Is it ok for a saw to smoke??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a lawn service so I use over five gallons of mixed gas a week, and all my equipment is stihl. None of my other equipment smokes, not even my little 021 saw. What are the factory settings for the carb adj. Screws???

I own a lawn service so I use over five gallons of mixed gas a week, and all my equipment is stihl. None of my other equipment smokes, not even my little 021 saw. What are the factory settings for the carb adj. Screws???

1 turn ea. Sometimes if your getting too much bar oil on the saw from revving it up w/no wood or oiler is adjusted to max oil will get on the saw and burn off making smoke

Last edited:
I'll prolly just take it to the shop and hav them do it, I really don't have the know how to do it. But I would like to know where the adj. For the oiler is because my 021 oils pretty slow. Thanks for having patience with me, I know greenhorns can get nerve racking.

Page 38 of the manual link I gave you. It tells you how to adjust it. If it has limiters on the screws you can only turn it so much so just turn it in as far as it will let you then back it out the amount needed(according to the manual). If it doesnt have limiters its 1 turn. The limiter is a plastic thing over part of the screw with tabs sticking out that limit the amount you can turn the screw.

what is the correct mixture for this, it is 50:1 isn't it???
yeah its 50:1! if youve got fresh gas&oil, then id bet its a ring!
.....try the STIHL HP Super [if you can find it] and mix it with some 93octane,
and tell us if it still smokes!
SUPEROIL.jpg

The inside of the muffler could be coated with oil/carbon and you are just burning it out.

wow, it sounds like it could be a lot of things. Do you think I should just run it for a while to see if she clears up???
Are the air filter and muffler screen clean ? We've offered possible causes but you haven't ruled any of them out, except the 50:1 question.

Still Smoking?

Didn't I read in here a while back that accumulated oil in the crankcase can make a saw smoke for a while. The OP said it's a new saw for him; perhpas storage or use by the previous owner has caused oil to pool in the crankcase - now it's burning off???

The inside of the muffler could be coated with oil/carbon and you are just burning it out.

I thought of something like this, but any "burning off" would have been done long before he was finished for the day. In the OP he said it smokes "continuously" from start to finish.

I have a little homelite xl2 that is near impossible to fill the oil on without dripping some of it, so when I start it up it seems to always smoke a little - but it does stop after its burned off.

Continual burning makes me think it is something that needs attending to.

sorry about that, yes, the air filter is new and clean, so is the muffler, so we can rule those out. Thanks.
Okay. Next you need to determine if the carb. needs adjusting or if there is some other mechanical issue. Try the easy stuff 1st.

-What color is the business end of the spark plug ?
-Do you know how to tune a carb. ?
-You had the muffler off, I assume, when you checked the screen. Did you look at the piston and cylinder and see that they have no scoring ?
-Do you have a compression gauge ?

Did you buy this saw used or new ? How does it cut ?
Maybe you don't have any problem. Maybe the dealer set it rich for the break in period ?

Last edited:
Didn't I read in here a while back that accumulated oil in the crankcase can make a saw smoke for a while. The OP said it's a new saw for him; perhpas storage or use by the previous owner has caused oil to pool in the crankcase - now it's burning off???

not possible for oil to accumulate in the case. oil dissolves easily in gasoline, the case is in constant contact with fresh fuel which would carry anything away with it that is petroleum based. I have never seen a case or crankshaft that has any staining at all from any oil.

Back