Is this safe to climb on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, they look like overhand knots to me, I wouldn't trust them. Even though I don't use a bridge ( like to just clove hitch my D rings together every time ) if I did I would probably just use a Bowline but only because I know it. I've never used a fisherman but I will now look into it. Next stop, google.

just in case one more opinion is what it is going to take to get you to NOT climb on the overhand knots, here it is. I use bundt line hitches on all my terminations. i've used it for years and never had a problem. good luck!

Nope...

As Frodo said earlier, those are simply overhand knots. To be figure eights, there would need to be a wrap taken around the standing end of the line prior to going through the loop.

I like the idea of the loop-to-loop, but I've only seen them in lengths too long for bridge use.

Most eye to eyes come in 28 in. lengths, or you could double it and secure both ends on one clevis. Though that would probably be too long or short.

But, sherrrilltree will splice any cord you buy from them to any length.
You just draw out what you want with measurements and fax or email it to them.

Also , what about ordering a B2 replacement bridge from sherrilltree.
they come in 2 sizes (9.84 in. and 11.81 in.) for 23.00

Or you could order a replacement bridge for one of the new Sequoia's from Petzl.

I'm a big fan of the knot less termination. For the lack of bulk and the increased strength. If you decide to go with a splice , you have a lot of options. :cheers:

Re Knot

Weelll. Hmmm. I tied the knot as I looked at it in the pictures, pulled out the rod I used in place of the clevis pin and I had a figure of eight. I tried it again and same same. Then I tied an overhand knot and tried to make it look the same as the upper picture, and I can do that too. Without seeing the backside I can make the front look the same with either. But....we diverge...all agree the knot shown is not safe to climb with. And there are a number of real good, safe, options to use that all agree are safe to climb with which many of us have come back with.
eljefe

Or you could order a replacement bridge for one of the new Sequoia's from Petzl.

I'm a big fan of the knot less termination. For the lack of bulk and the increased strength. If you decide to go with a splice , you have a lot of options. :cheers:

X2 more streamilined, lighter and safer.....

Most eye to eyes come in 28 in. lengths, or you could double it and secure both ends on one clevis. Though that would probably be too long or short.

Is the replacement bridge the same as the stock bridge? I took off the stock one not because of wear, but because it looked so weak and many people on here said to get rid of it. Will the replacement be stronger? I looked on Sherill, but they didn't have a picture. My custom bridge is the same length as the stock Butterfly bridge, I will have to go home to get the measurement.

Last edited:
yah i hear you about that bridge. it was the only thing i would look at when i was hang'n off the ball. i hate that bridge, just doesnt look all that appealing when your hanging all you got on it.

"double figure of 8"

it has a nice ring to it. just rolls off the tongue.

The pins had locktight on them which I will redo when I figure this out. Shock load is what I am concerned about. I was gonna name this the Nailsknot, turns out it may be an overhand knot? I think the buntline is what I might want. I will cut a new bridge and give it a try. The dog can have this bridge and this guy :spam:.

i thought of useing old strands of rope for the dog to chew on... then i thought what if that little turd devlops a taste for fine rope and chews a big hunk out of some of my gear. hes just gonna have to stick to rawhide

The problem with that rope is that the bury would not be long enough for an eye & eye splice to be to spec.

Maybe a Tenex double end eye splices.

I would use a fishermans on each end, 2-3 turns. I have some 3/8 inch stablebraid that would work good if you want some, you pay for shipping, or come down and get it.

It looks like you have an overhand knot there, which is a single turn fishemans knot, one could say after reading Mahk Adams article a month or so ago. The creep too much to be safe.

The bridge can be spliced out of tenex then covered with a jacket and whipped into place, they sell them for the treeflex I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well for the bfly.

I use 1/2'' with double fishermans on each end, but not around the clevis. It's just too damn big to pull through.

oh and to answer your question NO

Why would'nt you just purchase the corect saddle for what you are trying to achive in the first place?? What is all this need to "personalize" your saddle beyond safety? Think it makes you a pro ? I would just go with a buckingham versatile and maybe a HDP roller if it were my plan to impress- I wouldnt bother trying to create things that don't exist for no reason, JMHO. Personally I still use a dinousaur saddle with no leg straps, and a few all important modern add-ons.:dizzy:

are we all the same? there is no need for change??

if everyone agreed with the brilliant statement that I quoted above we'd all be climbing on manilla rope in bowlin'on bightes.........

I'm sorry, I meant to say "why bother trying to re-invent things that allready exist at the risk of our own peril" ?

Back