Is this late model Craftsman any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think any later Poulan is a bad dude, I just thought it was funny how the guy with the MS170 did.

I got a PP4218av from a trash pile at another local shop. put lines a 16" bar and 91vxl on it and did a MM. I have littlerally abused that saw. free hand milled cedar fence posts with it ....really no joke just cause I didnt feel like moving the log. keeps going. gotta love what 32:1 mix can make an engine take. ms250's dont mess with my little orange reject:hmm3grin2orange:

Another Testimony

It's kind of fun watching this vintage Craftsman 42-18 buck through 16" logs that my old Stihl 010 used to choke on with it's paltry 14" bar. Give this dark green and black saw a sharp chain and it might cut through any firewood out there.

I used to crack jokes about it being a boat anchor in disguise. Now I may never give it up.

I did get around to fixing the Craftsman. Turns out the oil tank vent tube was plugged with sawdust. Cleaned it out and now the saw oils and cuts great. I also bought a standard clutch cover and tensioner for it. As with other late model Poulans I think this saw would be way better with an adjustable oiler. They have the engine power to cut some fairly big stuff with a good chain but dont deliver enough oil to do so. I have the saw listed on Ebay with a saw case for the optimistic price of $85.00.

I bought a Poulan 3816 to fix up for $20.00. This is the same saw in original Poulan colors. It runs but not very well, the compression is low. I think a new piston ring, seals and gaskets will get it running right.

Got the saw. It seems to have not been used much. Starts right up , accelerates easy. The oiler does work just not very well. The paint is worn off the bar but the chain turns easily. I think I should be able to get it going with a minimum of fuss.

I am glad you were able to find the money for the saw. I am still holding the Homelite XL here that you had me bring back from Virginia over a month ago that you claimed to have no money to buy. Given these recent circumstances I trust you will understand that I will no longer be holding the saw for you.

oh no the red is nice.....and the only saw that gets less respect than a Poulan is a Craftsman. I used to love it when guys would bad mouth the Sears saws while using their 150 Homelites. I handed one guy my Sears 4.2 (Poulan 4200) and let him use it. He carried his saw to the truck and put it away.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: I love the red.

You picking on 150 Homies, or sumpin? A few months back I picked up a very used one, with a surprisingly healthy engine, for $20.

Replaced various broken/missing bits and the usual scrub-job. Put on a so-called 20" bar with chipper chain for testing. Some of the blow-downs he was cutting had the bar buried, but he could not stall the chain. Yes, it was sharp. Not too shabby for 35+ y.o. It can still spit serious chips. I was tempted to keep it.

Light weight and large tanks a +.

Lighten up on the old Homies, eh? :msp_rolleyes:

I did get around to fixing the Craftsman. Turns out the oil tank vent tube was plugged with sawdust. Cleaned it out and now the saw oils and cuts great. I also bought a standard clutch cover and tensioner for it. As with other late model Poulans I think this saw would be way better with an adjustable oiler. They have the engine power to cut some fairly big stuff with a good chain but don't deliver enough oil to do so. I have the saw listed on Ebay with a saw case for the optimistic price of $85.00.

I bought a Poulan 3816 to fix up for $20.00. This is the same saw in original Poulan colors. It runs but not very well, the compression is low. I think a new piston ring, seals and gaskets will get it running right.
Good post. The Craftsman 42 18 that I ran today, cutting large oak limbs performed flawlessly. The oil flow is adjusted just right. I'll check to see if that can be changed. I have a feeling it can be.

No, it is not a logging saw, except maybe for beaver tails. Yes, it is a great limbing and small bucking saw. I doubt I will ever be able to kill it. When it dies, I promise to inform the Forum. In the mean time, I will saddle it up with my MS 361 when I head for the woods.

Guido Salvage- I bought the Craftsman a few months ago, before I contacted you about the Homelite. It cost me nothing to fix. I put it on Ebay hoping someone would buy it from me so that I could then purchase the Homelite from you.

Latest posts

Back