Is this right? Vintage saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mking7

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought a Mongtomery Ward's WD-65 that was 'as new' never been started.

After unpacking what came in the mail I have a question or two. I am worried that it may not be what I thought it was.

It came with old chain in the box, a manual, etc.

The saw itself is nice but almost too nice. It may be a 'survivor' but maybe not. Does anyone know how they painted these old saws? Meaning it's the gold color saw and they painted EVERYTHING. The hoses are solid gold (not in the good expensive way...), the air cleaner is gold, the on/off switch is gold (not the toggle itself but the plate that says off/on). Not sure what the metal mesh piece that turns when you pull the rope is called but it's solid gold, all the bolt heads are gold, the bucking spikes are gold.....

Tell me the bad news but if you are guessing based on what you would expect, please note that and if you know something about the saws from that era, let me know that too.

So I bought a Mongtomery Ward's WD-65 that was 'as new' never been started.

After unpacking what came in the mail I have a question or two. I am worried that it may not be what I thought it was.

It came with old chain in the box, a manual, etc.

The saw itself is nice but almost too nice. It may be a 'survivor' but maybe not. Does anyone know how they painted these old saws? Meaning it's the gold color saw and they painted EVERYTHING. The hoses are solid gold (not in the good expensive way...), the air cleaner is gold, the on/off switch is gold (not the toggle itself but the plate that says off/on). Not sure what the metal mesh piece that turns when you pull the rope is called but it's solid gold, all the bolt heads are gold, the bucking spikes are gold.....

Tell me the bad news but if you are guessing based on what you would expect, please note that and if you know something about the saws from that era, let me know that too.

That doesn't sound good. Got a picture? Acres collectors site doesn't even list a WD 65, it list a WD 60 and a 66. I'm not saying that there was not a 65. Pull the exhaust and check for any wear or carbon deposits to see if it has been ran, or pull any cover that is on it and check for crud. It sounds like someone just painted it gold and sold it for a NOS saw.

That doesn't sound good. Got a picture? Acres collectors site doesn't even list a WD 65, it list a WD 60 and a 66. I'm not saying that there was not a 65. Pull the exhaust and check for any wear or carbon deposits to see if it has been ran, or pull any cover that is on it and check for crud. It sounds like someone just painted it gold and sold it for a NOS saw.

+1

Sounds like a fraud to me.

Ya, I know pics would help and I'll get some up but can't right now so was just looking for input. Thanks guys, keep it coming. I realize Acres doesn't show it but I have what appears to be a vintage manual for it so I tend to think they made one, just not sure this one is what I thought it was when I bought it.

mking7, when did you get this? Thought I saw one on ebay a while back that looked very authentic.

I bought in like December I think....not on eBay though.

IF it isn't authentic the guy that sold it may not be to blame so I don't want to give a bunch of details. He may have been misled. Or maybe it's real, just started to question it after I started looking at it. But that may be my ignorance....

I bought in like December I think....not on eBay though.

IF it isn't authentic the guy that sold it may not be to blame so I don't want to give a bunch of details. He may have been misled. Or maybe it's real, just started to question it after I started looking at it. But that may be my ignorance....

Ya I agree, and some of those 50's-60's saws had some pretty funky paint jobs, even some of the older ones got the full paint treament, we await further input, sure like to have a look-see at the ol' beast!
Sounds cool though thus far, as someone said, pull the muffler and have a peek, or even TDC the piston and have a look through the plug hole, if it hasn't been run it will/should be obvious I think, could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time either :D

:cheers:

Serge

I wasn't misled and neither were you. See why I never started it, I wanted to.

I sold it for two reasons, first, the only place I had to store it was an unheated shed in Michigan. Concerns about frost, condensation, humidity, yata yata.
Second the saw is too nice to use, it actually should have been donated to the local logging museum.
I feel like a heel for selling a birthday gift from a lifelong friend who knows I'm a chainsaw nut but I needed the cash to help pay for a milling rig.
She's the real deal. If you think you got boned send 'er back, you'll get your money back. If you're thinking you can't belive you got a saw like that for for that price just pay me again and again and again until you feel good. Fair enough ?
I know you weren't planing on starting 'er without a video camera, eh.
Oh, on page three of the safety manual it says you must keep your good ear no farther than 6 inches from the megaphone, I mean muffler, to listen for unusual sounds.

I have to admit, I'm sure my Mono 60 hasn't been repainted and everthing including the spark plug has red paint on it including the gas lines.

I suspect that is an original.

P.S. It looks like Mono produced that saw for Montgomery Wards. Look at the MONO 60 series on Acresinternet.

Last edited:
That saw looks cherry man! Do a happy dance! I have a gut feeling you have a real quality piece there, especially after seeing the pics, to my untrained eyes that does not look like a re-paint, just really, really nice! Regard the condition of the bolt and screw heads too fwiw, and the lack of 'old paint' lines etc. etc.

Serge

Last edited:
I have no doubt the saw is original, check the chips in the paint, save image as then zoom in, you'll see three colors. The metal, the gray primer, and the gold color coat.
The saw was purchased at a Montgomery Wards "Dock sale" in 1963 by my friends father-in-law and stashed in his garage at his summer cabin where it sat for twenty some odd years before his son-in-law assembled it, filled it with mix and bar oil, and tried to start it.
"It wouldn't start, so I put it back where I found it." He never opened the fuel petcock on the bottom of the fuel tank, check the paint on the petcock. I may have a picture, I'll post it if I find it.

When I emptied the fuel and bar oil tanks prior to shipping both fluids appeared to have the same thickness and there was the distinct odor of varnish. The good news here is the fuel tank was still wet and not dried out and full of flakes. I think a couple of Seafoam douches and some patience will pay off.

The chain was stored in a two pound coffee can and submerged in bar oil, explains the half bottle of original M/W bar oil.

I regret two things, first one is I sold it, second I should have started it.

I hope I've helped here, and I hope you don't mind me posting pictures of your saw. I won't put up any more I'll wait for the video.

Woodtick45 thanks for the pics, its eye candy ta me and I can see why you're suffering post-partum. By the muffler it does look like it coughed a bit or maybe actually started and ran fer a sec or two (maybe at the dealers half a century ago, who knows *shrug*). From all the saw googlin' I've done to satisfy my insatiable curiosity and seeing some of the fine saws in different collections this one is right up there in the heap of neat. Sad thing, but I'd probably run the beast, and probably feel a bit guilty too 'cause it should be in a museum. (edit) a word I was looking for was 'providence', it has it.

:chainsaw: grrrrrrrrrrrr*big ol' saw*grrrrrrrrrrrr :chainsaw:

Serge

Last edited:
If the saw was made by another company for Wards (which is likely), it may have been painted after the fact. If they made it for more than one company it could have been painted in several different colors, and probably after a lot of assembly. This may explain why some unusual parts are painted.

ward 65

hey i fell i can help if you want to sell,i,ll take it and add to my collection:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back