Its Electric!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And this question has been puzzling me.

Electric chainsaws--when they become practical to use professionally, what will be the safety protocol? Will fallers be able to hear folks who are looking for their location? Will we holler at each other? Whistles? Use drones to check on stuff?

I remember being freaked out once by coming across fallers who were jacking a tree over, and I didn't know where they were because there was no saw noise going. I was above them, but trees don't always NOT go uphill.

That is real nice. I ask you an honest question regarding a subject you post on. You post back an insult. I do not see that as productive but I guess you do.
if you don't comprehend how wind, solar, and tidal work by now, I'm not going waste the time or effort to educate someone that remains willfully ignorant.
p.s. we've been through this a number of times on separate threads on this forum, you don't get it, and you refuse to learn, and frankly I don't give a damn anymore.

and your point is?
That you accuse others of bias against, yet you demonstrate bias in favor .
Wind, Solar, and tidal are unstoppable and clean,
They are not "unstoppable" they all stop, making them unsuitable at this time for base load power.
Adding batteries takes any notion of "clean" off the table.
Then you have the monumental task of getting anything built in the first place.
https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/17316/20110316/hammond-wind-farm-put-on-hold
Organizations like this
https://www.savetheriver.org/
Fight to stop the development.
Take note of the date there still isn't any wind farm.

That you accuse others of bias against, yet you demonstrate bias in favor .

They are not "unstoppable" they all stop, making them unsuitable at this time for base load power.
Adding batteries takes any notion of "clean" off the table.
Then you have the monumental task of getting anything built in the first place.
https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/17316/20110316/hammond-wind-farm-put-on-hold
Organizations like this
https://www.savetheriver.org/
Fight to stop the development.
Take note of the date there still isn't any wind farm.
You been to Ellensburg WA, I-5 heading south into LA or anywhere in the Wind River of WY? These are built, and producing power and have been for several years. There's a Massive (i mean huge) windmill north of Dublin Ireland thats been there since at least 2005, as well as hundreds more I've not seen personally. Not to mention the 100's of solar powered homes in my area and the massive solar arrays in NV and CA. (note: the wind river system is responsible for the shuttering of at least 6 coal/nat gas fired plants just this year)

Sure I guess if I spent a little time and searched with the right collection of words I could find dozens of alternative energy projects that were squashed for one reason or another, doesn't change that there are many more that are up and running TODAY, with plans to build many more.

Batteries are far cleaner then fossil fuels, so stop repeating oil corp propaganda. Even lead acid batteries, for that matter.

And yeah hydro power AS I STATED ALREADY has its drawbacks, still a damned site better then nuclear fission.
As for stopping them, you try and stop the wind, or the sun, yes night comes and the winds shift, thats why these systems are huge, annnnnd have battery backup. Better yet I'd pay good money to see anyone stop the tides. (honestly I don't think the wind ever stops in the wind river area, always there always brisk)

You been to Ellensburg WA, I-5 heading south into LA or anywhere in the Wind River of WY? These are built, and producing power and have been for several years. There's a Massive (i mean huge) windmill north of Dublin Ireland thats been there since at least 2005, as well as hundreds more I've not seen personally. Not to mention the 100's of solar powered homes in my area and the massive solar arrays in NV and CA. (note: the wind river system is responsible for the shuttering of at least 6 coal/nat gas fired plants just this year)

Sure I guess if I spent a little time and searched with the right collection of words I could find dozens of alternative energy projects that were squashed for one reason or another, doesn't change that there are many more that are up and running TODAY, with plans to build many more.

Batteries are far cleaner then fossil fuels, so stop repeating oil corp propaganda. Even lead acid batteries, for that matter.

And yeah hydro power AS I STATED ALREADY has its drawbacks, still a damned site better then nuclear fission.
As for stopping them, you try and stop the wind, or the sun, yes night comes and the winds shift, thats why these systems are huge, annnnnd have battery backup. Better yet I'd pay good money to see anyone stop the tides. (honestly I don't think the wind ever stops in the wind river area, always there always brisk)
There are wind projects here, the problem is it is going to take a lot more to even come close to meeting the demand. Perhaps you should set aside your bias and look at the environmental destruction being perpetrated in the name of clean energy. Just because you can't see it from your back yard doesn't mean it is clean. I have no issue with trying to be more environmentally friendly I have no problem with experimenting with alternatives in the hopes they can be made green with refinement. You are spouting tree hugger propaganda, not reality
https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/the-environmental-impact-of-lithium-batteries/

There are wind projects here, the problem is it is going to take a lot more to even come close to meeting the demand. Perhaps you should set aside your bias and look at the environmental destruction being perpetrated in the name of clean energy. Just because you can't see it from your back yard doesn't mean it is clean. I have no issue with trying to be more environmentally friendly I have no problem with experimenting with alternatives in the hopes they can be made green with refinement. You are spouting tree hugger propaganda, not reality
https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/the-environmental-impact-of-lithium-batteries/
Hope you are using a stone axe to cut trees. Don't drive. Move into a cave because everything is the result of experimenting.

Again, I live in an area that is 99% renewable energy, so tell me again how it can't be done?

Call me a tree hugger, I'm really ok with that, can't log em if there isn't any to cut.

While your whining about how bad things with solar/wind/tidal, have you been to an open pit coal mine lately? how about the oil fields of WY and TX? Oh but lithium sobbb whinge etc any idea how much mercury is released because of coal mines? how about all the natural gas emissions from the oil wells that are not maintained, or that is simply left to off gas?
Seen the results of an oil spill lately? Remember the Exon Valdez, or that offshore rig that went off a couple years ago?
Hell there are numerous major spills just from pipe lines every year we don't even hear about.
Let alone the oil trains occasionally crashing and burning down entire towns

But no... lets focus on the batteries that are easily stored, less volatile then gasoline, last 10 years or more, and are cheap to produce?

The really funny thing, some folks would rather stick with a fuel they have to pay for, everyday, paying some corporate scum bag inflated rates, just because they can, then use something that is free to everyone, you can install solar or wind today at your house and once you've paid for the system, yer done, no more power bill, the sun doesn't need your cash, the wind has no use for money, no one controls them, no one can stop them all you have to do is harvest that energy.

Nuclear shmooklear. everyone's suddenly got a hard on for fission power, do ya all not remember Chernobyl, Fukishima, Hanford, 3 Mile Is.?

Wind, Solar, and tidal are unstoppable and clean, Hydro is clean but we can argue about dams causing other damages, if folks were to give the "green" energy an unbiased look, its by far better then fossil or fission, sadly though the fossil fuel folks and to some extent the fission folks have been S talking it for decades now, have to ask yourself why.

You left out Windscale, Mayak, Sellafield… And on. It’s an efficient way to produce energy, it’s just the initial expenditure to get the damn thing going, waste during and then the remnants after that turn nuclear off for me. It may be a necessary evil in the future to get off coal and natural gas, but I doubt its long term future.

To the more recent posts… I grew up not far from strip mines, particularly mountaintop removal sites. Or swipe passes from the hills of Appalachia. Tailings dams, the like. Full of mercury, arsenic and other assorted heavy metals and neurotoxins that wash off coal.

Hell, I had an entire business in PA building roads and wellpads for hydrofracking. They’re some nasty operations.

Yeah, I’d take some wind turbines. Dams are scary and only have a limited lifespan. If they’re not designed well… It’s bad. (Read: Vajont, I think 1963) But, at this point I’m comfortable with most of the engineering going into it.

Where would you propose all those items be implemented in the USA?
Wind generation is a joke. The maintenance cost is more then the income from the electric. And that is only AFTER the taxpayers give the energy company a free generator/tower. They are abandoned in 20 years, leaving the eyesore and 300 to 500 cubic yards of concrete for the farmer to clean up afterwards. That is NOT counting the environmental cost of building the monster in the first place.

Solar is about the same, only easier to clean up, but recyclable, mostly landfill.

Lektrick cars cost more over the lifecycle and do mare environmental damage over the lifecycle than Diesel cars or gasoline powered. The greenie weenies, just IGNORE the costs of moving the ores, producing the batteries, etc AND ignore the costs of the HAZMAT when the Lektrick car is abandoned. They also conveniently ignore that no new generation is being built to charge these "wonder machines." Life is great so long as your head is in the sand. But the fire WILL burn your bum anyway! I used to be for wind. Until I saw the awful damage done to formerly productive farmland and started figuring the total lifecycle cost, and saw the ugly rusty abandoned windmills in Hawaii.

Wind generation is a joke. The maintenance cost is more then the income from the electric. And that is only AFTER the taxpayers give the energy company a free generator/tower. They are abandoned in 20 years, leaving the eyesore and 300 to 500 cubic yards of concrete for the farmer to clean up afterwards. That is NOT counting the environmental cost of building the monster in the first place.

Solar is about the same, only easier to clean up, but recyclable, mostly landfill.

Lektrick cars cost more over the lifecycle and do mare environmental damage over the lifecycle than Diesel cars or gasoline powered. The greenie weenies, just IGNORE the costs of moving the ores, producing the batteries, etc AND ignore the costs of the HAZMAT when the Lektrick car is abandoned. They also conveniently ignore that no new generation is being built to charge these "wonder machines." Life is great so long as your head is in the sand. But the fire WILL burn your bum anyway! I used to be for wind. Until I saw the awful damage done to formerly productive farmland and started figuring the total lifecycle cost, and saw the ugly rusty abandoned windmills in Hawaii.
OOPS! I missed a very important word!
Solar is about the same, only easier to clean up, but NOT recyclable, mostly landfill.

if you don't comprehend how wind, solar, and tidal work by now, I'm not going waste the time or effort to educate someone that remains willfully ignorant.
p.s. we've been through this a number of times on separate threads on this forum, you don't get it, and you refuse to learn, and frankly I don't give a damn anymore.
Another great post with insults.

I do understand how they work (well not tidal) I asked you where you would implement them. That was an honest question and you chose an insult. You talk about willfully ignorant...well many folks are truly ignorant in the fact that they pipe off about wind and hydro but have no clue about where they can be placed nor the ramifications of the placement. Both methods have limited areas of use specifically hydro. solar is a bit easier to implement but has a entirely different set of ramifications.

Again, I live in an area that is 99% renewable energy, so tell me again how it can't be done?

Call me a tree hugger, I'm really ok with that, can't log em if there isn't any to cut.

While your whining about how bad things with solar/wind/tidal, have you been to an open pit coal mine lately? how about the oil fields of WY and TX? Oh but lithium sobbb whinge etc any idea how much mercury is released because of coal mines? how about all the natural gas emissions from the oil wells that are not maintained, or that is simply left to off gas?
Seen the results of an oil spill lately? Remember the Exon Valdez, or that offshore rig that went off a couple years ago?
Hell there are numerous major spills just from pipe lines every year we don't even hear about.
Let alone the oil trains occasionally crashing and burning down entire towns

But no... lets focus on the batteries that are easily stored, less volatile then gasoline, last 10 years or more, and are cheap to produce?

The really funny thing, some folks would rather stick with a fuel they have to pay for, everyday, paying some corporate scum bag inflated rates, just because they can, then use something that is free to everyone, you can install solar or wind today at your house and once you've paid for the system, yer done, no more power bill, the sun doesn't need your cash, the wind has no use for money, no one controls them, no one can stop them all you have to do is harvest that energy.
You are missing the point, I haven't said there weren't problems with the other sources of energy.
I am pointing out you are just trading horses. I looked into wind here a few years ago, the windmill had a projected lifespan of 20 years. The loan would have been 23 years after NYCERDA subsidies. The warranty on the mill was 3 years, not really a confidence booster in ever reaching a point where it paid for its self or saw a benefit.
and are cheap to produce?
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...s-the-price-we-could-pay-for-a-greener-future
Of course it is cheap, when it is someone elses kids in someone elses back yard breaking their backs.
You are looking at this through rose colored glasses. I use battery powered tools daily, I own thousands of dollars worth of them. Battery tech is advancing in leaps and bounds, but there is a dark side to them and anyone who thinks differently is sadly mistaken. The green and sustainability is not there.

About 10 years ago now I was working for action mining in sumerset pa. They were putting wind mills up as the pits were being back filled. Got to talking with one of the technicians and he said if it wasn't for the government subsidies there wouldn't be money in the turbines in our area. They projected 20 year life of the turbines, but we're having main shaft bearing issues between 2 and 5 years. That guy was there to address the issue in a 3 year old turbine.

I am pointing out you are just trading horses.
Exactly. I can't understand how anyone thinks batteries are the solution. Its Trading one pollution for another.

But when we think of extraction, we think of fossil fuels like coal and gas. Unfortunately, lithium also falls under the same umbrella, despite paving the way for an electric future.. Lithium can be described as the non-renewable mineral that makes renewable energy possible - often touted as the next oil.

And then there's the issue of water which is a precious resource in airid climates where lithium is available. 3rd world communities have taken a back seat to the spigot when it comes to water supply leaving them with hard to make decisions like watching your crops die so your village has enough drinking water. That's assuming it hasn't been contaminated as is often the case with little regulation
The production of lithium through evaporation ponds uses a lot of water - around 21 million litres per day. Approximately 2.2 million litres of water is needed to produce one ton of lithium.

“The extraction of lithium has caused water-related conflicts with different communities, such as the community of Toconao in the north of Chile,” the FoE report specifies.

https://www-euronews-com.cdn.amppro...s-reveal-the-dark-side-of-our-electric-future

Nuclear shmooklear. everyone's suddenly got a hard on for fission power, do ya all not remember Chernobyl, Fukishima, Hanford, 3 Mile Is.?

Wind, Solar, and tidal are unstoppable and clean, Hydro is clean but we can argue about dams causing other damages, if folks were to give the "green" energy an unbiased look, its by far better then fossil or fission, sadly though the fossil fuel folks and to some extent the fission folks have been S talking it for decades now, have to ask yourself why.
Nope. Not feasible without cheap storage, which is unlikely to ever exist. There have actually been fewer deaths from nuclear plants than from the emissions of coal-fired plants. And today's nuclear plants are much safer. No one died from the 3-mile island or Fukoshima incidents.

OH BUT THE MAINTAINANCE!

How often do you think the turbines in a steam plant get changed? or their bearings? How about the Pelton wheel in a hydro plant? Or the boiler tubes get cleaned and changed?
Everything wears out.
The lithium batteries will be or already are recyclable, can't say that about diesel.
Solar panels not being recyclable? on what planet?, they are actually really simple, just a few different types of metal and glass, probably easier then recycling computers and theres a whole industry set up for that.
FFS its almost like you guys just refuse to acknowledge just how durty fossil fuels are.

Latest posts

Back