Is work picking up for you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkfin12us

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in northern New jersey tree work has not picked up much due to gas prices and cool weather along with rain.Looks like most of spring has passed.What is happening with other states input appreciated.

Ever since the 100 Km. winds came through here about 3 weeks ago, its been crazy. I've got at least 3 weeks of work booked already and the phone is stihl ringing.

I'm doing more work than I was last year at this time but I paid a pretty price for my spring advertising in order to get it. Not too much on the books moving forward though.

Suck ass here. Seemed like the phone was finally starting to ring nice again... till this whole week of rain we've been getting started, that is.

Probably one of the worst springs I've ever had. I'm thinking it's gonna pick up again soon though. I'll probably be too busy to bother you guys before I know it! lol.

The rain factor has been a killer, but it has picked up some. I got my first google customer yesterday. That was fun, she was referred to my neighboring competition, but googled to see what else was around and I nailed it. Easy money.

I'm booked out for next weekend and during some weekends in June, but I have a few gaps yet to fill, which is nice to be able to squeeze in some smaller gigs like yesterday. I still have projects in the shop, so slow days and rain days are well spent though I managed to sneak off to Wrigleyville last Thursday for the cards series only to find myself in a slight state of recovery for a couple daze.

It's good to be da boss. :cheers:

Here in northern New jersey tree work has not picked up much due to gas prices and cool weather along with rain.Looks like most of spring has passed.What is happening with other states input appreciated.

Makes me think about what factors contribute to a successful buisness. Im coming to the end of the road as a employee, so this has been on my mind alot lately. The outfit I work for is 95 percent residential work, with a four man crew. We run a chip truck and chipper only no other heavy equipment.. The only month we have not worked five days a week is december and that was 3 or 4 days of the week. Our man hour pricing is higher then any other I have seen posted so far on this site.
I think first and foremost, location is the number one factor for success. Some regions for whatever the reason, economy,education,population always seem to have problems.
From what I have gathered A good website, lots of positive reviews on the net, reliability(showing up rain or shine) educated employees, customer service ,new equipment and a clean crew is the difference.
Most of the outfits I have talked to that are having trouble are lacking in each of the above mentioned categories.

Last edited:
A slow-down is always possible, but it's coming in the past few weeks almost too abundantly.

No complaints though.

Combination of referrals and repeats. And Google seemed to do another change on local search results that has helped position my website better again.

A slow-down is always possible, but it's coming in the past few weeks almost too abundantly.

No complaints though.

Combination of referrals and repeats. And Google seemed to do another change on local search results that has helped position my website better again.

Referrals and repeats are where it's at. I was slightly amused with a Google result, but she was local and very satisfied. Originally from just north of me, she has alot of friends and family, so I expect to hear from them as a result.

There is a solid local buzz with a series of local radio commercials, yellowpage ads, and even a new digital sign spot in front of the radio station downtown.

However, word of mouth prevails and it always will.

My local competitions have all the toys, but each one is currently looking for someone dumb enough to work for them. Not to mention, their prices are sometimes outrageous and their people skills leave way too much to be desired from what I've experienced and heard about.

What's at the heart of a successful tree service is the knowledge of trees, knowledge of fundamental logistics, and most importantly...the knowledge of people.

If you have that, you can make it anytime, anyplace. Without that, it won't make a bit of difference what you have.

[My local competitions have all the toys, but each one is currently looking for someone dumb enough to work for them. Not to mention, their prices are sometimes outrageous and their people skills leave way too much to be desired from what I've experienced and heard about.

What's at the heart of a successful tree service is the knowledge of trees, knowledge of fundamental logistics, and most importantly...the knowledge of people.

If you have that, you can make it anytime, anyplace. Without that, it won't make a bit of difference what you have.[/QUOTE]

How do you think they got the toys bigus. You think there business was built on uneducated hacks, with poor work ethics, low prices and bad customer service.
The fact is bigus, you have outdated equipment, homeowner saws and prefer to drink microbrews while watching the rain fall curled up on the couch. I'm getting tired of internet battles but i'm even sicker of weekend warriors looking down on harworking arborists.

Last edited:
Funny, sad, but funny. As usual, you're half right, and have gone off halfcocked, but that's typical from what we've seen thus far.

What homeowner saws? My trusty 180's? LOL! Jealous? One was a trainer for my boy, the other is a gift from a world class client. Believe me, it's stihl a stihl...lol.

The rest of my PRO saws flat rock, and have for years now, shows us all what you know, or rather more so, don't know, but that's a daily occurrence here.

As far as the rest of my equipment goes, this is the second time you've taken a piss ant's pot shot at what I got. Good for you.

Too much of the time, fancy equipment belongs to the bank, someone’s daddy, or what was purchased with family money handed down. (which none of these are always bad by themselves per se) Some don't even know what to do with it all. The guys that got it honest, my hats off to them, and theirs are to me, because I am where they were.

I personally like my setup, it is by choice. It looks good...and more so runs good by my own hand. Simple equipment = less to go wrong, easier, cheaper, and quicker to fix when it does. I'm a ol farm boy, shop class started at what?...3..4..maybe 5. While I'm paying myself to fix my own gear, most are taking it to the dealer to get screwed.

For your limited information, I work all week long, often have more in my pocket on Monday than someone's Beatrice sees in a week and then hit it hard for bonus round when the time is prime on the weekends, but I have been known of late to make my way to a Cubs game midweek. I am sorry for that...umm...not really.

But you're almost right about one thing. I have a tendency to enjoy a quality brew when it's raining, sometimes from the confines of the office, but mostly in the shop where happiness reigns on "old" equipment being cared for....but you go get em tiger.

What I posted is fundamental, there are no "internet battles" save what exists in the insecurities of your own mind...I wasn't even talking to you as you've proven yourself of no real consequence here.

But I will share one small matter for your time and efforts, however inept; I have a small family owned and operated tree care service. Besides myself, who is ultimately not the focus...merely the founder, I have an outstanding wife whose marketing and people skills know no known bounds. Not to mention the way she cares for us, which is indeed a thread in itself. I have a son with more ethic, knowledge, and physical potential than a vast majority, and three very beautiful, athletic and intelligent daughters that are immensely interested in the industry at large. (look out boys, they may not keep their last names in this biz, but it will not go unnoticed if they have something to say about it.)

Even I may never realize the potential of what I’ve created here, but you are all too certain to never get to this point with your current attitude and approach.

What is beautiful to realize and experience in the meantime, is to watch it grow, to get to know the people that help make it happen, to cater to them when and where possible, to serve them.

But nevertheless, good luck to you, young man, may you no longer be someone else’s beast of burden. Have your nuclear internet site and fancy equipment, if you need it, but if you do not concern yourself with the tenants of my original post, that which has seemed to send you to such a task as your display here, you will be nothing more than hacks' fodder. They will eat you alive and no one will hear your screams.

it sucks big time here with all the fly by night druggies with a saw.the phone has been ringing and then when i go out and give a price i never hear anything else.but i did have a few customers call and tell me that they found someone to do a lot cheaper then i what i price the job at.but i got a job to marrow to go look at and give a price on.the guy that had it before i got to call took money up front and trimmed the tree and then walked off when it suppose to cut all the way down.but he just done a small amount of it and took all the money.but I'm going tomorrow and see what all i have to have to do the job.and get the tree on the ground easy and safely.

Slammed here, cant keep up, weather keeps changing my plans. Just about ready to bring in another climber. Haven't been able to do many bids this week, which suck's, as the phone is going crazy. We
are easily out 4/5 weeks right now and still adding.
Have been out with the crew all week, working from 7 to 7, absolutely freaking worn out at the end of the day.

Slammed here, cant keep up, weather keeps changing my plans. Just about ready to bring in another climber. Haven't been able to do many bids this week, which suck's, as the phone is going crazy. We
are easily out 4/5 weeks right now and still adding.
Have been out with the crew all week, working from 7 to 7, absolutely freaking worn out at the end of the day.

i wished i was up there with you so i could help you out.i just wish it would pick up here.

The rain and cold ruined March and April. In the last 2-3 weeks weve been slammed hard and there is no letting up. Ive been trying to get out the door by 530 and havent been fininshing till dark some days. Im hoping its not spring fever, and it lasts for a bit. Havent been this busy since 07. 3 weeks out right now, and at least 15 calls a day. Realy need to hire another guy, but ......

Got plenty of work , but I am tired and working hard sucks , I can't decide whether being broke watching the grass grow is better than having a few bucks and dead tired , makes me think of the old saying "watch what you wish for "

Got plenty of work , but I am tired and working hard sucks , I can't decide whether being broke watching the grass grow is better than having a few bucks and dead tired , makes me think of the old saying "watch what you wish for "

Seriously? ..... What are you, the robot from that Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxcy movie? Grow a pair donut boy.---Oh wait, even better, would you rather be working, or spending? Im starting to understand Oldirtys opinion of you.

Last edited:
well i got a call today and i got to go tomorrow and take a look and i'll take the camera along with me and take pictures of it.but i to price it and everything.but he told me that if i need a bigger chainsaw that he will go out and rent a chainsaw with a 6 foot bar and chain on it.for me to cut it down to the ground and then pay me what every i price it at.

No doubt, sometimes I wonder about getting on at the welfare office!
Seems those guys have it figured out, we work so they don't have to!

Back