Is this a good buy? Trailer load un-split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Black

Mildly Eccentric
Reaction score
Always hardwood about 6.5 face per dump trailer load depending how u split

$250

Attachments

• 00505_60fxM3xDBpm_600x450.jpg
    00505_60fxM3xDBpm_600x450.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 173
I was just telling the wife that I paid $80.00 a logger cord for oak and maple logs and ended up giving him $100.00 per cord because the logs were so nice. When I look at your load, I'd jump on it. You don't need to do any falling of the trees, no liming, no stacking brush, no bucking and it's dumped at your area..... I'd get all the loads that I could, I'd get a few free lumber covers from the lumber yard for ground cover, split logs and let them sit in pile on the tarps for a year or so and you'll be set..

No way! You can make that load yourself in about 4 hours, at least I can and I'll be 66 years old next month and do it all the time. Get off the damned couch and save yourself $250.
I tend to agree. I usually prefer to cut my own otherwise I end up with too many odd sizes for 12" - 30" rounds and that's just plain frustrating and I seem to end up spending just as much time dinking around on that as I would have just doing it myself.

If I read things right, you're paying right at $125 a cord, dumped at your location.
It's not the deal of the Century but if you're short on spare time it's reasonable.
I'd do it.

I'd be highly suspicious of there being two full cords on that load. My 7x12 dump trailer with 2' sides and heaped with splits is only 1 full cord. That trailer is most likely a 16' trailer so that makes it 1 1/2 cords. Buy it if you like but I prefer making my own.

Questions, questions, questions,

What kind of hardwood? If it's 2 cord of elm, you're paying a lot of money to get frustrated as heck splitting it.

What's the length and is it consistent? Part of the idea is to save time by not cutting to length. If you wind up cutting pieces to length so you can use them there goes a big chunk of savings.

What does a cord of seasoned or green cut, split, delivered go for in your area from a reputable seller?

Answer these three questions and you can probably make up your own mind as to the "value" of the deal.

Take Care

Yep, seller is a young dude from Mason...

And I'm not getting off the damn couch! I just sat the hell down after 6 hours of felling, bucking, limbing, and making brush piles!!..... Jerk.... :p...

Plus the two hours of removing an old garden's fence posts and a full sized steel baseball backstop.... :clap:

It is the amount he says, I've been clearing out all the dead Ash... So it would be nice to have better burning wood drying and ready for next season. I simply wanted to know if the value was a fair price.

And going rate for a face of Ash is $50, Oak/Pine $75... So it's saving about $200... And I get to split it, which is the best part anyway...

That trailer is 16'x6.6'

If anybody can get me delivery of 2 cord split, dried, oak (or similar) for $200, near Lansing MI, let me know...

It's fair but nothing to get jumpy and excited about . Seems like the going rate for a couple cords around here. If you have the money and need the wood it would be a decent purchase. I would be skeptical on volume rated at a face cord . That's a ubiquitous term that can mean about anything

Yep, seller is a young dude from Mason...

And I'm not getting off the damn couch! I just sat the hell down after 6 hours of felling, bucking, limbing, and making brush piles!!..... Jerk.... :p...

Plus the two hours of removing an old garden's fence posts and a full sized steel baseball backstop.... :clap:

It is the amount he says, I've been clearing out all the dead Ash... So it would be nice to have better burning wood drying and ready for next season. I simply wanted to know if the value was a fair price.

And going rate for a face of Ash is $50, Oak/Pine $75... So it's saving about $200... And I get to split it, which is the best part anyway...

Call Ayles and get on their list. $250 per load of logs and so far it's about 3.5 full cords per load. Yeah you gotta cut and split it, but it's a good price.
e07e31be104ff0f9b31aa53f02796326.jpg

That's 2 loads.

Sent from a field

I've been impressed. I've bought 3 loads so far. First load was almost all hard maple with some cherry. Second load was mostly silver maple with a little oak and when they called and asked if I wanted another I told them the last load they brought me was mostly soft maple so if they could make this one more hard wood I'd take it. Last load was all oak, locust and hickory.

Picture is deceiving too. That pile is about 5' tall, 10' wide and 20' long.

Sent from a field

Latest posts

Back