It's a Pacific Northwest Thing - I'm starting to understand :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airport to Lynnwood to Redmond to Airport.. YUK... I can't image a worse route..

If you want to see the PNW... well... you know a few guys up here..

Yep, that's the route. But stop and go traffic is OK when you're looking around. I did have an extra hour before I had to check the rent car in. Drove a couple of 2 lane roads south of the airport. Y'all do have some blackberries up there. :)

That route to me looks like a 100 or so other cities I've visited... Of course, after Tx, it's all relative.

Guess you figured out that "downtown" lynnwood is no advertisement for the PNW, and not "convenient " to Redmond ;)

This is on flat ground. We do have gentler ground than in the North Cascades.
You musta been here on the only day it didn't rain all year. Like I said, November is the best month weather-wise to visit. Remember, we flood every year and have volcanoes and earthquakes. Down here we still have to sharpen chains frequently because of the ash that is stuck to the trees.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61074&stc=1&d=1197639203
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry, no big trees getting logged here. You are about 15 years too late. The Madill crew plans to be set up again in May or June (they're snowed out now) and "hitting it hard". I get lots of exercise working with those boys.

Last edited:
Nice pics, slowp.

The big difference is really in the size of the average tree.
Here's a picture of a landing area with some trees I sold from my place in Louisiana last spring. Those are loblolly pines, and are about 16" diamater. Decent logs for my part of the country, but probably just saplings up there. The sawmills around there won't take anything over 19" anymore, so you have to log 'em before they get too big or you cost yourself money.

attachment.php

I'm located near a place in Louisiana called 'Rocky Mount', but as you can tell from this shot of a skid trail through a plantation there's not much slope. :)

attachment.php

Anyway, if you have to travel to a big city to work, Seattle is way up on my list. Compared to LA, where I go a lot, Seattle is paradise. Y'all should be real proud of what you have up there.

now im kinda wondrin what those dunes are made of down in florence.? it always did smell kinda funny...:cheers:

Thats 'cause Florence is a chithole! You need to keep driving south to either Winchester or Coos Bay.

If ya make it out again you can see 600 acres of these an hour from seattle
attachment.php

If ya look close you can see Mntgal to the left of the biggest one.

Yep, that's what I'm talkin about. The big tree in the pic is obvious, but the when you look at the tree Mntgal is standing by it would be a real good tree anywhere else. In the pic it looks small, until you think about the perspective with her standing next to it.

We're 3 hours from Seattle, thank goodness, and have those also but you don't see them on the backs of trucks anymore. Too late here for that. Once in a while, a big cull has to come down for safety reasons, but that's about it and it stays in the woods. Too late to see the big ones cut, and then roll/slide down the hill all the way to the creek. Even when the guys tried high stumping, they'd jump and roll on down. It's a good thing not to work on that ground anymore...good for the body. I miss the big stumps to take cover behind though, but in the thinnings, the lines aren't going to whip around too much without hitting a tree. :clap: You people from out of the area may visit, but DO NOT MOVE HERE BECAUSE IT RAINS ALL THE TIME EXCEPT FOR THE DAY WHEN I DECIDE TO TAKE A PICTURE. AND SOMETIMES EVEN WHEN I DO. I'm a snooty native and I think too many people decide to stay here!!:chainsaw: This is what the weather is like all the rest of the year, and you can't see the horizontal sleet that penetrates every opening in the raingear, feeding the mildew, causing the mold, making us grumpy.....
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61143&stc=1&d=1197730966
attachment.php

yup. slowps right its awful wet and nasty here. im a third generation native to washington and i dont think i can remember it not cloudy, windy and rainy.... cept maybe a couple years ago in august.:cheers:

No joke... All the grabage from Island, Skagit and Snohomish counties go there too...

I'll send ya something "nice" this year...

Gary

Actually, the bulk of it also goes to the Rabanco landfill in Roosevelt, WA, right across the Columbia River from Arlington, OR.

Garbage, We got it!!

Don't forget we have been known as the Everglow State. We have Hanford over on the Eastside and it is chock full of nuclear waste which will soon doom us to having a radioactive river. My daddy built Hanford along with a few dams on the Columbia, which are also dooming us to something. Besides being told that we'd be thrown out the windows when our "firetrap" grade school caught on fire, we were also told we'd be nuked because of all the stuff in the state. Don't come here cuz were doomed, doomed I say! Tomorrow I am going to participate in another PNW sport, mud shoveling and maybe throw in a session of soggy insulation removal. Doomed once again!!:cry: :eek:

You forgot the E-coli tainted water, dead cows and the fertilizer/waste oil floating around in the fields.

Stay away, for you own safety.

You forgot the E-coli tainted water, dead cows and the fertilizer/waste oil floating around in the fields.

Stay away, for you own safety.

Your right, I lived in Washignton for 17 years, and that is where I fall timber (I live on the OR/WA border on the Columbia). I can't tell you how many streams I have seen filled with cows dropping dung and down below, fertilizer runoff pouring in. Also...we have a lot of backwoods methlabs, grow ops, and survivalists armed to the teeth waiting to shoot at anything that moves into their area or anyone with CA plates.

Latest posts

Back