It really is a sickness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I started with an ms250, ran it for two years, wasn’t happy with the performance for my needs, bought an ms261, fell in love. Started bucking bigger rounds and started researching bigger saws. Spent months reading about the ms400 and 500i. Bought the 500i on Thursday. Holy cow it’s amazing. Found myself holding the ms400 at the hardware store today. What is wrong with me!
It's a fairly affordable hobby, and most often pays for itself.
No worries... enjoy !!!

user 122190
I started with an ms250, ran it for two years, wasn’t happy with the performance for my needs, bought an ms261, fell in love. Started bucking bigger rounds and started researching bigger saws. Spent months reading about the ms400 and 500i. Bought the 500i on Thursday. Holy cow it’s amazing. Found myself holding the ms400 at the hardware store today. What is wrong with me!

Go cut some wood. After you fell the tree, drag it to the road, buck the branches, cut to 16" lengths, carry it all home, split it, stack it, clean everything up, and finally collapse in front of the TV with a brew clenched in your shaking fist the thought of another saw passes quickly as you pass out. :crazy2:

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought two 2100’s, one 266se, one 240sg when I started the firewood business it cost me $5 k to buy and build the truck to get off road to the wood. I built my own logsplitter.

I now have about 75 plus used Husqvarna saws running and non running I’ve collected. Someday I’ll thin the herd. I figured something to keep me busy. But I have eight old husky dirtbikes to restore. In the past I had 27 huskys with 15 restored running.

After using husky saw I wanted to find out how awesome there bikes were. Just watch On Any Sunday movie I got the bug.

Redgap

Redgap

ArboristSite Operative
I figure it’s not an addiction, if you’re picky and don’t get anything of lesser quality than what you already have. Unfortunately there are a lot of good saws floating around out there looking for a new home...but keep trading up.

GeorgiaVol
It is a fun and reasonably cheap addiction.
I just bought a Shindaiwa 488 parts saw that hopefully I can use with my other 488 parts saw to make a complete saw.
Why, when I have 100 other projects?
Not sure. It came up on the Bay, then I got an email to put an offer on it. I put a pretty low ball offer on it, and they accepted.
Oops.

Crispexx

Crispexx

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
This addiction hit me pretty hard. 2 years ago all I had was an old beat up 024 my dad had left me when he moved out of the woods of California to the city’s of Texas. I only ran the thing whenever we went Christmas tree cutting, and whenever I cut said tree up to put in the waste bin since we lived in town. After accepting a promotion and started supervising a group of guys doing fuels reduction (chainsaws, wood chippers, skid steers) I found out I really liked small engines and chainsaws. I have since moved and own 10 acres of oak and grass woodlands and own 8 saws, including an 044 I bought from a guy In Budapest i rebuilt from the case up including accidentally putting a 12mm crank into a 10mm case, and I’m in charge of maintaining roughly 125 saws at work and teaching classes on chainsaw use and safety. Quite the leap from cutting a yearly Christmas tree. And I found myself looking at another 024 last night for $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMEGANOX

OMEGANOX

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
This thread convinced me to register, been reading this forum since about 2005 I'm guessing. My story short and sweet, the tree business was the first paying gig I ever had as a kid in pennsylvania, biggest I got was one F800 dump body and a gas V8 powered chipper with 3 man crew, but man did we do some epic jobs. Simple harness and rope with a slip knot is all we knew back then, only Asplundh had booms in those days and those were for line clearing. Anyway a few years later I got into another career path and that was that. Bout 15 years ago I moved to GA on a property that had enough trees and acres to justify a new saw, my first since getting out of the business in 85. At the time the hotness was the MS361 so I jumped on that with a 20" bar and until about 18 months ago never felt the need to upgrade to the 362 or anything else for obvious reasons, but then the 500i broke cover in europe and stirred something in me, still, living where I was I just wasnt going to be doing the cutting to justify it. Fast forward to this year and I just moved across the state onto 42 acres of woods and figured now I can pull the trigger on that 500i. So I sold my mint condition 361 for pretty much what I paid for it 15 years earlier and went on the hunt for a 500i, it took some calling around and being told to wait till fall but I was able to run one down at an outfit called Howard Brothers. I had so much deadfall and removal work here to do I grabbed an extra Tsmura 28"er to go with the 25"er that came stock and of course some extra RM's and RS's. Gotta say every time I run this beast I'm that same 17 year old kid again, it's definitely not work for me, it's actually really fun and mentally therapeutic at the same time, and of course the 500i is a machine...
Well after a few weeks of that nirvana and more reading on this forum I thought damn, the 500i really needs a mini me to keep it company, and I need something small and light that I can grab like, ummm 90% of the time around here on the small and mid size stuff. So back to Howard Bros I went and grabbed a 261CM with 18"er and man I gotta tell you guys, this thing is so sweet and handy and light and non fatiguing to use it's going to relegate the 500i to the big stuff only, or at least when I am feeling the need for speed and want to take her for a spin. Now, the next problem on the horizon, and what I need you guys help in determining, how neatly would a new 400CM with a 20" slot in between the 261 and 500i???

user 122190
This thread convinced me to register, been reading this forum since about 2005 I'm guessing. My story short and sweet, the tree business was the first paying gig I ever had as a kid in pennsylvania, biggest I got was one F800 dump body and a gas V8 powered chipper with 3 man crew, but man did we do some epic jobs. Simple harness and rope with a slip knot is all we knew back then, only Asplundh had booms in those days and those were for line clearing. Anyway a few years later I got into another career path and that was that. Bout 15 years ago I moved to GA on a property that had enough trees and acres to justify a new saw, my first since getting out of the business in 85. At the time the hotness was the MS361 so I jumped on that with a 20" bar and until about 18 months ago never felt the need to upgrade to the 362 or anything else for obvious reasons, but then the 500i broke cover in europe and stirred something in me, still, living where I was I just wasnt going to be doing the cutting to justify it. Fast forward to this year and I just moved across the state onto 42 acres of woods and figured now I can pull the trigger on that 500i. So I sold my mint condition 361 for pretty much what I paid for it 15 years earlier and went on the hunt for a 500i, it took some calling around and being told to wait till fall but I was able to run one down at an outfit called Howard Brothers. I had so much deadfall and removal work here to do I grabbed an extra Tsmura 28"er to go with the 25"er that came stock and of course some extra RM's and RS's. Gotta say every time I run this beast I'm that same 17 year old kid again, it's definitely not work for me, it's actually really fun and mentally therapeutic at the same time, and of course the 500i is a machine...
Well after a few weeks of that nirvana and more reading on this forum I thought damn, the 500i really needs a mini me to keep it company, and I need something small and light that I can grab like, ummm 90% of the time around here on the small and mid size stuff. So back to Howard Bros I went and grabbed a 261CM with 18"er and man I gotta tell you guys, this thing is so sweet and handy and light and non fatiguing to use it's going to relegate the 500i to the big stuff only, or at least when I am feeling the need for speed and want to take her for a spin. Now, the next problem on the horizon, and what I need you guys help in determining, how neatly would a new 400CM with a 20" slot in between the 261 and 500i???

The 400 sounds like it is right in the middle. It would be nice for quick jobs when you don't want to load up the entire fleet of saws. Just fill with gas and oil, grab the gloves, eye&ear protection and jump on the ATV.

johnsayen

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
my thoughts exactly! That 400cm sure feels great in the hands.

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
i was at a retirement sale with my rollback,
the guy had been a chainsaw repair guy.
he had a palet with 3 ft side and a lid,full of his parts saws.
he said make me an offer,i did and he took it.
still havent unpacked it.whenever i can't find a part for an older saw i dig through it.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've run 028's and 034's and bought a nice looking 025 awhile back, dirt cheap.
I do not care for the 025. As compared to the 028's and 034's it's not really a desirable saw, not user friendly, have to pull it slow up to the compression catch then pull through, sound tinny when it starts.
Sure glad I did not start out with a 025 or I would have looked at other saw BRANDS thinking most all Stihls are like this 025 instead of now being a stihl lover.
I do not brag on my equipment unless it deserves such.

Latest posts