Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally off topic... but a rather well know espresso machine company had us do some R+D work on a new milk steamer, that would have the steam shooting down and at an angle to make the milk swirl and heat faster? (not sure of the reasoning) it was all well and good and took some interesting and fun tooling to make happen, but I don't think the end product was what they had in mind... rather then a pleasing swirly cloud of steam, I'm thinking it was a quick bath in scalding hot milk shooting straight out of the cup and dousing everyone in the room... but hey, they paid the bill and were happy with the part...
Still haven't seen one in real life use yet lol.

yeah, I do agree with most of that
Seems the latest suit is very current, and I think based in NV where as most of the prior mining took place on the OR side. So, its anyones guess.
Think they discovered lithium in 2017? there, the news of it is being the largest known deposit.
Though there are active lithium mines in Canaddada, and Montucky?
There is significant desire to have domestic lithium production here in the US, if only for military reasons, There is skookum about the army wanting Electric or even hybrid electric tanks sooner then later. Which would make domestic production a necessity if only for ITAR reasons

Note: ITAR is one of the many reasons I got out of machining, seems everyone wants to make bombs around here, and I'd rather not see my work dropped on some illiterate goon simply for the bomb companies to turn a profit... General Dynamics, Rocketdyne, Boeing, few others I can't remember are all a big deal around here... I was much happier making medical lasers and parts for weirdo's with crazy ideas about coffee. Not to mention that the tolerances for the bomb people were simply stupid, mirror finishes on bolts, and minor parts, things that will never be seen by another living being, simply to drive up the cost, the greed alone turned my stomach. MIL-SPEC is all fine and good, and most things are made with those tolerances in mind (really MIl-SPEC is pretty forgiving) so when the tolerances on a given part are tighter then that, it makes you question why, when you know it could be way sloppier and still form fit and function, but be 300% cheaper to produce...
Montucky 😂😂

Cool, how about all the gov programs that HAVE worked and not been giant failures? Can't always be winners no matter who's responsible
I mean the gods created this world, and we still have mosquitoes.
as for they companies you linked to... for every company that applies for guv funding, and fails, 100's succeed, just cause one fails do we abandon every new idea as a failure out the gate?
Well DDT worked well on the mosquitoes...............not so well on other things

I stand corrected... (I don't have TV so I don't see car commercialslike ever)

consider that oil co exec are all card carrying republicans that benefit with more drilling, and foreign wars everytime a GOP conman is in office? Halliburton is owned by who again? oh yeah D. Cheney, where does all the Bush families money come from? How about the Rockerfellers? they unashamedly price gouge whenever a Dem is in office, because they then get the guy that gives them all the really good dirt and leases for next to nothing.

The Function of government is the protection and prosperity of the people, full stop, if that means supporting new technology that promotes those things then you spend the money to improve protection and prosperity, otherwise the countries that DO spend money on such things will outpace us in a matter of a few years. Such gov funding is what made the USA one of if not the industrial superpower it is today.

And yet, both the times I've paid $5/gal for gas have been when a certain party is in power, and not the other? The GOP warmongers in the past I would agree with you, we as a country need to mind our own business and quit policing the world, and I vehemently disagreed with them then. The GOP isn't the party being warmongers lately, though.

You can use the "protection and prosperity of the people" argument to pass anything, and it simply doesn't apply. The government is only meant to provide very little protection, and no prosperity. Prosperity is all on you to achieve yourself. Stealing funds from some people and giving those funds to other people is not a legitimate purpose of government. Even if the business venture is a success, and creates more jobs, and gives more taxes to the people, the original folks who had their $$$ stolen at the barrel of an IRS agent's gun didn't get any of their money back, and didn't get a say in whether they invested in the venture or not. It's stealing, plain and simple, and the fact that the government is doing it doesn't change that at all.

the thing about grants and gov loans, is...
We all benefit from it, maybe/probably not directly, but every new company creates jobs, creates income, that income creates more tax revenue, often times much much more then the gov invested. Every job added means one more person not on food stamps or section 8 housing, in the long run investing in small businesses or cutting edge technology reduces poverty, and reduces dependency on gov handouts, and it is an investment, while "free money" is out there you have to actually do the work to get it, and most of the money for these types of programs are in the form of loans that have to be paid back WITH interest.

edit:
I mean, we can all keep whining about wellfare queens, and lazy no good xxxx folks and how they are a drain on society, or... we can spend the money that creates jobs and helps build people up rather then continue to talk down to them and keep them "othered" so that those with jobs can have someone to feel superior too. Which route do you suppose is more cost effective?

That's the argument from consequences logical fallacy. Private industry can invest their own funds far more effectively and efficiently than any government can. Stop using government to fund private business ventures, reduce everyone's taxes accordingly, and let private folks invest in whatever they want to invest in.

"Spend money to create jobs or give welfare handouts" is a false dichotomy, which is yet another logical fallacy. We can also get the government out of the way so private business can thrive, stop paying people to stay at home, stop paying people to have kids they can't support, and let people take care of themselves.

One political side judges their compassion by how many people they're giving welfare to. The other side judges their compassion by how many people don't need welfare.

And yet, both the times I've paid $5/gal for gas have been when a certain party is in power
well, the gov does not control oil prices, private industry does.
One political side judges their compassion by how many people they're giving welfare to. The other side judges their compassion by how many people don't need welfare.
yet people will always need welfare, one side wants to make it harder or even impossible, while the other is trying to make it easier to not need it, same argument from different sides

yet people will always need welfare, one side wants to make it harder or even impossible, while the other is trying to make it easier to not need it, same argument from different sides

To the surprise of nobody, I disagree. Think I'll leave it there.

Not entirely true . The policies of an administration can effect price, the issuance of leases or the cancellation of them can effect price rather quickly . Biden caused increases with just his rederic that he was going to end drilling and fossil fuels in general .

You can argue each side of whether the government has control over oil prices. You cannot argue if they have control over gas and diesel prices because the most certainly do.

Not entirely true . The policies of an administration can effect price, the issuance of leases or the cancellation of them can effect price rather quickly . Biden caused increases with just his rederic that he was going to end drilling and fossil fuels in general .
Ok, but he was also going to legalize pot nationwide... that hasn't happened either.

I sometimes wonder if folks realize that a good deal of my misspelling of stuff is supposed to be funny... WaRshington, TexasS (well that ones not exactly funny...) Self LoaTHer DumB truck, OreEgone etc
My 8th grade Engrish teacher certainly didn't have a sense of humor about it. (jerk also needed glasses but hey what do I know)

Well DDT worked well on the mosquitoes...............not so well on other things
As you know, it has been banned here in the US. Interestingly enough, it is still being manufactured and used in almost every third world country. The end result is that it is still reaching the US through the fruits, vegetables, plants, seafood, etc. The last study of 12 to 14 year old girls breast milk (can't remember year but recent) still showed high levels of DDT. The soil half-life for DDT is from 2 to 15 years. The half-life of DDT in an aquatic environment is about 150 years. Definitely some bad ****. jmho :cool: OT

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A123_Systems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solyndra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abound_Solar
There is a very long list of government funded failures to the tune of billions in losses.
In a 1948 speech to the British House of Commons, Winston Churchill said, “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” No matter the origin, the sentiments are eternal.

yeah, I do agree with most of that
Seems the latest suit is very current, and I think based in NV where as most of the prior mining took place on the OR side. So, its anyones guess.
Think they discovered lithium in 2017? there, the news of it is being the largest known deposit.
Though there are active lithium mines in Canaddada, and Montucky?
There is significant desire to have domestic lithium production here in the US, if only for military reasons, There is skookum about the army wanting Electric or even hybrid electric tanks sooner then later. Which would make domestic production a necessity if only for ITAR reasons

Note: ITAR is one of the many reasons I got out of machining, seems everyone wants to make bombs around here, and I'd rather not see my work dropped on some illiterate goon simply for the bomb companies to turn a profit... General Dynamics, Rocketdyne, Boeing, few others I can't remember are all a big deal around here... I was much happier making medical lasers and parts for weirdo's with crazy ideas about coffee. Not to mention that the tolerances for the bomb people were simply stupid, mirror finishes on bolts, and minor parts, things that will never be seen by another living being, simply to drive up the cost, the greed alone turned my stomach. MIL-SPEC is all fine and good, and most things are made with those tolerances in mind (really MIl-SPEC is pretty forgiving) so when the tolerances on a given part are tighter then that, it makes you question why, when you know it could be way sloppier and still form fit and function, but be 300% cheaper to produce...
Would you care to explain Montucky?

Would you care to explain Montucky?
its actually one I picked up from someone else, Tarzan Tree, who's from around here (w warshington) but moved to Montucky... It makes sense to me as I'm from Wyoming, and as we all know Montuckians are all sheep shagging hill billies, course they say the same thing about us from Wyoming (jokes on both of us its all the same herd of sheep...)

He did cancel leases . And pot is still illegal by federal law even if your state "legalised"it . Dont get caught going from one state to another with it even if its "legal" in both states
cancelled a few yes, noteably a few that capt dingdong signed off on that were in fragile eco systems, but signed off on plenty more, not to mention there are literally 1000's of leases that haven't even been drilled yet.
Since literacy seems to be an issue here, hence why I mentioned that Biden has yet to legalize pot nationwide.

cancelled a few yes, noteably a few that capt dingdong signed off on that were in fragile eco systems, but signed off on plenty more, not to mention there are literally 1000's of leases that haven't even been drilled yet.
Since literacy seems to be an issue here, hence why I mentioned that Biden has yet to legalize pot nationwide.
He doesn’t have the power to make it legal . So you statement makes no sense . It would take an act Congress
No issue in literacy your statement was stupid

He doesn’t have the power to make it legal . So you statement makes no sense . It would take an act Congress
No issue in literacy your statement was stupid

Sasquatch, doesn’t understand the difference between “Should of” and “Should’ve”, being a contraction of “Should Have”, nor the difference between “Then” and “Than”, among others, but still comments on Literacy 🙄

Doug 😎

Here are three interesting links:
  1. "There's an affordable EV out there displacing twice as much oil as electric cars." Namely, e-bikes, e-trikes, and other forms of "personal transportation." This article sums up my view. Basically, e-cars and e-trucks are enormously heavy and require tremendous amounts of energy to accelerate. I couldn't believe it when I learned that my son-in-law's Ford Mustang Mach-e weighs 4,850 pounds. I can remember driving an 1880-pound Plymouth Champ and a 2,050-pound Toyota Corolla.
  2. "Electric vehicles: Will they save us or destroy us?" by the smartest YouTuber I follow, German theoretical physicist Sabine Hossenfelder. She always presents the strongest arguments from both sides.
  3. "Are electric cars really better for the environment?" from The Washington Post, which, yes, I know many of you don't trust. That's a shame, because this writer acknowledges the many arguments against e-vehicles are valid.
My view: I agree with the writer of the e-bike article: Let's shift to battery power to power small equipment--especially small equipment that's disproportionately dirty, namely equipment that uses two-cycle engines. I have no problem with 4-cycle outdoor power equipment.

Back