Is it a goner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinS84

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
IMAG0041.jpgHello all. I have a tree that doesn't apper too healthy at the trunk. The top is always full of leaves and healthy branches. I believe its a maple tree. I live in Wisconsin and this is my only shade tree. It is near my garage and I am worried it will fall over. Can someone give me some insight if the tree is doomed and should just be cut down before it falls down?
Thank you!

IMAG0042.jpg

If it is a soft maple, we have one in our yard that looks worse than that. Been there for the 25 years we've been here. But it is your risk. It certainly isn't healthy, but may last a good long time yet. I would watch for further deterioration for sure.;)

Here's the whole tree. Its near my garage as you can see. The tree has been like this since I've lived here (8 years)
IMAG0047.jpg

Is the tree healthy? Yes. Is the tree structurally unsound? Perhaps. Two different issues. I would investigate the amount of decay present in the trunk. It doesn't look good from the pictures. If it was my tree, I would remove it and replace it with a new one.

Is there any way to fix the decay? It has a cavity in it and animals are constantly making homes there.

In the old days, they would fill the cavity with cement. No longer considered a acceptable practice. The tree has the ability to compartmentalize around the damaged areas. Don't bother with any wound paints they sell in the store. Its worthless.

I agree call a professional.....He may suggest through bolting in several areas to stabilize the spars.Might even suggest reducing the greenery to lessen the chance of windthrow.Nice tree,,be a shame to lose it.

Agree with woodchuck. Looks like a lot of strong tissue has been added around the cavity. A very light (10%) reduction with <2" cuts would increase stability. Does not appear urgent from here.

Getting the grass and the dirt off the stem would help slow any decay. Can you post a pic of the first root coming off of the stem?

Yes, thanks! If you want to help your tree, kill the grass and other weeds out to where the roots are exposed. Cover the areas with cardboard, then 2" of mulch, but not on the trunk.

I hate to see those wonderful mowing machines get damaged by those nasty tree roots!

And vice versa. ;)

Latest posts

Back