Is my I circle hitch right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Brushcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

Been trying some new hitches out is my I circle tied right? I did it on a 1.5m split tail and it wasn't quite long enough for 6 turns above the loop as the book recomended. I've tried sliding it up and down and the friction seems good or do i need the 6?

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Hi

Been trying some new hitches out is my I circle tied right? I did it on a 1.5m split tail and it wasn't quite long enough for 6 turns above the loop as the book recomended. I've tried sliding it up and down and the friction seems good or do i need the 6?

holy hitchanomics what kind of knot is that never seen it in the us

Interesting, have not tried that one. Get a low branch and try it out, foot lock a few and desend. Interesting.
Jack

WTF is an 'I Circle' hitch? Is that the redneck pronunciation of the icicle hitch? The only place I've ever seen or heard of it was over at http://www.proclimber.co.uk/forum/default.asp which is a supplier based in Europe. I haven't looked to see if it's the same hitch. Look up the Icicle hitch over there and see if it's the same.

skwerl said:
WTF is an 'I Circle' hitch? Is that the redneck pronunciation of the icicle hitch?

Bro... you have zero respect for anyone don't you. What kind of a reply is that. Guy asks a simple question, maybe misspells the name of a knot, and you rail him.

Get a friggin' life.:censored:

Gary

Thanks for your insightful opinion, Gary. Very helpful. Here's the Icicle Hitch as shown on Proclimber:
Icicle-hitch.jpg

Icicle-Hitch2.jpg

Here is the accompanying text:
A fantastic new hitch for the up-to-the-minute Arborist. Well not exactly new, it's been around for some time now in the sailing world but only recently used as a tree-climbing friction hitch.

It is the only hitch known to grip a tapering spar, and if it grips a taper it will grip anything! And grip it does, if tied and set correctly (min of 3 wraps) it will not slip but will release freely to push up a climbing line. Works well with 10.5 mm rope as shown.

Bill'em Dan-o(always wanted to say that), it is just a coil, with yet a different half hitch strategy under it; this is styled to make a stiff pusher ring, as well as buffer loading to both ends of the coil instead of jsut 1 like Distel and Schwab; so they aren't self tending like Icicle!

i don't think you can grab both legs and pull like we use the hitch to grip tapered spar. The way it was developed by John Smith to show at Intnl. Knot Tyers Guild; to specifically meet the accepted as impossible challenge to grip and pull a polished, tapered spar; is the same lacing but pulling bottom coil leg to purposefully trap leg that leads to top of coil against the tapered spar. Then, the hitch is used as intended; to pull the tapered spar.

Icicle is a nice fairly self tending ride (better than Knut and the TK variation of Knut with Marl IMLHO); along with it's brother the Sailor's Gripping Hitch(that Tim asked about recently); of which i ride a self modified version of. i think my ride self tends very nicely; especially in 3/8" Tenex. Which i also favored the Icicle and Sailor's Gripping Hitch for it's better grip, strength and less leveraged loss of strength around the tight/tight bend of coiling around a 1/2" host life line.

i only notice a fairly even strip of wear; Tenex even remaining flat after awhile, so only giving 2 sides to use. But i don't do hard burnouts and can ride a cord awhile. Plus in DdRT the hitch is only carrying something like half of nothing!

Or something like that!

The Icicile looks similar to a Swabish, except for that twist, self tending half hitch that the cord eyes go through, similar to the difference between a Knut and the TK hybrid of the Knut. I have never climb on this hitch but it looks like it locks down hard and would be hard to advance. It looks like a great for gripping a pull line using a 5 to 1 or a small winch.

I'm missing something here on this tapering spar ?? I understand the words but what does this have to do with the Icicle other than it will grip it. I guess it is my turn for a newbie type question.

Larry

Back