Is it possible to convert a Remington Mighty Mite deluxe to electric ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpod

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the process of restoring my fathers Remington mighty mite deluxe. It has good compression, I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced fuel lines. replacing the duckbill valve is on my list to still do. I have cleaned the points and re-gapped to proper specs. Used new fuel as well. I am wondering if the spar is just not strong enough?
It is difficult to find a replacement coil. I was wondering if it was possible to convert this saw to electronic ignition?
any thought or help would be appreciated.

this saw has sentimental value and I'd love to be able to get it running and just cut one small tree for memories sake.

My advice is not to convert to electronic, keep it original, just like your father had it..

Test the primary and secondary windings in the coil as well as the capacitance, charging, holding and discharging of the capacitor, that will give you a good indication as to what’s at fault.

Many spark issues are attributed to the capacitor, but not all. You’ll need a multimeter to run the tests.

Good luck with your project!

If you suspect weak spark, a good test is to open up the gap on a spare plug to about 0.100" and test it for spark by holding it against the cylinder and pulling the engine over. If you get consistent spark with this gap in air, then it should be good with the right gap under compression. You haven't mentioned if you get any spark at all or if there is something else that causes a no-run condition.

If you suspect weak spark, a good test is to open up the gap on a spare plug to about 0.100" and test it for spark by holding it against the cylinder and pulling the engine over. If you get consistent spark with this gap in air, then it should be good with the right gap under compression. You haven't mentioned if you get any spark at all or if there is something else that causes a no-run condition.
I do get a spark. I will try your suggestion tomorrow to see if i can get a spark with that wide of a gap. Thanks

My advice is not to convert to electronic, keep it original, just like your father had it..

Test the primary and secondary windings in the coil as well as the capacitance, charging, holding and discharging of the capacitor, that will give you a good indication as to what’s at fault.

Many spark issues are attributed to the capacitor, but not all. You’ll need a multimeter to run the tests.

Good luck with your project!
Thanks for that advice. I'll report back on my testing asap

Hi, I just wanted to give an update on the progress I'm making restoring this saw.
I took the coil out to test it and noticed that there was a small nick in the wire covering. It was on the wire leading from the points to the coil. I could see the bare wire at the base of this nick so I sealed this area up with electrical tape. The coil appears fine as it read 5 K Ohms. I tested the spark with an old spark plug spread out as suggested by Old2stroke and it appeared strong. I reassembled and the saw started up with no problems.
Thanks for the good advice, . had I not removed the coil I would not have noticed the problem with the wire.

My next job now is to check the chain to see if it needs to be sharpened or replaced.

Latest posts

Back