Is it possible to preserve a forest without logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally remembered to get back and read these posts.

Good ideas you all have.

I just discovered that our state - Oregon - has a State Forestry Board.

It crossed my mind to apply for it.

Most of the people on the board seem to be heavy into the forest products industry. I don't think anyone on the board is from an environmental protection background.

I'm finishing my second 3 year term on the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board in fall of 2005. I would not want another function until that is over.

I'm just dabbling in thought about the other board. I'm rather soft on forestry specific knowledge, but I think I would be an asset to a board like that. I don't have an agenda. I like preservation of forests but I'm not on the side of forestry nor of the environmentalists. I believe in trying to give everyone some of what they need.

The only time I'm rock solid is if someone can prove that a certain change will wipe out a species. Nature is so intricate, we cant afford to lose a species if we can avoid that.

But in general, I'm fairly open to ideas.

The first board openings appear to come around in 2006. There is a difference; the landscape board is a direct appointment by the Governor. But the forestry board appointments must also be approved though the state senate or house.

BY THE WAY - NICE AVATAR NICKROSIS / THE CONE

netree said:
Mario, we do wish you'd visit more often!
Don't sound so grandmotherly!

Mario, dude, you rock. We loves yo style and yo moves.

M.D. Vaden said:
BY THE WAY - NICE AVATAR NICKROSIS / THE CONE
I read your post the first time through, missed this comment, thinking it was part of your signature. Then I re-read it to check something else and found this at the bottom!

Thank you very much. It's out of my own digital photo album. I figured last night while looking for something suitable that I have enough pictures to look at one for a 1/2 second and spend 6 straight hours looking at images. :dizzy:

So glad I have Picasa! Anways, thanks for the comment and good luck with your endeavors, including the book writing.

Actually guys, natural sources of ignition are the most prevalent today, and have always been ( at least in the west ). I can show you lightning strike maps where there were over 4,000 active strikes in a 24-hour period west of the cascades alone, in several consecutive years.

In 1996 there were several fires on both the west and east sides of the cascades ( 2,000+ acres in size ) that went unmanned due to the sheer number of lightning caused fires at the time. For more info on the stats of lightning caused fires, go here: http://www.nifc.gov

I may take you up on that offer very soon. I was itching to drive to the coast this week, but my 2003 Dodge Ram is in the body shop.

About 2 weeks ago, I popped the back of another pickup - my first fender bender in 25 years. Anyway, I'm just getting by at work. Thank God I bought a GMC Safari for our personal vehicle. Those have a truck chassis and can haul a trailer. So I'm sharing it with my wife.

The landscape job I just did was one where almost all material were delivered, so all I had to do was drop off my tools before I started. I took the trailer by there today - since it's done - to pack up all the tools.

I really like travelling in the truck when I can. It's got headroom and I like the seats a lot.

How about going to my website - link is in my signature - and from my menu, pick the CONTACT page. You can send me your phone number and address from there. I think I can swing by in two weeks or less.

Be sure to put something obvious in the subject line if you email, or in the first sentence if you use the form provided (like Oregon coast arborist sending contact info).

Have a good day - all.

Thanks.

You should have got my acknowledgement email earlier.

I sent a note to my webmaster to let him know about the contact form problem.

We may fix it or even delete it.

After 2 years of having the website, I'm almost leaning toward having people make phone calls if they need an estimate rather than the email.

Latest posts

Back