grinding .

This is something I've been wondering so I'll jump on this hijack. Is porting and aftermarket jug generally not a good idea? I seem to remember reading that somewhere but don't remember where. Is it a waste of time? By the way, repped for a good thread and something worth reading lately.:rock:

Some AM jugs are great.....some are crap. It's fun weeding through em though. :laugh:

I'll add some more to this tomorrow. We'll talk about carbs, mufflers, and stuff.

Back