Is Anyone Interested In Seeing How I Port A 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ace Morgan, who was a legendary builder from this area, had been using the stepped exhaust since the mid 80's. He also used a "rafter port" which is a thin line cut into the bottom of the exhaust port to help with scavenging. His saws ran really well.

Ace's step cut exhaust was different than how this one is done. His step was cut in the front on the lower exhaust port and cut at a square 90 degree angle. Not smoothed in. IMO it was more for the exhaust coming back than going out.

BTW, MM, speed up that grinder. Times money!.......Hahahahahaha!

LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Quote: jerrycmorrow - " i'm in. thanks for the thread. i do my porting vicariously. at least for now."
-
ditto my broke ass self on that.
+ + +

Quote Originally Posted by sjames View Post
How great would an instructional video be

Quote: reindeer - Not to step on my good buddy Randall, but I'll just leave this here:

1 The chainsaw guy porting - YouTube
-
Good grief, not knocking the port work,
But couldn't that guy have just put up one video in stead of all those fragments !?!?

I bailed after about the 6th one...
+ + +

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
ScotchBrite brand in tan, red, and gray.

Quote: Blazin - Try the Mirka pads, they blow 3M away for getting in tight spaces....I know this for a fact. And they're only $20 a box.
-
i'd like to hear an off the cuff estimate of a group cost of those burrs in the red case.
I'll bet it would make a fellow wince.
..and give ya a better perspective on the cost of porting.
oh and getting in the edges of that tougher cylinder plating we want,
sorta shortens their useful lifespan.
+ + +

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
"These are just the aluminum chips that landed on the bench.......there was a bunch in the floor.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share...... "
-
well Heck! thought maybe he was gonna rub the back of a few stickers in the shavings and mail 'em out.
+ + +

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
"Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to do a complete porting? Does it vary greatly between models/brands? "

Quote: Mastermind -" 5 - 7 hours is normal. There are a few saws that I can do in 4."
-
mercy! if I slot a couple of screws and work over the muffler on a weedbater
my tendons/hands are burnnig and eratic for the day now.

{and a bit more on the effort}

Originally Posted by Mastermind
5 - 7 hours is normal. There are a few saws that I can do in 4.

Quote: moody - It's nice to see someone finally ask that question. It's definitely not a 2 hour and done deal it takes me a day 8-10 hours (I haven't done the volume you have). Plus I like to take a little extra time to take notes. Polishing is where I lose time at because I'm anal.
-
Dude That vid of yours a few days back, justifies your attention to the details (in my eyes at least)
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/240099.htm
+ + +

Quote: Dennis Cahoon - " Ace's step cut exhaust was different than how this one is done. His step was cut in the front on the lower exhaust port and cut at a square 90 degree angle. Not smoothed in. IMO it was more for the exhaust coming back than going out. "
-
I'd be curious to see an impression of the port, amde from silly putty or modeling clay or whatever's handy
and then a side view of the lump to give us weak eyed folks a easy view.

and I still wish someome had the luxury of the time and various cylinders
to do some molds/patterns of the transfers so we can see the difference
between OEM and aftermarket.
just wondering what sort of goop would work for doing it, that's not ridiculously expensive....

-
Dreamin' here for a moment....( sometimes i hate being on a such low budget life)
I think it'd be a great adventure to take a about 10~12 saws and a couple of cameras
to go on few months "tour" of the country, making stops at some various builders
and "old school" type saw shops.

I think it'd be good to have something that we'd look back on in 20 years
the way it feels to watch something like "on any Sunday" Sunday - YouTube
and Throw in some Fred Dibnah vids also to give yall a bit more of the urge
not a saw builder, He was a steeplejack and a steam man
But you'll love his approach to life.
fred dibnah - Tìm với Google
and if you've never seen any of Fred's vids, you are in for a fine surprise.

A saw vid would have a different content and edit of course
But I still would think you'd get that good nostalgic feel from it
once enough time had passed.

Yeah i know, I think a little too much sometimes.

thomas1

thomas1

sodium pentothal
floating down the river of tears that gushes forth
Yeah i know, I think a little too much sometimes.

In the bottom right corner of every post is the multi-quote button, just to the right of the regular quote button. Click that on each post you want to quote, in the order you want to address them and then click the regular quote button on the last one. That will put all the quotes, in the regular format, in your post.

:cheers:

Last edited: