It can do all that...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have not been posting much because I've been working on a "Positioning Lanyard Release System". A working prototype was made and is now being concidered by industry. It comprised of two systems; a manual release system wich can be released under heavy pressure that attaches on one side of your saddle and an automatic weight adjustable release section that attacheds on the other side. Each section would messure aprox 6" in length allowing user to use his/her own lanyard and keeping cost down. The system can be used with both sections at the same time or with either the manual or auto section alone. Keep in mind that this system is designed for experienced climbers who are well versed in the technical aspects of climbing. Still a few modifications to make yet but liability issues asside...what do you think of this so far?

MB, as my user name indicated, this is a hobby for me. I'm not developing this thing to get rich, I'm doing it so others might not get hurt or killed. I turn down a number of jobs because it wasn't worth it (to me) to risk my neck for a few of bucks. Then I thought for a bit and realized that someone else would have to do it, it being that high risk tree work. After reading a number of related posts on this and other forums and seeing what other climbers use, it scared the hell out of me. Funny thing is is that I have great respect for most of them and value thier opinions but after hearing what they use makes me wonder. ie)-climbing to position & un-hooking the lanyard then hanging on to it while cutting. :dizzy: , or using a through bag line with breaking strength of 175lbs, or wrapping your legs arount the tree using no lanyard at all. There has to be a better mouse trap! I think I just may have built one. If nothing else, its better than what out on the market at this time! I can't get into the spacifics as to how it "functions" but I can tell you that it does what its designed to do. So far, one manufacture passed on it due to liability reasons but did say it functioned very well. I had been told that Ken Palmer of "Arbormasters" had a look at it and liked it indicating that it does what it was disigned to do. Back to liability & marketability, or so says the manufacturer tells me. The prototype is on its way to another company at this time so I hope to hear something by the end of next week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks & by the way, the next company that will be reviewing this thing will also be reviewing the comments made on this post for marketing reasons. Let them know what your thoughts are,(pro & con). The more posative feedback, the better the chances it will get developed. If anyone has a different application for this thing, please let me know. ie)- Say your removing a crown and it barber-chairs trapping you on the trunk as your lanyard pulls your D's out-ward and you in-ward. Instead of severing your lanyard with a knfe damaging your investment or calling the the fire department to rescue you, just simply pull the manual release handle and your free,(Self Rescue)! There is a bit more to it than that but you get the idea.

There is definitely a place for an escapable lanyard. It isn't something I need everyday but there are trees that make you plan for disaster-I'd like to have the tools to allow for safe escape. Kudos Hobby!

Hears something to think about. Very few people would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft to go skydiving. Thats a fact! Now say you decided to go flying in an old aircraft and all the passengers had the "option" to bring a parachute with them on board and did, but one person decided not to for what ever the reason. The plane climbs to 12000', the engins fail and catch on fire. The pilot comes over the intercom and tells everyone they have to do an "emergency exit" to save thier lives and parachute to safety. So much for the guy who decided he didn't need one, I hope he bought life insurance! All kidding aside, this thing is not an everyday tool for every climber but would it not be nice to have one with you as an option??? ;) HC

Last edited:
Mike, Hobby was around for this whole discussion. He is trying to design something workable. Why don't you wait for the specs before acting like a completely repugnant know-it-all?

Mike, you CAN disagree and critique more tactfully. That's a warning.

My main reservation is that one shouldn't be putting themselves in a situation where such a device would be necessary to begin with, so Mike has a somewhat valid point. Barberchair is deadly, no doubt, but it's also easily avoidable with proper technique.

As for a mechanism, how about a simple steel pin tensiled and sized to fail at a given pressure? A shear pin, if you will. Something on the order of 304ss sized around .030-.050 would shear around 2-300 lbs at 190kPSI.

Ultimately, such a device could have value as another tool in the box.

I like the beltloop idea, but I don't think my beltloops would hold. Maybe if I reinforced them a bit.
Keep working on it, HC.

netree said:
Mike, you CAN disagree and critique more tactfully. That's a warning.

Jeez, all he did was introduce logic and reason into the conversation.

oooooh......a warning.... good one :laugh:

TREETX said:
Jeez, all he did was introduce logic and reason into the conversation.

oooooh......a warning.... good one :laugh:

You call that logic and reasoning? It can be done with just a tad more taste.

Last edited:
Lets not allow this to get out of hand. I take no offence to Mike Mass's comments. In fact, I find he can be very informative,(in his own way) and I've learn a thing or two from him in tha past. He and others have raised a few good points regarding this thing and I thank everyone for thier input!!! There are some obsticals and safety issues with this system but the technology is sound. Its more a matter of making it using the right hardware than the actual designe. ie)- 5000lb rated hardware ? or just use a bypass that is 5000lbs rated? I'll let someone else decide that issue who's more qualified than me. Look at this prototype as a "concept car"...its not the one that will be produced for the general public but many of its features will be used & incorporated in the final product. At this point its like trying to get people to warm up to the idea of "the Parachute" before it had been invented. I'm just getting the ball rolling.

Originally Posted by netree
Mike, you CAN disagree and critique more tactfully. That's a warning

is this what this site has came to?

fire him!

Mike Maas said:
Thanks HC, I figured you would take my comments the way they were intended.

NE, I deleted my first post and left the other two the way I wrote them, Do you still have issues with the thread the way it stands now?

Nope. Thanks, Mike.

kowens said:
Originally Posted by netree
Mike, you CAN disagree and critique more tactfully. That's a warning

is this what this site has came to?

fire him!

If you don't like it, you're free to discuss it with Darin.

Mike, Your memory is failing. Hobby already got our critiques and criticisms a couple of months ago. He has taken that and developed something. I don't know if his invention is great or lousy but he deserves kudos for trying. If the manufacturer who is considering it is looking at this thread for feedback then I want them to know there is a place for such a device-whether or not Hobby's needs refinement or is already flawless. In the previous thread we hashed out that 1. It is best to not get into situations where you are depending on a hazardous tree for support. 2. Even when you have a line or 2 or 3 in another tree a positioning lanyard is still helpful but could be a hazard if the dicey tree fails. This is the specific application that Hobby is trying to address.- Safe positioning without being tied inescapably to an unstable tree.

I see this has been discussed on a second page of posts that I failed to notice. Peace to all. :angel:

Last edited:
Stumper, thank you for your words and getting this post back on track. MB, will do! If I can't get it developed after exhausting every option, I'll post everything I have regarding this thing in this forum. I might even make up a couple extra and sell them to whoever is interested,(use at own risk...), its better than whats being used now!!! Oops, got ahead of myself for a moment. Hey MB, I see you do a fair bit of tree work with cranes. Ever have a section of wood you've just cut swing back your way or something like that??? What do you do to escape that type of situation and could this "thing" be of any value to you,(removals with cranes) ??? Just wondering. HC

Latest posts

Back