ISA or TCIA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Barcaskey said:
you just remove the lead to "prolong the life of the tree and delay that final day" you are definetly not working in the homeowners best interest
Isn't that the tree owner's decision? Fully disclose all alternatives and let them pick. If you try to steer them toward removal based on your perception of their economic and other values, you may find that they have values you'll never understand. You may also lose credibility with them by showing bias.

I don't know which seminar you heard that from; many different presenters at ISA sessions have different backgrounds :p and will present them differently. Arborists facilitate the coexistence of trees and people; to me this does not mean removal is the first resort. Read http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mature_care.asp
For an arborist, removal seems to be the last option.

"Peer-reviewed" does not mean there is no disagreement among individual presenters, that I can personally promise you. Besides, nO one strategy fits every tree situation, that's what makes it so much fun!

Well stated. I kind of enjoy this - everything I say is from an ISA presenter. :p

Clearly I'm speaking from a standpoint of money not being an option and the ideal goal here (at our company at least) is to create and maintain beauty. If the tree is undesirable from an aesthetic perspective, it's coming down like it or not. Of course trees are valued for their beauty and the fact that people call, asking us to save their tree, is a testimony to that. Plus sentimental and utilitarian values, as well.

Nickrosis said:
utilitarian values, as well.
THese are first and foremost; what values the tree contributes to the property. Benefit/cost, Asset/liability.

Nick I get just ten minutes in Nashville, a demotion of sorts, a relegation really. :cry:
But it's all good.

I'm trying to stay mad about your correcting of my grammar, but I'm never very good at grudges. Ask Netree.

It may be utilitarian values first for you. It may be sentimental values first for the next person. It's somewhat of a revolving topic and even tree-specific. If we can help the customer make a decision based on their values, we're doing our job.

John-Paul I liked your response to isa and tcia short and sweet
jmzack husky 335 sthil 200t, 026 jonnie red 2083,2065,2150,490,husky 385,372,poulan 505 . :blob5:

There are ways that TCIA can help out businesses, especially young, new ones. Since most people who start doing treework are better arborists that business operators they know little about how to run a successful company. TCIA has support for business and regulatory issues. Being a member gives you access to lots of great tools.

Think of membership in professional organizations like buying a new tool. How much work will it do? How much better will my company be if we bought the tool? If we have the tool can we be better prepared to take on new jobs that are more profitable?

The support from TCIA after an OSHA inspection could make the membership fees seem like a real bargain.

Tom Dunlap said:
Since most people who start doing treework are better arborists that business operators they know little about how to run a successful company. .
Tom I have no quarrel with your primary point in that last post but the sentence quoted is debatable. My observation is that most who start out are terrible both as arborists and businessmen but a higher percentage seem to understand the rudiments of business than understand tree care.FWIW, My thinking parrallels JPS'. I think TCIA prices themselves out of many small operations' membership. ISA is my choice. ISA offers a lot of info for the consumer-info that supports professional tree care. TCIA's emphasis IS on business concerns. Much of TCIA magazine and their org. in general is focused on employer and regulatory issues.-That isn't a bad thing but it doesn't fit with MY interests as much as ISA's focus on biology.

I realize this thread is ten years old, but the debate is pretty much the same. ISA is well-worth the membership fee just in savings alone: CA renewal, books, conferences, etc...

I came across this thread while researching TCIA myself. The initial year is a bargain; subsequent years could get costly.

I am still trying to figure out the benefit of being a TCIA member. I have exchanged emails with them and talked to several very nice people on the phone. Members get discounts on education materials and some help with tree-business issues like OSHA violations. Plus, your business gets listed on their website. Oh, and new members get a pile of ANSI Standards (which I already have) and a few other goodies. For $500 to $1,000 per year, that does not seem like much. I have not ruled it out, and I am not trying to talk anyone out of joining. It seems like a great organization. I am just trying to figure out the true benefits of joining.

Back