Is it time to let go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Had an Echo sc4400 for the last three years and have over 200 hours on it. The only money spent on it,(other than gas, oil & chains) was for another bar and a carb kit. The average joe would not notice it but I'm finding that its slowly loosing power and revving a bit higher than normal. That said, I'm guessing it could be in need of a cylinder kit to get it back to normal. Just wondering if its time to let go and buy a new saw or fix the old one? HC

fwf

ArboristSite Operative
hobby climber said:
...The average joe would not notice it but I'm finding that its slowly loosing power and revving a bit higher than normal. ...

I think you're suffering from "new chainsaw lust". All my saws loose power when the new models are released.

Joe

hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Hi Mike, I tryed that trick today at the shop. If I pick it up slow ..the saw comes up without slipping. If I pick it up normal, it cylcles a couple of times. Whats your take? HC (Have to take a call...sorry, back in a few).

hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
oldsaw addict, I do take very good care of my equipment and the chain is always sharp, resharpened or replaced if wore out. If ya noticed above, I mentioned that I've logged over 200 hours on it. I'm just weighing out the pros & cons of repairing the old or going new! The guy at the shop (a friend of mine), said that he could likely sell that saw for me and get $200 (Canadian) for it and put it toward a new saw. This old echo has seen a lot of use not abuse! ...back to you. HC

hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Interesting question. Its only been acting up with this last tank of fuel that I mixed a while ago. But as stated above , there is over 200 hours on the thing. Perhaps I may have error'ed in mixing the fuel. Earlier this evening I made up a new tank of 50:1, I'll drain the saw and refill it with the fresh mix and see what happens this weekend! Thanks for the tip. HC

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
hobby climber said:
Hi Mike, I tryed that trick today at the shop. If I pick it up slow ..the saw comes up without slipping. If I pick it up normal, it cylcles a couple of times. Whats your take? HC (Have to take a call...sorry, back in a few).

Sounds like it has excellent compression. If it is loosing power, look elsewhere for the problem.

hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
The saw is at the shop and will find out what the problem is soon. I called Echo Canada today and gave them the saws history and current problem. They were very helpful and also think it may be an air leak or need a short block (cylinder kit). The retail price for the short block in Canadian dollars is...$319.00 plus tax of-course, OUCH! For that price your basically giving it a new motor and are good for another 200 plus hours. Home Depot here sell the same saw (Echo cs4400), for under $500.00cdn. I'm hoping it is an air leak or something minor, if not I'll have him sell it for what ever he can get for it and order that husky 357xp that I've had my eye on! :Eye: :Eye: , HC

hobby climber

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Interesting, that'll explain why the guy I spoke to at Echo Canada seemed surprised when I told him about my say chocking with just over 200 hours ! The saw's still at the shop and I haven't heard anything yet form the owner who's a friend of mine. HC