Is it legal to tie into a cranes loadline? Where to find the right information on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree. OSHA will also show up if you have someone making a complaint, anonymous or otherwise. In most cases it will be an employee or ex-employee that you recently pissed off lol.

Work comp auditors have shown up to my site before but thats always gone well.

Who is a "work comp auditor" associated with? OSHA or state? Besides Iustinian, has anyone here actually been inspected by OSHA? It seems everyone's examples are second hand. I don't say that it doesn't happen it just seems to be a rare occurrence unless there is a fatality. I've been working in the Washington, DC area (the headquarters of OSHA) for 20 years and have never run into this issue.

Who is a "work comp auditor" associated with? OSHA or state? Besides Iustinian, has anyone here actually been inspected by OSHA? It seems everyone's examples are second hand. I don't say that it doesn't happen it just seems to be a rare occurrence unless there is a fatality. I've been working in the Washington, DC area (the headquarters of OSHA) for 20 years and have never run into this issue.

Comp is associated with the state. some states allow you to go to an underwriter some don't. In PA i had to stay with the state for a number of years without a claim before i could move to an underwriter or a union. Comp audits your books on a yearly basis and you have to have the posters so your employees can read them. so they are hanging around the shop.

OSHA normally only does show up when their is a fatality or an accident. mostly because they police a lot more than just tree care. but they are definitely around. guy got electricuted a few years ago and i think his osha fines alone added up to around 200k.

But if another company where to turn you in or ex employee for doing unsafe practice more than likely they might show up.

and heres a picture of me riding the hook under the wires and out over the back of a house to pick a tree that fell on it? o my under the wires and on the hook two fouls happened there what to do. what to do.
see thies new fangled ones don't have 50 levers you can get a remote control kinda like what you use to turn your TV on if your still with me. And you don't even need an operator!! a one man wrecking machine.

aefcd1e9-8b24-3e69.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Oh, I thought you said crane.
I didn't know Harbor Freight or is that Northern Hydraulics sold fishing poles that big.

Oh, I thought you said crane.
I didn't know Harbor Freight or is that Northern Hydraulics sold fishing poles that big.

please don't make me go out in the dark and snap pictures of the 60ton i have more than one. And you know whats funny the crane in the picture, odds are is worth more than what your operating even tho its only 75 foot. you can buy a brand new 30 ton for less money. and at that angle i can guarantee you it will out pick whatever your running.

pound for pound knuckle boom is the strongest hydraulic mounted lifting device on a truck. (pound for pound) find an 8 thousand pound crane that will lift 14k at that angle then lets talk.

Last edited:
Lol, hey Matt, maybe you can buy yourself a nice rainbow for your avatar next! Go git em Bulldog!! Grr... :laugh:

yea whats up with all this crazy ass crap people have in there posts I mean real dark lettering , personalized sayings under there names I even saw some queer with tree beard or something under there gay KELLY GREEN name turns red and ####..:eek2:

please don't make me go out in the dark and snap pictures of the 60ton i have more than one. And you know whats funny the crane in the picture, odds are is worth more than what your operating even tho its only 75 foot. you can buy a brand new 30 ton for less money. and at that angle i can guarantee you it will out pick whatever your running.

pound for pound knuckle boom is the strongest hydraulic mounted lifting device on a truck. (pound for pound) find an 8 thousand pound crane that will lift 14k at that angle then lets talk.

K-booms are the shizzzzit. Even if your not lifting your self(that is so cool)the radio control allows you to view the the pick from any angle you want. Insurance advantages also i believe.
Why doesn't anyone use the winch on K-booms?

Im new to this forum and i know this subject has been discussed before but, Ive heard and read several answers and i was wondering if OSHA or ANSI or whoever has a page or website to tell me if riding a cranes load line is legal or not. From what ive read in the past and learned is that if you tie into the load line above the headache ball with 2 tie in points its ok. But i am just not clear on the subject because people say different things and if that is ok im just looking for proof of it. Also i hear that a new law from OSHA is that all crane operators must have a CCO certification by the year 2014, Whats your thought or comments on this?

With regard to the OSHA policy of requiring upper controls on personnel platforms attached to mobile crane booms established by our June 14 letter, please be advised that that letter has been superseded and is no longer in effect. OSHA's current policy is as follows:

Personnel platforms that are suspended from the load line and used in construction are covered by 29 CFR 1926.550(g). Under that standard there is no requirement for controls at the platform station. In addition, there is no specific provision for suspended personnel platforms in Part 1910. The governing provision, therefore, is general provision 1910.180(h)(3)(v), which prohibits hoisting, lowering, swinging or traveling while anyone is on the load or hook. OSHA has determined, however, that when the use of a conventional means of access to an elevated worksite would be impossible or more hazardous, a violation of 1910.180(h)(3)(v) will be treated as de minimis if the employer has complied with the provisions set forth in 1926.550(g)(3), 1926.550(g)(4), 1926.550(g)(5), 1926.550(g)(6), 1926.550(g)(7) and 1926.550(g)(8).

02/17/1993 - Suspended personnel platforms.

now this one says no, so need a new one
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24409

now this one says go with ANSI Standards

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25577

Last edited:
yea whats up with all this crazy ass crap people have in there posts I mean real dark lettering , personalized sayings under there names I even saw some queer with tree beard or something under there gay KELLY GREEN name turns red and ####..:eek2:

Does MDS not now ive had him on the ignore list for like a month now? i can only see it if you quote it like that. him and a few others made the list ive never been happier here.

Does MDS not now ive had him on the ignore list for like a month now? i can only see it if you quote it like that. him and a few others made the list ive never been happier here.

I think it's a good thing that you have been able to "come out", and be honest with yourself about things Matt!

More power to ya!! and best of luck with the next new crane bud!!

Last edited:

Gee, I'd love to talk. Thing is I operate a crane, and you call an oiler's truck with a loading boom a crane. Where shall we begin?

My climate controlled cab tilts 20° at the touch of a button so I don't gt a stiff neck looking out to the end of 237 feet of boom. How far does that HIAB reach?
The machine I've run the last 2 years weighs just short of 90,000 pounds. Your HIAB rig weighs how much?
I can lock onto the counterweights and mount them without leaving the seat. Does your HIAB have counterweights?

Tell you what, I'll print that picture of you dangling on the end of the fishpole and tack it up on the board next time I'm in the shop. You serve as a shining example.

Gee, I'd love to talk. Thing is I operate a crane, and you call an oiler's truck with a loading boom a crane. Where shall we begin?

My climate controlled cab tilts 20° at the touch of a button so I don't gt a stiff neck looking out to the end of 237 feet of boom. How far does that HIAB reach?
The machine I've run the last 2 years weighs just short of 90,000 pounds. Your HIAB rig weighs how much?
I can lock onto the counterweights and mount them without leaving the seat. Does your HIAB have counterweights?

Tell you what, I'll print that picture of you dangling on the end of the fishpole and tack it up on the board next time I'm in the shop. You serve as a shining example.

Congrats, you are the first actual person I have neg repped. I don't even neg rep the dumb asses that post in the commercial forum but you are special.

stats

if your going to brag about your machine, try to get the specs right. theres no machine around with 237 ft. and a tilt cab that weighs 90,000# working unless they just let you drive it from job to job, stripped down. then they let a real op set it up and run it.

if your going to brag about your machine, try to get the specs right. theres no machine around with 237 ft. and a tilt cab that weighs 90,000# working unless they just let you drive it from job to job, stripped down. then they let a real op set it up and run it.

Can you spell GROVE TMS 9000E?

GROVE is a division of Manitouac.

Fuel mileage sucketh!

89,972# according to the manufacturer, I've never bothered to weigh it though.

BTW, you're right, I don't drive it, that's the oiler's job. He drives from the nontilting cab under the headblock when the boom is collapsed. I just go round and round all day.

Congrats, you are the first actual person I have neg repped. I don't even neg rep the dumb asses that post in the commercial forum but you are special.

Gee, thanks. Does that entitle me to a free steak dinner for two that I'll need a chainsaw to cut? Will there be a nice wood mounted brass plaque? I can prop it up in the window of my climate controlled cab, maybe even use it for a cutting board for my cheese & cracker snack in the afternoon.

fdoberman

Why dont you go back under your rock. I dont care how big your stick is or how many peddles you got, nor does anyone else care!!!!! I know all the crane ops around here drive there own truck, even the ones as big as yours.

Gee, thanks. Does that entitle me to a free steak dinner for two that I'll need a chainsaw to cut? Will there be a nice wood mounted brass plaque? I can prop it up in the window of my climate controlled cab, maybe even use it for a cutting board for my cheese & cracker snack in the afternoon.

Sure, if you like tube steak.

fdoberman

Why dont you go back under your rock. I dont care how big your stick is or how many peddles you got, nor does anyone else care!!!!! I know all the crane ops around here drive there own truck, even the ones as big as yours.

Lancaster, let me think.
Oh, the place where all the rolling equipment is pulled by horses.
Now are you talking about the thing with ropes that lifts the hay up into the barn with the big wheel the horse walks in, or has some Dutchie rigged an A frame onto his wagon?

Of course everybody who's a crane op in Lancaster drives their own. The horse won't move for everybody and his cousin.

Only place I know of there is Dorney Park. Do you operate a ride at Dorney Park?

are you serious HIAB is a brand and mine is definetly not a HIAB. Since when did HIAB start painting their stuff yellow? I also am starting to highly doubt someone as intelligent as is even allowed to see if the correct psi are in the tires of ford fiesta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back