Is this bar ok?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egraham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have this 24 inch sugihara bar on my 372. I have thrown several chains lately so I replaced the sprocket and bought some new chains. I used it today and threw another one. Is this bar my problem?

chain is Oregon 971DD098-637A-479B-B9EB-FA5D504DE80B.jpeg3259DC21-CD5D-4F2F-B7B7-2AB747E1A884.jpeg3781EAB5-4642-4139-B73A-AFB6ED059CD3.jpeg15EB812B-4BDB-40F3-A753-C58150E530C0.jpeg3/8 .50 84 drive lengths

I have a 365 that never throws chains.

both saws have been worked over by mastermind

Yes that is your problem. Looks like you hit concrete or something with it. You need a new bar. Don’t be a cheapskate and save a few bucks by trying to fix, if you lose a limb because of it you will be upset

Thanks. I will get a new one. I never had it in concrete but have caught some barbed wire fence While using it on my farm.

Ok yeah that would do it. I had this happen on one of my pole saws where the saw dropped with the limb and hit part of a concrete patio

Thanks. I will get a new one. I never had it in concrete but have caught some barbed wire fence While using it on my farm.
That photo is the bar tail and not the tip. Chains are usually thrown when the tension is too loose and the nose hits something at an angle and throws the chain. Also check bar groove width and straightness and remove any burrs on the rail with a file or bar dressing tool. There are plenty of threads on here about proper bar maintenance.

I just fixed a 281 that kept throwing the chain. The bar tip was wrecked from bumping knots for years, there was some damage by the tail, and the chain was .050 while the bar was .063. I replaced the tip, dressed the rails, put the correct chain on it and it’s good for awhile longer. Take the bar to a saw shop near you and have them “dress” it, which means they’ll grind the rails flat. DON’T chuck that bar, a dressing is $10 or so at the shop near me and it’ll give you a few more years with that bar.

??? I see absolutely nothing abnormal. The hammering at the tail of the bar can indicate a loose chain but that's about it. Make sure the bar is square, the grove is the right gauge and the burs are removed. Does the bare have much time on it? from what I can tell it looks like it hasn't seen much use.

You guys aren’t looking close enough. There is a part of it where it bows out, which would happen from hitting concrete, a rock, or barbed wire as OP indicated

I don't see anything wrong with what I can see, but as mentioned above, it's usually the tip that goes out first in my experience... not the tail.
loose chain maybe?
99% of the time when I throw a chain, it's because it's too loose.
or I get some fat chips jammed under the DL and pop it out the groove- mostly on my higher powered saws with longer bars.

You guys aren’t looking close enough. There is a part of it where it bows out, which would happen from hitting concrete, a rock, or barbed wire as OP indicated
No, I see nothing like that. The flair at the tail end of the bar is supposed to be there.

I don't see anything wrong with what I can see, but as mentioned above, it's usually the tip that goes out first in my experience... not the tail.
loose chain maybe?
99% of the time when I throw a chain, it's because it's too loose.
or I get some fat chips jammed under the DL and pop it out the groove- mostly on my higher powered saws with longer bars.
In my experience the worst offender is small flexible branches and or brush, if you're chain isn't extra tight the little buggers will pop a chain right off, and the longer the bar the worse the problem. I also disagree with some of the more popular YouTube guys on how to set proper chain tension, which changes based on bar length.[emoji111]

That photo is the bar tail and not the tip. Chains are usually thrown when the tension is too loose and the nose hits something at an angle and throws the chain. Also check bar groove width and straightness and remove any burrs on the rail with a file or bar dressing tool. There are plenty of threads on here about proper bar maintenance.
??? I see absolutely nothing abnormal. The hammering at the tail of the bar can indicate a loose chain but that's about it. Make sure the bar is square, the grove is the right gauge and the burs are removed. Does the bare have much time on it? from what I can tell it looks like it hasn't seen much use.
These two have it sorted .

Thanks guys. I have had this saw and bar for 3 years. It started throwing chains after I cut down a big oak on my farm that had wire and other pieces of metal that had grown into the tree at different points in time.

I flip the bar every tine I change the chain.
The sprocket on the front is fine. I grease it every time i

my 365 that has the same bar never throws chains. The only difference inn the saws is the 372 has the tensioner in the clutch cover and the 365 has the tensioner in the saw body.

I have at least 15 chains for this saw. I am usually cutting dirty wood and when one even starts to act dull I change it.

I live in birmingham Alabama and there are not many good shops here that I would trust to work on my bar.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have to check the tension on this saw more than my other but it never needs a bunch of adjustment. Just a 1/4 turn or so

Back