Is it me, or is the Stihl crank seal puller tool junk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2StrokeFondler

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I pulled maybe 10 seals with it. None was easy. Every single one was a fight. Always slipping off. Tried pre tapping the seals. Tried warming the case. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Any tips?

I would think if you heat the case enough (i.e., with a heat gun), the seals would just tap out easily with a socket or dowel...

The idea is to get the seal out without splitting the case, you have to pick it out . Tap it in and then pick it out. no heat needed , if you have never done it, dont post how to do it.
Either way — tapping it through or picking it out of the recess, the application of heat does assist in the process. And yes, I've done both before, and unless you know that (which you do not) don't post about what you don't know...

I think I pulled maybe 10 seals with it. None was easy. Every single one was a fight. Always slipping off. Tried pre tapping the seals. Tried warming the case. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Any tips?
Theres a tool made for that?
a pick/awl and a hammer have always served me well.

Either way — tapping it through or picking it out of the recess, the application of heat does assist in the process. And yes, I've done both before, and unless you know that (which you do not) don't post about what you don't know...
I guess I have been to maybe 10 or 15 Stihl schools Heat was never brought up when replacing seals'' you get enough heat on them you stand a chance of unseating the bearing. A lot of people read these post to learn how to work on their saws , I am sure you know how to replace your seals, just no need to complicate things for the beginners.
David

Used mine for 30 some years. On smaller seals I tighten the legs under the seal, turn the whole tool a few times and tighten again. Occasionally I have to do it twice in a stubborn seal. Still much quicker and less chance of damage than a pick or screwdriver (I have done it that way also).
Loosening the seal with a small punch does help.
Using the correct legs on the tool makes a big difference.

I made the mistake of purchasing, on a whim, an AM Stihl-like puller. It is useless because, as the original OP mentioned, the tips of the jaws just slip off their holds on the seal. Luckily I still have my old reliable Lisle tool, punches, modified flat-blade screwdrivers, small sheet metal screws etc. Good to have multiple options.

Has anyone use something like this? This was on YouTube, pretty spendy but good for one specific use, but there was a set of two large and a small on a Facebook post a few weeks ago, but I can’t find the source.

Attachments

• 99D8B9EA-18FA-4CA9-B1A1-64A24D02FEAA.png
    99D8B9EA-18FA-4CA9-B1A1-64A24D02FEAA.png
    849.3 KB · Views: 1
Back