is Cedar worth burning in a wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from my Mom. Some friends of hers had a Cedar land on their porch last night. It's already cut and stacked they're just looking for someone to come haul it away.

Anyone ever burn it? Does it burn clean/dirty, fast/slow, hot/warm etc..

I love the smell and the sound of a cedar log on the fire...Almost to nice to burn in the insert...It does pop so make sure the door is closed or the screen is in place...

Like others say, it burns very fast, but it is great firewood! The rumor around here is that if you build a cedar fire now and then, it helps clean out the chimney. I don't know for sure if that's true. I always look for cedar when cutting wood. It's light to carry, easy to split, and smells great!

Cedar burns very hot when dry, guys that run steam engines use it to get their boilers up to temp in the mornings.

Split it up small for kindling and keep it really dry, it's great stuff for starting fires and making your stove pipe glow.

Just got an e-mail from my Mom. Some friends of hers had a Cedar land on their porch last night. It's already cut and stacked they're just looking for someone to come haul it away.

I like it especially around Christmas time I usually drag a small piece out on the hearth to smolder and make the room smell good.

It burns pretty fast and hot, some say it has creosote but I dont know about that. We have lots of it here but its usually entangled with poision ivy so I pretty much stay away from it as firewood unless its free of the itchy stuff. :)

Kansas

I have a bunch of cedar shakes (shingles) from last summers re-roof of my house. They are about 30yrs old and very brittle and dry. I'm planning to burn them all up in my new insert.

As mentioned they make great kindling but tend to burn up quite fast.

Any wood thats free is good wood in my books

As you're in western Wa, I assume the tree was a western red cedar...my favorite kindling.

But there's many many cedar type trees.......alaska cedar (yellow) port orford--white cedar, really hard to split, a bit higher heat value........cedrus deodar and atlantica....not native....hard to split.... incense cedar, and many more.....

In trying to build cooking fires in Boundary Waters Park year ago, cedar was about the best we could find. Very little hardwood, and spruce is terrible.

If it's cut and stacked and free then take it. I came in to some free seasoned cedar and redwood and they burn hot and fast, good for a first load to get the night going. For some reason I seem to get a better burn when I mix a little in with my regular Madrone and Live Oak. Cedar also seems to burn down to nothing, I could burn for weeks, it seems, before I have to empty the ashes.

Last edited:

Yes, and I can point you to 600 acres of it that you can have alllll you want or can haul. I will even help you cut it.

We burn lots of cedar. Old pieces of cedar poles are what we use. The old cedar pole are not treated with anything around us. Most are over 50 years old, plenty dry and ready to burn. We use it mostly in early fall and late spring to get a fast hot fire going to take off the morning chill.

Go get it. Stack it in the back and forget about it until next winter. You will have very hot fast fires.

Owl

I bought around 1800 B.F. of Eastern Red a few years ago, make a lot of cedar chests out of it, scraps work great in the OWB, especially when the coals die down, the planer shavings even better...I give those to friends, put them in netting to hang in their closets.

I always keep some cedar in the box for kindling. I burned ½ cord of eastern white cedar at the beginning of this season. It was from the scrap I milled in the spring. Burns pretty in the Oslo, hot, fast, no coals, and a ton of ash. The pretty yellow sap is icing on the cake. I love milling the stuff so I am sure I will be burning more.

I get one pickup load every other year. I use it too start the cookstove every morning. Best kindling there is. Usually split it into slabs and stack them. You can easily crack off kindling with a hatchet or kindling axe or just take a wheelbarrow full over too the splitter and knock them off. You only use about an inch or two of the splitter stroke and they pop right off.

Latest posts

Back