Is your stove keeping up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even feeding it every couple of hours (dry hardwood), house temp is shy of 70F.
Wife is annoyed.
Can't fault the stove or the wood.

Yup. Same here (on all accounts). Our little insert (i2400) does well until we dip in to low-teens/single digits.
Scoping out (wishing for) a Caddy add-on.

It's times like this I wish I had a second stove, heating 3200sq ft is tough to do when it's this cold and windy, so yea the furnace has kicked on more than I would like it to, actually the most in the six years we've been heating with wood.

This old girl does a pretty decent job of heating my 100+ year old farm house. On a really cold night the oil fired boiler kicks on once, sometimes. It ain't new and it isn't as efficient as others, but we can cook all our meals on it and do all our baking in it. Bacon,eggs from the coop,home fries from the garden and homemade biscuits make it all worth the effort, to me. View attachment 329765

THAT is a beauty!

I have a Glenwood w/2 gas burners I want to restore.

We made toast right on the top when I was a kid

Custom cut/noodle single blocks of your best quality wood, of a size that with just one, you can tstuff it in before you leave. That will burn the longest and throw usable heat.

In the morning, try to get your house temp up ten degrees higher doing whatever it takes. Then put that big one in right before you go. Maybe that combo will be enough to keep the oil furnace from coming on.

Besides that, I don't know. No one has come up with the autofeed home wood stove yet, anything that would load more regular splits.

The ol' US Stove has been keeping pace... as long as one of us is up and about to feed it. It doesn't have a long burn time - firebox really isn't big enough for overnight load but she's been keeping us comfy warm. We have to load splits every hour or so.

With these unusually cold temps we've been burning two splits at a time to keep the Den warm. I've got a decent stash of oak kept in reserve just for this kind of weather. During normal weather the red maple and gum are used. Maple works OK in this cold but the oak is better. The gum's gonna wait 'til it warms up again.

I am like totally and entirely JEALOUS of your cook stove.:(
Been to a few sales where one like that was sold but $$$$$ WOW! They also sell them new at Lehman's but they are even more $$$$

As late as the 70s those could be gotten at scrap prices. Thousands got sledge hammered for pennies a lb. I paid 20 bucks for mine, only because it was dual electric/wood.

The ol' US Stove has been keeping pace... as long as one of us is up and about to feed it. It doesn't have a long burn time - firebox really isn't big enough for overnight load but she's been keeping us comfy warm. We have to load splits every hour or so.

With these unusually cold temps we've been burning two splits at a time to keep the Den warm. I've got a decent stash of oak kept in reserve just for this kind of weather. During normal weather the red maple and gum are used. Maple works OK in this cold but the oak is better. The gum's gonna wait 'til it warms up again.
Yeah, I've been burning ash, white and red oak. Got some big square white oak blocks noodled out of crotches and knots that I've been using for overnight wood on these cold nights. I add a couple of ash splits in with them to keep it hot.

I'm doing excellent this year now that the house is finished and I'm not having to heat the shop too. Spray foam insulation is incredible.

I burn 50% more wood too. I have red oak chunks set aside for when it gets ridiculously cold too help lengthen feeding times.

As late as the 70s those could be gotten at scrap prices. Thousands got sledge hammered for pennies a lb. I paid 20 bucks for mine, only because it was dual electric/wood.

$7400.00 at Lehman :eek:
109.jpg

My little Morso Squirrel is coping nicely, I even let it burn out early this am. (Taking a time-out)
Days like these, I feed it even smaller batches than otherwise, more often, with a tad more air- keeps it from "choking" on coals. Overall, probably using 1/4 more wood than "normal"- not a problem with so much in inventory. Related project is getting various stacks tidied-up.
Some white oak is now primo-ready, some of that is near the stove. About a month's worth there, total.
If I feel the need for a wee jolt of heat in a room, an Aladdin mantle lamp kicks in 3200 B/h, for shower-sauna.
Did I mention how much I enjoy seeing the gas-disposal-unit collect cobwebs? Gotta get out some and cut, for kicks. :chop:

109.jpg
You guys are killing me - that is my dream. I just have to tear off and addition and build a new one, and then find the money for one of those. I've been trying to find the time and funds for that project for several years now. I want the water heater too.

109.jpg
Dang the price has gone up!!! We have one of those and a Waterford Stanley. Both bought new in 1990. The Sweet Heart gets used daily in the winter for cooking and heating the 'Cook House'. Separate structure, not our main house. The Stanley is better for cooking when heat in the room isn't needed.

Couldn't be happier about free heat this winter!

Where can I signup for free heat?

Englander 30, heating 1700sqft, not keeping up. If we let it do 8hr cycles, mid 40's to low 50's in the house. If we burn it hot and constantly stuff fresh logs in, then I can get into the 60's. We are constantly dumping coals since 200-300F heat is doing nothing at these temps.

Forgot to mention, plenty of wood.

Where can I signup for free heat?

Englander 30, heating 1700sqft, not keeping up. If we let it do 8hr cycles, mid 40's to low 50's in the house. If we burn it hot and constantly stuff fresh logs in, then I can get into the 60's. We are constantly dumping coals since 200-300F heat is doing nothing at these temps.

Forgot to mention, plenty of wood.
Ouch. Where is Mitten Land?

My 34 year old Jack add on furnace is keeping up fine. Wood is going fast though, good thing I have plenty. On these below zero nights I load it to the gills before bed, still have coals and 70 degrees in the house 8 hours later.
28 days so far with below zero temps this winter. The oil furnace has not been run. Nor will it be run.

Back