Is there a big difference between 272XP and 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcw74801

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a 359 new with 20" bar. I changed out the epa muffler and love the saw. There is a 272xp for sale locally by the original owner claiming one season of usage. I'm assuming the saw may have been sitting for a number of years if it has not been used since that one season. I have not yet seen the saw. Owner is asking $200.

I was wondering if there is a significant difference in performance of the 272 over my 359?

If so, I think it would be good to have both and run a 18" bar on the 359 and 24" bar on the 272, which it currently has on it. The owner has also used a 28" bar.

thanks,
John
Bethel Acres, OK

The 272 is a quick high reving 70cc saw, it is the predecessor to the 371/372. It will toast your 359 if its running right. Not a bad price if its in good shape. Cylinders are getting tough to find but pistons are in good supply as with most of the rest of the saw.

I bought a 359 new with 20" bar. I changed out the epa muffler and love the saw. There is a 272xp for sale locally by the original owner claiming one season of usage. I'm assuming the saw may have been sitting for a number of years if it has not been used since that one season. I have not yet seen the saw. Owner is asking $200.

I would buy that in a heartbeat :heart: , but thats just me. :help:

I heat my home with wood and harvest all the wood I can get my hands on. Sounds like this saw would be a welcome addition. Oh no, once you buy your 2nd saw what's to stop you from buying the 3rd, 4th..... :)

What would be the longest bar I could reasonably run on the 272?

I have two 100+ year old oak tree trunks that I have been trying to cut into small enough chunks to haul home to my splitter. Probably 36" in diameter. The 359 with 20" bar is doing the job but obviously is not enough saw for that tree.

john

I heat my home with wood and harvest all the wood I can get my hands on. Sounds like this saw would be a welcome addition. Oh no, once you buy your 2nd saw what's to stop you from buying the 3rd, 4th..... :)

I have two 100+ year old oak tree trunks that I have been trying to cut into small enough chunks to haul home to my splitter. Probably 36" in diameter. The 359 with 20" bar is doing the job but obviously is not enough saw for that tree.

john

24" with full comp, 32" with full skip and patience, is my guess....

john

It will carry a 28" bar. They feel better with a 24" to 26" on them. I have bucked up 36" logs with a 28" no problem, just cut over the top.

My buddy runs a 272; won't quite keep up with my 372, but a one owner 272 for that price is a no brainer: BUY IT!!

The 272 is a beast with a 20" bar, but pretty much maxxed out with a 24" bar. I've ran my 268XPS side by side with 272's on several occassions, no measurable difference. The 372XP's we've ran may be just a smidge, and I mean a smidge faster, but not by much. None of those saws are comfortable with over 24" bars, but do OK with them, just my opinion from the ones I've ran here in hardwood.......Cliff

Well, I just looked at the saw and of course it wasn't quite as described so now I'm wondering whether to buy it.

The ad said bought new and not much more than a season's use. So I pictured a clean saw with not a lot of visual wear. Well, this saw has never been cleaned and looks pretty worn. The owner's story immediately came under suspicion but the more he talked it was obvious he knows saws and is familiar with this one. He took it apart and we looked it over. We pulled the muffler. The piston and cylinder walls look real good. By his own admission the air cleaner has never been changed and the spark plug only once. And he has ran motor oil for chain lube, I'm guessing used oil, not new. I was afraid to ask.

The saw appears complete and unaltered. It was out of fuel and oil so we topped it off with my stuff and it started good, idled good, runs good off idle, revs good, and restarts good warm.

The 24" chain is so dull it wouldn't cut much, only making dust so I couldn't get a feel for the power in the cut. It didn't bog any.

He wants $200 and wouldn't take $150. He is going to see if he can find his 28" bar and chain to include with the deal.

So, does it still sound like a saw that could be worth $200?

thanks,
john

Yup, if it runs good then thats what matters. I wouldn't worry about the bar oil being old motor oil. Might have ruined a few bars and chains over it but the saw should be ok.

Ya, get it, if he used, used motor oil, that could contribute to it looking old and dirty and well used even though it may not be well used, running used motor oil seems to do that, makes a hell of a mess. I paid $150 for mine, and it needed a new coil/module. I love it.

Well, I just looked at the saw and of course it wasn't quite as described so now I'm wondering whether to buy it.

The ad said bought new and not much more than a season's use. So I pictured a clean saw with not a lot of visual wear. Well, this saw has never been cleaned and looks pretty worn. The owner's story immediately came under suspicion but the more he talked it was obvious he knows saws and is familiar with this one. He took it apart and we looked it over. We pulled the muffler. The piston and cylinder walls look real good. By his own admission the air cleaner has never been changed and the spark plug only once. And he has ran motor oil for chain lube, I'm guessing used oil, not new. I was afraid to ask.

The saw appears complete and unaltered. It was out of fuel and oil so we topped it off with my stuff and it started good, idled good, runs good off idle, revs good, and restarts good warm.

The 24" chain is so dull it wouldn't cut much, only making dust so I couldn't get a feel for the power in the cut. It didn't bog any.

He wants $200 and wouldn't take $150. He is going to see if he can find his 28" bar and chain to include with the deal.

So, does it still sound like a saw that could be worth $200?

thanks,
john

Tell you what I used one from new to old took many years to
wear out. If you don't buy that saw let someone else, that is a great
buy on that saw if it runs good. The only problems I had on the one
I spoke of, was finally the oiler went out, and a few times chain adjuster
broke but the saw was used by three different men on powerline clearance.
The company would not even fix them after a few years they just bought
new and parted the old!

Last edited:
Back