Is this safe to climb on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is the new bridge I put on my Butterfly. I am not sure what the knot is, I freestyled it. I have climbed on it once already and it held fine. I think it might be just a square knot. I taped the tails back so the knot is low profile and the bridge has plenty of room to float on. Not sure of the safety factor, but it has worked in 3 trees already. Let me know what you all think.
DSCN1744.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

DSCN1743.jpg

Looks good. Did you locktite the clevis pins? They look like the weakest link in your setup and merit the most concern. I think that if you regularly inspect your setup like the rest of your gear you should be fine. The next step would be to splice eyes in both ends of your bridge to connect to the pins.

i would not trust my life to a knot i made up, what if you fall and shock load your climbing line and the knot fails?

nailsbeats have you tried a prusik with triple fisherman it may be safer if you shock load your system you can also have room for different adjustment for distance and height on your rig.

I wouldn't use that, it can come loose. Looks like a figure 8, or just an overhand knot. Use a termination knot like a double fishermans or something.

I wouldn't use that knot.

Try a Buntline, Anchor hitch or a Double Fisherman's loop (one half of a Double Fisherman tied around the standing end).

All of these are in your Tree Climber's Companion. :cheers:

I built a bridge for my Master Deluxe, used the same BFII clevis that you did I used little smaller cord(3/8" ultra tech smaller and stronger) which made for a smaller knot and then used a Double fisherman. Worked great and the smaller cord kept the weight down and made for a smaller knot. I trust the double fisherman's knot very much I use that for a termination knot of my climbing line every time. Easy to tie and never come un done it is also a very small knot. Just my opinion.

Jared

Last edited:
The pins had locktight on them which I will redo when I figure this out. Shock load is what I am concerned about. I was gonna name this the Nailsknot, turns out it may be an overhand knot? I think the buntline is what I might want. I will cut a new bridge and give it a try. The dog can have this bridge and this guy :spam:.

Last edited:
I built a bridge for my Master Deluxe, used the same BFII clevis that you did I used little smaller cord(3/8" ultra tech smaller and stronger) which made for a smaller knot and then used a Double fisherman. Worked great and the smaller cord kept the weight down and made for a smaller knot. I trust the double fisherman's knot very much I use that for a termination knot of my climbing line every time. Easy to tie and never come un done it is also a very small knot. Just my opinion.

Jared

I will definitely look into the 3/8 line. That's gotta be the ticket. Thank you.

hey bud. me again.

your knot looks to be an 8 onto your clevis's. ummm i wouldnt.

you might want to go with a couple double fishermans instead. or even a scaffold knot (triple fisherman). i have alot of faith in the fisherman knots. feel free to use em. everyone is doing it!

i use the 8 to terminate the end of my line so it doesnt slip through my hitch not to hang on it. lol

stay safe man.

Ultra tech is expensive mind you 1.29 for 1' of 5/16" or 1.63 for 1' of 3/8" both are super strong and hold their shape perfectly. I also don't use a ring I just use what ever biner I tie into with the Arm'd one's or the OX ones work the best as far as staying loaded correctly.
Jared

nothing wrong with using some extra climbing line too as your bridge. then you wont need to buy extra ropes. i got 1/2in trueblue as my bridge. just a couple feet of the end of your climbing line.

Nails, Have you thought about using an eye to eye for a bridge.
It'd be the cleanest , most streamlined and strongest bridge possible.
It would be pricey , but worth it.

What's the length of the bridge you are using ?

Re what knot

Hi, If you pull the clevis out of the knot it is easy to see it is a figure of 8 knot. I would not trust the knot. Shock loads could start it to roll toward the bitter end and the knot would roll off the end of the rope. I would, as others have already suggested, use a double fishermans knot, or a double figure of 8. The double figure of 8, I understand, is the knot that looses the least strength- the strongest knot. In both of these knots the bitter end comes out along side the working end. I tend to whip these together. I quick glance at the whip will tell you if there has been any slippage--mostly though it looks nicer. A bowline would work but I have understood a bowline can roll down a rope under shock loads and you should always tie a stopper knot in the end- a figure of 8 or a fishermans knot.

Figure Eights?

Nope...

As Frodo said earlier, those are simply overhand knots. To be figure eights, there would need to be a wrap taken around the standing end of the line prior to going through the loop.

I like the idea of the loop-to-loop, but I've only seen them in lengths too long for bridge use.

Latest posts

Back