It's good to be back at Arboristsite! How's everybody been?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a nip in the air and the leaves are turning color so that means its coming into my favorite time of year! Woodcutting season! Had a busy summer working and running kids to ballgames and such so I didn't get to the woodlot as much as I wanted but tomorrow that all is gonna change!! Woo Hoo! Bring on the saws!!

I haven't been on much, but after sharpening chains and gassing up saws in the shed tonight I realized it was time to catch up with my firewood cutting buddies on the forum! What's everybody been up to? I miss any good fights? lol. I'll give a quick update of my time away with some pics and feel free to chime in with your own too!

First off I said fairwell to my old beloved John Deere AMT 600 gator to upgrade to a newer version. I'll miss the 4 wheel drive this winter, but I added a winch to the 4x2 and it gets me to the woods (5 miles away) faster with a bigger bed and room for a passenger(aka woodslave):
image.jpg

We'll see how it handles the winter duty but it made for enjoyable wood gathering trips this summer a few times. I also found my Dad a sweet utility cart that he can run to his woods from craigslist. Heald/ Kimball Hauler. Very clean and it works well. Dad likes it!:
image.jpg
Heck, even the two year old got a used deal on one like his old man. Can you tell I like utvs?
image.jpg

Although I didn't cut much wood, I did get to run a saw a little! You may remember the upside down "paul bunyan legs" I carved last winter to try out my carving hand. I slapped a lil paint on his redwing boots and some sealer and he's hanging in there:
image.jpg
My neighbor/wood cutting buddy does a lot of deep sea fishing so on one of his trips I snuck over and turned his dead maple into a yellow fin tuna for him to greet him when he came home:
image.jpg
Turned out ok for my limited time and I learned a few things like needing a dime tip bar and if you carve a 7 foot 300 lb fish it should have more holding wood than two fish lips. I also learned what the heck a yellowfin tuna looks like from the internet because the good Lord knows I've never met one! Also according to the neighbor, hardware store rattle cans give fairly realistic yellowfin colors. Sorta.

Finally, a pic of the wood pile. I said it last year, but I'll say it again this year. I need to find more time to cut more wood!
image.jpg
Chime in with your pics and summer preparing for old man winter and wood cutting season. I feel like hunters do before opening day!

way cool fish!

Plenty of good posts last time frame, nice almost scuffle going on in the semi monthly epa thread

There's a high end axe travel around tryout deal going, check out the sticky up above

Thanks for the update zog! Funny, but I just saw the leveraxe 2 video just earlier today! Kinda pricey but interesting nonetheless. Looking forward to hearing the reviews. Hope they kept you busy over the summer! I'm sure they did!

Man that Gator with 8 logs on the back of it is a BEAST!!! Great thread and love the pics!!!

Thanks for the kind art reviews but it was good to use a saw today the way it was meant to be used...buried deep in the meaty trunk of an ash tree! Woo hoo! I had a relatively good day cleaning up trails and dropping 4 EAB ash trees in an area that is usually swampy but dry now. Gotta get 'em while the gettin is good.
Here's the only pic I snapped while gassing up:
image.jpg
We had beautiful weather here and the day would have been great except I pinched a bar on the fifth and final tree back cut and forgot the sledge for my wedges. Shoulda stopped at 4. Got tired and a little sloppy. I should know better! Hopefully I can finish it off tomorrow and haul home some loads before it gets soggy again back there. But it's good to be back! Speaking of backs....Advil please!

Wow, a new wood buggy? I didn't think you'd let that old AMT go.

Good to see you back!

RIP Gaytor 5 wheeler:(
image.jpg

It was a tough decision Evan! A friend offered me the 04 gator for a really good price and I couldn't say no. It has been really nice in the warmer months to use and I just popped a pesky groundhog with 3 kids(two year old stayed quiet! attaboy) along tonight from it, but I'm going to miss that 4 wheel drive when things get soggy! Wife was even fine for me keeping both but I screwed up and took it's garage space with another vintage piece:
image.jpg

Daggone craigslist! 1972 Suzuki 125 Prospector Enduro. The first dirtbike I ever owned. It's much cleaner than the first one and it has had a chainsaw on that rack! And as a bonus it qualifies for a vintage plate now. Let's not talk about the "giant" pumpkin on the rack. My brother beat me again this year in our giant pumpkin contest with his 667 lb'er. The dreaded squash vine borers got me again! I did win the ribbon for smallest pumpkin and best presentation so that's something to build on. But not much.

image.jpg And the Johnny red is back in action! Did a Lil tweaking on the stainless bar guides(?) to make this bar work that I bought in an $18 combo from baileys last year. I won't show pics of the sandvik bar that got pinched and bent:(
Cheap but it'll work!

Now the weekend was a success. Got about 2 cords cut and one home Sunday between daughter's volleyball games. Gonna rain the rest of the week. Miller time! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back