is there a way to "practice" kickback??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing about this thread...the more experienced saw users and the pros who make their living with a saw offered the best advice. Imagine that.

Some of the more experienced week end warriors did pretty good even though most of them have never really seen or experienced a full-on kickback. May they never.

A couple of the more opinionated but badly misinformed members gave downright crappy advice. Telling everyone to run a saw WOT all the time is just dumb. If they're finessing a hinge on a bad leaner and they run WOT all the time I'll be sure and bring my video camera...and stand way back. Maybe they ought to practice kickback scenarios...Darwinism will probably take care of them.

Burvol and RandyMac said it best. Run that saw...run it every minute.

Last edited:
Blow hard? Blow me.

Learn how to use a chain break? What, activate it? Your an idiot thinking what I said was macho. Sorry you run your little saws in your "wood lot" and read the manual waiting for the right circumstance to arrive :buttkick: There, that was Macho.

What I said and share here is proffesional advice. I live on a saw. You don't have to chime in with stupid #### like WOT or nothing. That tells us pro guys your an idiot, pure and simple :)
Oh wait, that's how you run skip chain through everything. Brush, limbs, whips, ect. The stuff that most often does and will cause kick backs.

100% correct in my opinion. In no way am I a pro cutter but when I limb I only use part throttle just enough to get through the limb. I find I can feel the saws action better that way. Even when dropping trees I don't always have it wide open. I want to see and hear what's going on not just go indian WOT and hope for the best.

I just cut firewood but the pros that I have seen use saws never just cut right through WOT. They cut a bit stop check progress cut some more and so forth. In my opinion you can't control a saw at WOT and feel the hinge break loose at the same time. just my .02

More wet dreams from the wannabe appointed "pros".
Hey, it's the internet, choose what you want. My experience, and yours.
Get your rocks off online....fine.:monkey:

I am no pro , I just fix pro's saws, but I have used a saw for about 40 years. The only thing that has ever really caused me pain is cutting big logs with an 066 or similar and a 36 inch or so bar and seeing the gap closing pull the thing out while still giving it enough juice not to get stuck. It will knock a dent in your thigh every now and then. It's enough to make you use a wedge or something.:)

Last edited:
Hello All

This may be a dumb question but is there a way to make my saw kick back so I can see how it feels and how to handle it?

I am just starting to lean how to use a saw and thought this may be something to learn the feel of

Thanks again

Have not posted on this as it is an experience you DO NOT LIKE.

RECENT poster cutting cookies was doing BAD things with his left hand/arm with bar/saw full throttle in the cut........moving left arm to handle left side (side of saw) , full in cut, WOT, with face/head in line with bar...........what would stop that kick back? Your scull?

I had a dear old friend who ran the real big ones, who has 1/3 of right ear. If he had been doing such foolishness , the HUGE OLD HOMIE would have split him in half.........

Always keep left arm as far right of body/head.

Left arm . elbow locked , if you don't lock elbow, be ready to duck.

Stay safe.

Start out small ( Wild thingy) if you REALLY need "practice"; fingers , ears, tendons, noses, can be repaired/replaced.....

If you run WOT and have sharp chain and watch what you are doing, 1 in 100,000 cuts will result in a controled KB. If you take rakers down indescriminately , all bets are off.
John

Yep. I spent most of the day practicing kickback. Don't even need a haircut now.

I KB'd a few times today cutting out saddle knotches for log homes, but it was no biggy, I wasn't using the tip in the right way, but I still didn't cut outside the line, so I must be a KB affininado. Lol
John

If you run WOT and have sharp chain and watch what you are doing, 1 in 100,000 cuts will result in a controled KB. If you take rakers down indescriminately , all bets are off.
John

I gotta call baloney on that.
Nobody here can count that high, or get that many cuts in before trading off the saw.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I gotta call baloney on that.
Nobody here can count that high, or get that many cuts in before trading off the saw.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

dinger,
i'm a master of understatement, I already cut, limbed and bucked over 600 pecker poles this year and I don't think I made a dent in it yet!
Gypo

I had a few lil kickers today also. Husky 345. Little saw but it kicks just like the rest of them, just not near as hard as say, my 660.

Was cutting off 2x8 pieces of sawmill oak slabs that we built cattle pens out of today. Had to use the upper tip of the bar mostly to get to them. Yup, that forbidden upper tip we all talk about.:)

Kicked on me quite a few times, but what I had going for me that beginners don't is that I knew it was coming and was ready to handle it. Just standing to the side and letting her hop up a little when it kicked. Instead of bracing for the impact, I just hold firm and let it walk a little. No harm done!

Not practicing kickback, just doing my job!:clap:

Stihl MS260 Pro-(Maggie).

"A Bombay beauty in a tight black dress
pours our beer and cleans our mess
answers to the name of Maggie May
When we see her, what do we say?"

More wet dreams from the wannabe appointed "pros".
Hey, it's the internet, choose what you want. My experience, and yours.
Get your rocks off online....fine.:monkey:

Like I said. Guys that work with saws and guys that play. Which one are you? If you had a real opinion you would have offered it up again. Instead of this bs.

I like getting my rocks off in the woods. Kickback at low rpm is a cheap thrill.

Latest posts

Back