Isn't Sthil the best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I'm new to this site(new to computers, for that matter), and I see most of you seem to prefer Huskies over Sthil-am I correct? Its allways seemed to me that Sthil was the best you could buy, and Huskies were 2nd best. I was weaned on crappy Poulans, and McCullouhs, and when I grabbed onto Sthils, I never looked. Am I missing out on using a better product? Does Huskie make as good a saw as a MS 200T? Enlighten me, please!:confused: :D

Masterblaster,
You will definitley get some input with this thread. Both saws are top of the line you cant go wrong either way. I am personally a husky man at the moment but I was raised on stihl so I have the upmost respect for both saws. Buy yourself a husky and see what you think............Wade

Both Stihl and Husky are good saws or so I have been told. I have not owned a Husky but I have heard they are good saws.

It will generally boil down to a particular dealer in your area and your personal preferences.

It is interesting that you inquire at the small end of the size spectrum. That puts a different group of competitors at odds than what is mainstream on this forum.

This throws in the Echos, the Efco/John Deeres and the Shindaiwas. But of the two brands you inquired about, I would lean toward the Husky and upcoming Jonsered equal.

It is not so much that there is a big difference in performance, but it is that most places you pay top dollar in the front for the Stihl, and top dollar in the back for the parts and service. And believe me they require as much service as any brand out there.

Echo is probably your best reliability.

All I own are Huskys. I have never owned or run a Stihl. Huskys are the best. I know from experience.

some stihls a pretty darn good . some other makes ,also pretty darn good. im a believer that its knowing your saw and knowing how to get the max out of it that makes for favorite saws. mine 028 stihl. but i never used a saw that was any better in the short time i used it than dans 372.if i had had the money to make a respectable offer . it mite be mine now.

As a every-day climber, top handled chain saws were what I was referring to. In that light, doesn't my perfectly-balanced, plenty of power Sthil role?:confused:

If that's the case then there was no need in asking the question. I would have to have a try at all the top handle saws before I was certain one was better than the other..............Wade

Yea, I guess I could go out and try(buy) all of the top-handled saws that are out there. I just thought it would be easier(cheaper) to ask others about their experiences, and opinions.:D

I have always had a love for chainsaws just like everyone else on this site. I have tried almost every make and size available at some point in time. The only saw I am npot familar with is a jonsered and I just ordered a 2186 off Mr. Dennis Greffard. I am really excited about getting it. I am having him work some of his magic on it so when I get it will get up and kick that ass!! When you get all the good out of that stihl you will have to go out and give something new a try and if you don't like it clean it up and put it on e-bay and go after something else take care............Wade

Now that we have it narrowed it down to top handled saws----Yeah the ms200T is top of the heap. Lots of climbers love it-I don't. It costs the most and does have the most raw power unmodified BUT some of the cheaper saws (like Echo and Solo and Stihl's 191T) are ergonomically superior (to my hands) and do what I need them to in the treetops.
When we talk about medium and large saws Stihl products are excellent-so are Husqvarna and Dolmar and Olympyk and Echo and Shindaiwa and..... get my drift?

Yeah, Stumper-thats what I thought. I was just curious if I was missing out, or something. Allways ready to learn 'sumtin new!

Originally posted by porkuface
All I own are Huskys. I have never owned or run a Stihl. Huskys are the best. I know from experience.

How can one know from experience when you have never owned or run a Stihl? Understand that I am trying to make sence of this comment, not to ruffle any feathers!

That one sounded 'tongue in cheek' to me.Of course there ARE people who reason that way-"don't confuse ME with facts my mind is made up".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by porkuface
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Rich
How can one know from experience when you have never owned or run a Stihl? Understand that I am trying to make sence of this comment, not to ruffle any feathers!

Rich, you must always consider the source. The pathetic sod can't afford anything better and must apply himself with the assets most readily available. Sometimes it helps a mind to reinforce itself with a targeted thought when it truly suffers from some self inflicted debauchery. A sort of brainwashing if you will to compensate for some malaise only the patient truly connects with but abhorrently wishes to avoid.

Now here is a thread in which the author is applying unerring cogency. I wonder how the experiment turned out? Perhaps we'll receive an update soon.

Candice

Comparison and Opinion

blaster, this aint to offend. but if u are a climber already,u probably have more time in with top handles than most.
id say go with what u know fits your hand.
pick up a xxv poulan for backup.
they forgot to put anything that would break in that saw ... except the gas lines etc [easy fix]jmo

Back